British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

macadian Oct 16th 2020 2:12 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12922374)
We are talking pubs here and no Northern pub would ever dream of serving creme brûlée. Bloody southern shandy drinkers its a bloody pub you know where you drink beer not serve fancy bloody desserts etc.

But....they do have brown sauce.......

dave_j Oct 16th 2020 2:55 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by macadian (Post 12922375)
But....they do have brown sauce.......

...Pork pies?

Jingsamichty Oct 16th 2020 10:09 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12922374)
We are talking pubs here and no Northern pub would ever dream of serving creme brûlée. Bloody southern shandy drinkers its a bloody pub you know where you drink beer not serve fancy bloody desserts etc.


I found a picture of FL having his last pint in a Northern pub to celebrate getting his visa for Canada.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...e38cb261a8.jpg

'appy days, and not a creme brulee for 200 miles.

Shard Oct 16th 2020 10:48 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Haven't been uuup North for about 20 years, but from what I'm seeing on TV Covid reports of the city centres of Liverpool and Manchester, the times are a changin'. It's all starting to look quite flash. I have feeling it wouldb't be hard to find a creme burlee or maybe even a rocket salad in the local hostelries.

spouse of scouse Oct 16th 2020 11:39 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12922374)
We are talking pubs here and no Northern pub would ever dream of serving creme brûlée. Bloody southern shandy drinkers its a bloody pub you know where you drink beer not serve fancy bloody desserts etc.

The first time I visited a particular dive pub in Liverpool I asked the barmaid for a bottle of champagne and two champagne glasses. Luckily over many visits in subsequent years she forgave me and we became good mates.

Same pub, I asked for a pint of lemonade. I got it, but it was the same price as a pint of lager.

And another pub, a more 'upmarket' one, I ordered two Irish coffees.

After a wait of about 10 minutes, 2 cups of black coffee were plonked down in front of me. When I started to protest, the bloke said 'it's coffee and the girl out the back who made them is Irish' :lol:

spouse of scouse Oct 16th 2020 11:43 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12922455)
Haven't been uuup North for about 20 years, but from what I'm seeing on TV Covid reports of the city centres of Liverpool and Manchester, the times are a changin'. It's all starting to look quite flash. I have feeling it wouldb't be hard to find a creme burlee or maybe even a rocket salad in the local hostelries.

Not in the pubs, at least not in the ones I like to go to. But in the restaurants, sure.

Former Lancastrian Oct 16th 2020 1:13 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Oh to take a trip back down memory lane and I am only talking 40 years ago and not a hundred like some people think when I started going into the local boozers in my town where I grew up. Anyone remember pubs having a Snug bar? The small room where women could have a drink as it was frowned upon having them in the main bar area. In those days would anyone approach Bill sat beside the fire with his whippet at his feet and tell him that his dog was a health and safety concern :lol:
Bottles of Mackeson or other similar stouts were on a table rather than a glass of some organic micro brewery concoction that you see today probably with a a few packs of Woodbine or Players No 10 by the ashtray. Knowing a few of the older landlords asking for a Mai Tai in those days would probably result in him taking his off and saying here have my tie. Cuba Libre oh you mean a Bacardi & coke. The dartboard mats used to have 2 oche lines marked out at 6' 6" and the newly invented 7' 91/4"
Want something to eat or snack on well choose your flavour of crisps, pork scratchings or pickled eggs and the really posh pubs had a warmer for pork pies. If you got hungry you went to the chippy probably a couple of doors away and ate whatever on the way back to the pub.
Bloody Millenials have no idea what they are missing and as for the Snowflakes well let's just say pubs should be out of bounds for that lot.

Jingsamichty Oct 16th 2020 2:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Your grandad probably called you a snowflake when you got an inside toilet.

Former Lancastrian Oct 16th 2020 2:22 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12922536)
Your grandad probably called you a snowflake when you got an inside toilet.

One of my grandads houses never had an inside toilet until well after he died and I am talking about the late 1970's and he died in the 60's :lol:

Jingsamichty Oct 16th 2020 2:52 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12922539)
One of my grandads houses never had an inside toilet until well after he died and I am talking about the late 1970's and he died in the 60's :lol:

One of his houses? And here's you letting on you were a street urchin... I bet your tin bath was solid silver.

caretaker Oct 16th 2020 3:23 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12922553)
One of his houses? And here's you letting on you were a street urchin... I bet your tin bath was solid silver.

Every Friday night, same time as Don Messer's Jubilee. The theme music (Till We Meet Again) and bath night are inseparable.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...fbfa0e019c.jpg

BristolUK Oct 16th 2020 4:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12922539)
One of my grandads houses never had an inside toilet until well after he died and I am talking about the late 1970's and he died in the 60's :lol:

That's not so odd. My grandparents had no inside toilet until around1980.

The only toilet they had is on the left


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...da0b8323a0.jpg
I'm the smallest below the window

Jerseygirl Oct 17th 2020 3:29 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Ontario...805 reported this morning, 45,000 tests done. Almost 90 up on the day before. As usual 1/2 are in Toronto.

Shard Oct 17th 2020 3:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12922586)
That's not so odd. My grandparents had no inside toilet until around1980.

The only toilet they had is on the left


I'm the smallest below the window

He looks to be a clever lad. And I bet it seems like just yesterday. :nod:

caretaker Oct 20th 2020 8:56 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
66 new cases in Saskatchewan (a record), to make 398 active cases (also a record).


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.