Coronavirus

Old Feb 26th 2020, 3:43 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It’s the same disease caused by different strains of the same virus - SARS-CoV in 2003 and SARS-CoV-2 in 2019/2020, hence the nomenclature.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
As per BiP, one "disease" can have multiple different causes. For example, meningitis has both bacterial and viral causes, as does pneumonia, and there are several different strains of the bacteria that causes tuberculosis, some of which cause symptomless infections - in other words you will have lung nodules visible in an X-ray and have a positive Mantout skin test but have never apparently suffered from tuberculosis,
https://mcusercontent.com/cdd7cfdd3d...5e8dc30ae5.jpg

if it were the same disease it would have the same name

Meningitis and pneumonia are medical terms describing conditions not names of diseases.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 3:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
.... Meningitis and pneumonia are medical terms describing conditions ....
As, funnily enough, is SARS (Severe acute respiratory syndrome) - it's even in plain English, not a fancy Latin word.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 4:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly
This is nothing like a regular flu bug, or even a "bad flu".

NOtice that Italy had 3 cases last Friday, today it has around 350 cases and 11 people dead.
That is a lot of people dead quite quickly.

I am a little bit more jumpy these days than you all over in Canada because I live in France which is just too close to North Italy ATM.
Because Italy seems to have the focus in Europe at the moment I looked up flu figures for the country.
Flu outbreak in Italy: Half a million people struck down in a week
Almost three million cases of flu have been reported in Italy since the start of the winter season, and the number of confirmed cases is rising. Since the start of flu season in October 2019, 2,768,000 cases across the country have been confirmed by laboratory tests...A total of 488,000 cases were reported last week alone, signalling that flu season is hitting its peak in January as predicted. ...240 deaths have so far been reported, slightly lower than the expected 258. Most of the fatal cases are elderly patients who suffered complications after contracting the virus.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Because Italy seems to have the focus in Europe at the moment I looked up flu figures for the country.
Flu outbreak in Italy: Half a million people struck down in a week

..... and so?

It doesn't change the fact that Covid 19 is a respiratory illness and it causes severe acute respiratory syndrome.
It seems evident, according to the WHO that the rate of infection is higher for Covid 19 than for the regular flu.
By the way, flu in europe this year is a beast and here in France regular flu virus was declared to be an epidemic two weeks ago.

Last edited by Nand; Feb 26th 2020 at 5:47 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 26th 2020, 6:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

..... and so?
There isn't a so, what has been a general observation by others I just put some figures on to make it less general.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 12:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Well I'm off to check into my hotel and organize the move in ( and be a part of the human races ultimate doom)
have fun folks
Hope all goes well.

Covid 19 is the name of the disease. Severe Acute Respitory Syndrome is what you get from it hence the name of the little buggers is SARS -Cov-2 because they cause the SARS. It is a respiratory disease not the flu.
This a new coronavirus, and is the second (hence the number 2 after its name) of the SARS coronavirus's.
Agree.

This is nothing like a regular flu bug, or even a "bad flu".

Notice that Italy had 3 cases last Friday, today it has around 350 cases and 11 people dead.
That is a lot of people dead quite quickly.

I am a little bit more jumpy these days than you all over in Canada because I live in France which is just too close to North Italy ATM.
I'm not surprised. You have the right and should be concerned.

I am in NZ and we have our quake safe emergency stocks and kits as a matter of course. They say it isn't here ...yet...but I rather think otherwise. I am being sensible my end and ensuring we have what we need . I've also cancelled our plans to travel to the UK in Sept. If things settle then we have plenty of time to think again. Meanwhile I shall not commit to the bug soup that is two long haul flights.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 5:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

I've also cancelled our plans to travel to the UK in Sept. If things settle then we have plenty of time to think again. Meanwhile I shall not commit to the bug soup that is two long haul flights.
Sorry to hear you've had to cancel your plans Bevs, I know how much this trip meant to you. But as you say, you can do it a bit down the track. Everyone has to do what they feel is best/right for them.

Scouse and I have pretty much decided to go ahead with ours unless something drastic happens (airline cancels flights etc). The only change we're making is telling our family in the UK that we'll rent independent accommodation rather than stay with them. Hand sanitiser in my handbag will be my best friend, if the second best friend is good I'll let him use it too.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 5:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Perhaps we should simply stand back and let it run it's course, survivors would be immune and the population as a whole would be a little less vulnerable to the next similar outbreak.
The BBC reports today that a Japanese tour guide in Osaka was confirmed to have the virus in late January, and was discharged from hospital in February after recovering and testing negative. Some time later she developed a sore throat and chest pains and then tested positive again. The information was released by the Japanese government.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Morality rate for ordinary flu at a pandemic level is 1% die. It is much less for ordinary flu seasons.

Mortality rate as of 77,000 cases of Covid 19 is 2.3% die.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hope all goes well.

Agree.

I'm not surprised. You have the right and should be concerned.

I am in NZ and we have our quake safe emergency stocks and kits as a matter of course. They say it isn't here ...yet...but I rather think otherwise. I am being sensible my end and ensuring we have what we need . I've also cancelled our plans to travel to the UK in Sept. If things settle then we have plenty of time to think again. Meanwhile I shall not commit to the bug soup that is two long haul flights.
We have TP, dry goods, canned goods for three months sustenance. How to know if that is going to carry us through or not though? I am hoping to know soon if it is going to slow down with sunnier weather and how quickly it devours France.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 12:27 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 27th 2020, 12:29 pm
Oscar nominated

Morality rate for ordinary flu at a pandemic level is 1% die. It is much less for ordinary flu seasons.

Mortality rate as of 77,000 cases of Covid 19 is 2.3% die.
Usefu stat, thanks.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 2:12 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 27th 2020, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
LOL! first laugh of my day.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

We used something called Lemon Gin back at Uni and I survived the Hong Kong flu!
That was a real crusher, my roomates were all zonked for two weeks solid, a very strange experience that flu was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.