British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Can't abide Canadian word? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/cant-abide-canadian-word-839422/)

The4BellsLondon Jul 25th 2014 11:05 pm

Re: Can't abide Canadian word?

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11348104)
I'm not sure if it's a Canadian expression or not but I've had more than enough people tell me that "It's all good". I have some miles behind me and I can assure you that it most certainly is not "all good". :p

It is what it is! (Gaaaaaaaah)

bats Jul 25th 2014 11:22 pm

A "go to" item. That's my "go to file" I had to ask what it meant.

Impact, it impacted someone. In my world the phrase should be "had an impact on". Impacted sounds as if they are squashed, or constipated if medical.

caretaker Jul 25th 2014 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11348128)
Impact, it impacted someone. Impacted sounds as if they are squashed, or constipated if medical.

Exactly - impacted bowel, that's what they used to call it.

Gozit Jul 26th 2014 12:21 am

Originally Posted by WWROCKU (Post 11347937)
the standard and insincere "gudhowareu" when asking someone how they are doing..

I hate this. People don't know what to say when you say "Actually i'm having a real shit day today." They just kind of "Oh." ...

Similar to that, people expect you to say "Its great" or something positive about everything. Case in point - people ask me how I like high school / how school is going - they expect me to say "Oh, its great!" and list a bunch of things I like about it. I actually hate school, always have, literally hated it since the first week of kindergarten. I don't think after 11 years i'm going to start liking it. So when I respond to that question with "Ehh I don't really like it that much to be honest" or when i'm in a good mood and I compromise by saying "Ehh its alright" , people just do not know what to say! Its really irritating. :eek:

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 11348030)
Meer for mirror!!!

Yep, but i'm sad to say i'm guilty of this one. I can't pronounce it the British way. I know grammatically, it is not correct. "Mirror" does not read "Meer" , otherwise it would be spelt "Meer" .

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11348107)
Buddy. Its pronounced okay its just they use ad nauseum. What happened to just calling people c*** face?

:rofl::rofl:

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 11348116)
It is what it is! (Gaaaaaaaah)

Mum uses this one on me every. single. day. It is applied to everything, "Oh, the car dealer really serviced the car bad, I've had to take it in twice more and it still isn't fixed!" "Ah well, it is what it is, why complain about it?" is an example, I could go on and on listing them.

Merseygirl Jul 26th 2014 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11347120)
Another one... I don't know if it's a Canadian thing or just a curse of the modern world, but I find the phrase "... that being said, ..." to be like nails on a blackboard.

Often, people don't even use it correctly. They say something, then say, "that being said, ..." and then proceed to say the same thing only slightly differently.

"It's going to be a lovely sunny day today here in northern Alberta. That being said, you won't be needing your umbrella today!"

Ha ha...my partner who is from Alberta, says this all the time (although usually in the correct context).
He often precedes it with an emphatic 'BUT.....That being said'.
Fortunately, it amuses me rather than irritates me.

MillieF Jul 26th 2014 10:23 am

I'm not so good at quotes on a tablet:

Bats & 4 bells:- "go to" and "it is what it is" :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Disgusting, stupid lazy English usage...really horible:thumbdown:

Dashie Jul 26th 2014 12:54 pm

Liderally.

It literally adds nothing to the sentence.

plasticcanuck Jul 26th 2014 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 11348436)
I'm not so good at quotes on a tablet:

Bats & 4 bells:- "go to" and "it is what it is" :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Disgusting, stupid lazy English usage...really horible:thumbdown:

I don't know what parts of England you've lived in but the majority living there speak in dialects and accents that distort the language in so many horrible ways. So, not necessarily a NA problem.

bats Jul 26th 2014 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11348586)
[/COLOR]

I don't know what parts of England you've lived in but the majority living there speak in dialects and accents that distort the language in so many horrible ways. So, not necessarily a NA problem.

Lighten up

bc_guy Jul 26th 2014 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11348586)
[/COLOR]

"The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain". It's rumored to be a good way of testing someone's English dialect. I can actually think of the many different ways in which different people from different backgrounds (both anglophone and non-anglophone) would pronounce the words in that sentence.

However, the rain in Spain actually falls mainly on the windward side of the Pyrenees mountains nearest to the sea/ocean.

plasticcanuck Jul 26th 2014 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11348590)
Lighten up

Alreet pet.

JonboyE Jul 26th 2014 3:35 pm

Foreigners really should make the effort to speak English properly if they expect us to take them seriously. I mean, have you ever heard a Frenchie trying to pronounce Beauchamps. Pathetic, isn't it?

Siouxie Jul 26th 2014 4:19 pm

Inbox me
Sidewalk
Hey hun

and all the ones already listed!

:eek:

Dashie Jul 26th 2014 5:30 pm

Burglarize

Jingsamichty Jul 26th 2014 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 11348694)
Foreigners really should make the effort to speak English properly if they expect us to take them seriously. I mean, have you ever heard a Frenchie trying to pronounce Beauchamps. Pathetic, isn't it?

Humour me, how do the locals pronounce Beauchamps?