Coronavirus

Old Aug 31st 2021, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Except that there are a lot of Federal laws and regulations and they are very much enforced.

Feds could issue vaccine “passports” in the same manner they issue actual passports without involvement of the provinces if they wanted to. For example:

1. Develop a single Canadian standard for a proof of vaccination document
2. Specify application process and what individuals have to submit, eg
- Go to a doctor.

- Ask them to print a copy of your provincial immunization record and certify it as a true copy (as they can do for a Cdn passport or OAS applications).
- Take/send the certified copy and POV (proof of vaccination) application to your nearest Service Canada office.
- Pick up or have Service Canada mail your card in 1-2 weeks.
3. Implement a consistent set of requirements across Federally regulated industries.
4. Encourage businesses to follow suit. Most will be happy to oblige.

5. Tell Kenney and his cronies to take a hike. Most provincial governments are on board by now.

In fact, the feds are finally doing it for international travel because they have no choice. They are also bribing the provinces with our/taxpayer money to implement a hotchpotch mess of a system within the country.
Old Aug 31st 2021, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Just my simple viewpoint on the whole vaccine and passport thing....

I get that people feel their civil liberties are being taken away with vaccine passports and they should have the choice in whether to have the vaccine or not.....

But....

......and I am sure many others feel the same...as far as I can see vaccination is the only way out of this and the only way to break the chain, so if having the vaccine and introducing vaccine passports gets us back to normal so we can put all this crap behind us, then I am all for it.... its a good trade off in my book. Call it a passport back to normality!! Lets move on!!!
Old Sep 1st 2021, 2:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

some charts that may be of interest form BC today.

Cases tend to be highest in areas such as Kamloops, the Cariboo Chilcotin and Nechako regions where vaccination rates are also some of the lowest, central Okanagen is going showing improvement with the exception of Creston, Nelson, Enderby, and Vernon area.

Good news is the spike in vaccination rates are in some of these places with the highest cases, so people are getting their rear ends in gear, makes sense as you probably wont see much of a spike in areas with high vaccination rates already.

Only 7 people under the age of 10 admitted to hospital over the past month, all recovered, and while cases have increased in children its not rising rapidly, approx. 650,000 people in BC under age of 12 who are not eligible for the vaccine yet.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 1st 2021 at 2:28 am.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is with calling these things "vaccination passports".

For heaven's sake, having to show a "vaccination record" is NOT unusual .............. every parent of a child has to show that before a child can enter kindergarten here in BC, or provide reason for the child not having been vaccinated.

That is for exactly the same reason that the record for covid vaccination is being mandated ................. to protect others as well as the individual.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 12:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
The problem is with calling these things "vaccination passports".

For heaven's sake, having to show a "vaccination record" is NOT unusual .............. every parent of a child has to show that before a child can enter kindergarten here in BC, or provide reason for the child not having been vaccinated.

That is for exactly the same reason that the record for covid vaccination is being mandated ................. to protect others as well as the individual.
Can’t remember whether we had to show proof or sign a declaration for vaccinations, when my daughter attended school in New Jersey. It had to be done every year before the beginning of the school year.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 12:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

Same here Scilly, Australia has a 'No Jab No Pay' policy which means if children don't have all their immunisations the parents lose the Family Tax Benefit and the Child Care Subsidy. Parents of children with a medical exemption recorded on the government's immunisation register are exempt, but there are no exemptions on religious, cultural or 'I don't believe in vaccinations' grounds. All children under 19 are offered a free 'catch up' program of immunisations so there really is no excuse.

Old Sep 1st 2021, 1:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Same here Scilly, Australia has a 'No Jab No Pay' policy which means if children don't have all their immunisations the parents lose the Family Tax Benefit and the Child Care Subsidy. Parents of children with a medical exemption recorded on the government's immunisation register are exempt, but there are no exemptions on religious, cultural or 'I don't believe in vaccinations' grounds. All children under 19 are offered a free 'catch up' program of immunisations so there really is no excuse.
What a great idea.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 1st 2021 at 8:28 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Sep 1st 2021, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Whar a great idea.
Some US states have removed religious and cultural exemptions, only 6 but the list is slowly growing.

California, Mississippi, West Virginia, CT, New York & Maine,

Plus the US territories of American Samoa, Guam, US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, & Northern Mariana Islands.

US wouldn't be able to bring in federal law really because public health, vaccines, schools are a state level responsibility and feds have limited ability to stomp on states rights.

Anyhow I wouldn't say adults having to suddenly show vaccine records is exactly normal and is pretty unusual at least in Canada where most adults have likely never needed to produce their actual vaccine records for their day to day life in Canada.

I've never once been asked in my adult life had to produce a vaccine record, which I couldn't do anyhow since there are no records, well I have one now with COVID, if I ever needed to prove childhood vaccinations, I would need to get vaccinated again to produce the records, since my 1970's and 80's era paper records are not longer in existence and the doctor who did them long dead and well beyond the requirement of retaining medical records which is like 5 years I think in California.

I am okay with vaccine passports for non-essential things, I am vaccinated but I also don't go to any of the places on the list, so I feel no rush to get the vaccine card when they begin offering it for downloading whatever their plan is, its been a little vague so far and likely rushed, so will be interesting to see what they come up with to make it secure and apparently difficult to fake.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 1st 2021 at 7:06 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I had to produce evidence that I had had a smallpox vaccination when we entered the US for a several month stay back in the late '60s. It was awful having to have it as an adult. It's the only time I have had a bad reaction at the vaccination site.

And, I think I have already posted, that we had to produce evidence that our 15 month old daughter had to have proof of smallpox vaccination, as well as ourselves being asked to make a declaration that we'd had one. She couldn't be vaccinated because she had a slight case of eczema when our doctor saw her, so he had to write a letter explaining all this. Apparently the vaccine would immediately affect the area affected by eczema ............ it seems that live vaccine was being used at that time.

We had to show that letter to Immigration on entering Australia, and they had to call a doctor out to the airport to physically examine the child before we could enter. That was in the mid '70s.

So, yes, we have had to show proof of vaccinations at certain stages of our life., as well as for our daughter's school. As Jerseygirl said above, we had to confirm those vaccinations at the start of every school year.

It is even stricter in BC now, kiddies who have not been vaccinated have to have it done before they can start kindergarten, and I think religious reasons may still be a reason, though I'm not sure about "personal choise" is allowed.

All childhood vaccinations are free here, as part of the medical system. There are some that have to be paid for, eg vaccination for Yellow Fever ............. which OH had to have before going to certain parts of Asia. Flu vaccination is free for certain people, eg over 65, health care workers, but others have to pay..
Old Sep 1st 2021, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

I don't have small pox vaccine, probably never will, the US had stopped giving it by the time I was born in 1979 (routine small pox vaccination stopped in 1972 in the US, so pretty much anyone born after 1972 didn't get it.)

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 1st 2021 at 8:26 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

Protestors today at VGH. Apparently anti vaccine protest of some sort.

City cam screen shots from reddit.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 1st 2021 at 9:52 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Protestors today at VGH. Apparently anti vaccine protest of some sort.

City cam screen shots from reddit.

Protests all over at various hospital sites around BC. They think 600 to 700 people were at Kelowna today. And we shouldn't be surprised at this it was never going to be 100% of the people in agreement. I just wonder how long before various unions start getting involved and strike action is talked about. It doesn't take much for some of these unionized places to start talking about action.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by printer
Protests all over at various hospital sites around BC. They think 600 to 700 people were at Kelowna today. And we shouldn't be surprised at this it was never going to be 100% of the people in agreement. I just wonder how long before various unions start getting involved and strike action is talked about. It doesn't take much for some of these unionized places to start talking about action.
I don't know how the nurses union feels about COVID vaccine but historically they have been against mandatory flu shots so it wouldn't be the first time a healthcare union was against mandatory vaccines.

It was right before this pandemic that the nurses union was proud they had gotten the mandatory flu vaccine policy amended, their announcement from December 2019.

Looking at a couple articles seems the nurses union doesn't support or encourage mandatory vaccines but would tell its members to comply if required, so the union doesn't appear to be planning to fight it, at least the nurses union.

"B.C. Nurses’ Union – which has 6,506 members who work in long-term care and assisted living – said it would tell its members to comply if Henry made the order, it’s not advocating for mandatory immunizations."

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 1st 2021 at 11:29 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 11:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

People with so little class that they protest outside a hospital should be locked up, arraigned the following day, released on bail so they can seek representation then convicted of public mischief, fined a thousand or two, and be saddled with a criminal record. Not nearly as harsh as my first impulse, which was have about 10 dog handlers run in with attack dogs and terrify the shit out of them.
Old Sep 2nd 2021, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
People with so little class that they protest outside a hospital should be locked up, arraigned the following day, released on bail so they can seek representation then convicted of public mischief, fined a thousand or two, and be saddled with a criminal record. Not nearly as harsh as my first impulse, which was have about 10 dog handlers run in with attack dogs and terrify the shit out of them.
Maybe but the organization that arranged these protests are called Canadian front line nurses so i would imagine that outside health care facilities would be where they may well congregate. I don't know anything about this organization and how many "nurses" are members and agree with the protests but it seems its not some random anti anything group. This protest was announced a while back saying various BC hospitals would be the location for the protests so it's not really a surprise to the media.
From August 28th
https://infotel.ca/newsitem/kamloops...ptions/it85417
From their website
https://www.canadianfrontlinenurses.ca/events

Last edited by printer; Sep 2nd 2021 at 2:07 am. Reason: additional article

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.