Coronavirus

Old Jul 10th 2020, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by dbd33
If there was a place where I would expect to see people without masks, it would be WalMart. I'd also go there if I wanted to see people without covering for their butt crack. Any windowless building signed "Tavern" would also be a good bet for both along with vape shops and motels offering rooms by the hour. I suggest that during a pandemic is not the time to visit any such places.
I have a friend who was travelling many years ago with his then new young wife and at the reception of, what he describes now, as a rather seedy looking establishment he was asked if he wanted the night or just the hour. His missus told him in no uncertain terms they were NOT staying!
Old Jul 11th 2020, 2:44 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Some people buy their eggs by email payment which is auto-deposited to an account I can use for contactless payment to the car wash so that nearly works Unfortunately the bank charges for the auto-deposit exceed the price of the eggs so it's not a financially attractive option unless you're the bank.
RBC don't charge for e-transfers on personal accounts

5. How much does it cost to send an Interac e-Transfer?

It’s FREE for all RBC personal chequing accounts.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 11th 2020 at 2:46 am.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 5:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

8 positive cases linked to events in Kelowna downtown and waterfront between June 25 and July 6

6 of the 8 live somewhere other than Kelowna, mainly BC lower mainland and Alberta.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-b-c-1.5646074
Old Jul 11th 2020, 11:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
8 positive cases linked to events in Kelowna downtown and waterfront between June 25 and July 6

6 of the 8 live somewhere other than Kelowna, mainly BC lower mainland and Alberta.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-b-c-1.5646074
I heard that on the radio in the night. I don't think I ever heard anyone say Kelowna before, I've only seen it written.

I spent a few minutes wondering where Collona was and pondering that the name of this mysterious place was a bit like Corona.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 1:29 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I heard that on the radio in the night. I don't think I ever heard anyone say Kelowna before, I've only seen it written.

I spent a few minutes wondering where Collona was and pondering that the name of this mysterious place was a bit like Corona.
How were you saying it in you head ?
Old Jul 11th 2020, 7:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
How were you saying it in you head ?
Kellona
Old Jul 12th 2020, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Corona in Kelowna. At least it's put us on the map
Old Jul 12th 2020, 6:15 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

It occurred to me last night just how fortunate the human race as a whole has been with this pandemic.
First of all it has demonstrated just how unprepared ALL governments of all persuasions have been at battling the virus. Sure some have seen very low totals for cases and deaths but it isn't over yet and all that they've done in the short term is provide islands of vulnerability in a world awash with C19.
No, it wasn't the lessons learned but the virus itself that should have us reaching to pet the rabbit's foot.
Worldometer suggests today that of the 13M cases only 570T or about 4.3% have died, but if we consider the fact that many positve cases haven't been counted then the actual death rate could well be less than half the 4.3%.
So haven't we been fortunate?
The WHO https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-s...-virus-disease tells me that the average death rate for ebola is 50%, but ebola kills much too quickly and the transfer mechanism requires close personal contact with bodily fluids and in many ways is self limiting.
So imagine a more virulent covid or a mutated ebola, it is possible.
I repeat, we've been fortunate.
Q. Will we realise this fact and will we do anything to prepare for the next attack?
A. I don't think so.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 6:39 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
It occurred to me last night just how fortunate the human race as a whole has been with this pandemic.
First of all it has demonstrated just how unprepared ALL governments of all persuasions have been at battling the virus. Sure some have seen very low totals for cases and deaths but it isn't over yet and all that they've done in the short term is provide islands of vulnerability in a world awash with C19.
No, it wasn't the lessons learned but the virus itself that should have us reaching to pet the rabbit's foot.
Worldometer suggests today that of the 13M cases only 570T or about 4.3% have died, but if we consider the fact that many positve cases haven't been counted then the actual death rate could well be less than half the 4.3%.
The WHO https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-s...-virus-disease tells me that the average death rate for ebola is 50%, but ebola kills much too quickly and the transfer mechanism requires close personal contact with bodily fluids and in many ways is self limiting.
Q. Will we realise this fact and will we do anything to prepare for the next attack?
A. I don't think so.
I think that is because it has so far mostly impacted the developed world. After starting in Wuhan, it moved on mainly to East Asian and then western first world countries due to increased levels of international travel and trade between China and those nations. In short, governments balls ups were largely saved by Western modern medicine and the stronger immune systems that come with living in a rich country.

Now that the virus has largely left the first world, the US notwithstanding, poorer nations are becoming more heavily impacted and I think the fatality numbers could be far, far worse.

​
Old Jul 12th 2020, 7:09 pm
Oscar nominated

Assuming that all the appropriate deaths have been included too.

Have you looked at individual countries? France and UK are around 1 in 7 or 14%. Germany about 1 in 20 (5%). Portugal 1 in 28(3%) compared to Spain 1 in 10 (10%).
Old Jul 13th 2020, 12:00 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming that all the appropriate deaths have been included too.
Have you looked at individual countries? France and UK are around 1 in 7 or 14%. Germany about 1 in 20 (5%). Portugal 1 in 28(3%) compared to Spain 1 in 10 (10%).
I tend to think it more likely that deaths are recorded more accurately than are infected cases with minor symptoms.
But one sparrow doesn't make a summer so itemising selective data for individual countries can distort the wider picture.
But I take your point. Different treatment regimes may be shown, when this is all over, to have contributed to the mortality rate and we may even find different strains at work, but none of this is suggested or even tested yet.

Old Jul 13th 2020, 11:40 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Kellona
Quelle au na !?!
Old Jul 13th 2020, 11:43 am
Yo

A. I don't think so.
Not all governments were poorly prepared. Vietnam has done very well.

Judging by how lax Western governments are towards this virus (let's get some bustle into those pubs!) the future is not looking good at all.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 11:51 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Not all governments were poorly prepared. Vietnam has done very well.

Judging by how lax Western governments are towards this virus (let's get some bustle into those pubs!) the future is not looking good at all.
They had a lot of practice. Vietnam and other parts of Asia were hit by Swine and Avian flu whereas those epidemics weren't really a thing in the west apart from pockets of infection in Canada.

Japan has had mandatory temperature checks on arrival for all incoming passengers for over a decade and any arrivals from countries with high disease infection have been diverted to a short medical exam before being allowed to proceed to passport control. HK, Korea and Singapore and others have also been doing spot temperature checks for years whereas in the west we've always focused on the traditional immigration and customs controls.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 11:58 am
Yo

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
They had a lot of practice. Vietnam and other parts of Asia were hit by Swine and Avian flu whereas those epidemics weren't really a thing in the west apart from pockets of infection in Canada.

Japan has had mandatory temperature checks on arrival for all incoming passengers for over a decade and any arrivals from countries with high disease infection have been diverted to a short medical exam before being allowed to proceed to passport control. HK, Korea and Singapore and others have also been doing spot temperature checks for years whereas in the west we've always focused on the traditional immigration and customs controls.
Yes. Just taking issue with Dave's usual hyperbole "ALL governments of all persuasions". Even now, there is very little reflection in Britain on how Asia is managing to contain this virus with much higher populations and density.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.