British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Can't abide Canadian word? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/cant-abide-canadian-word-839422/)

Shard Jul 24th 2014 7:54 pm

Can't abide Canadian word?

Is there any Canadian word (or pronunciation) that you simply cannot abide and therefore consciously refuse? For example, do you insist on saying trousers instead of pants or petrol instead of gas? Not just words you dislike, but words you actively refuse to use.

orly Jul 24th 2014 8:05 pm

Re: Can't abide Canadian word?

Eggplant.

Geordie Lass Jul 24th 2014 8:08 pm

Tom ay toe.

It's a tom arto.

I do use the phrase "Gong show" I do like that one. :lol:

Partially discharged Jul 24th 2014 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11346959)
Is there any Canadian word (or pronunciation) that you simply cannot abide and therefore consciously refuse? For example, do you insist on saying trousers instead of pants or petrol instead of gas? Not just words you dislike, but words you actively refuse to use.

Ain't gunna
Youse..as in 'hey youse guys'
I seen
tranny to describe a transmission
Tott-en-ham
KesWick
Wor-chi-stershire ...usually followed by 'sauce'

Gozit Jul 24th 2014 8:57 pm

Not so much the words but the spelling. I insist on using UK spellings for words like realise, where in the UK it is spelt realise but in North America it is spelt realize.

I'll occasionally use petrol instead of gas, there are more but I can't think of them at the moment. It depends on who i'm talking with. If its people from school that can't even speak normal Can/US English, I won't bother with the British words/spellings.

BristolUK Jul 24th 2014 9:06 pm

I know it's of English origin but it's continued use is mainly North American.

I find it VERY hard to say Soccer

Back Yard is difficult. Yard just doesn't seem right for something with a lawn, flowers, trees etc.

I associate yard with scrapyard or just some concrete area.

rivingtonpike Jul 24th 2014 9:08 pm

Home Deeeeeepo

Paul_Shepherd Jul 24th 2014 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11347046)
I know it's of English origin but it's continued use is mainly North American.

I find it VERY hard to say Soccer

Back Yard is difficult. Yard just doesn't seem right for something with a lawn, flowers, trees etc.

I associate yard with scrapyard or just some concrete area.

I say "tom aa toe", soccer and vacation now..... but REFUSE out right to say Alu min um.. wrong wrong wrong wrong!! there is a "I" in there that the last yanks left out! "O reg ano" is wrong too and I wont say that! lol

Oink Jul 24th 2014 9:34 pm

Renasonce. :thumbdown:

Jingsamichty Jul 24th 2014 9:46 pm

Cru-SONT

Jingsamichty Jul 24th 2014 10:22 pm

Another one... I don't know if it's a Canadian thing or just a curse of the modern world, but I find the phrase "... that being said, ..." to be like nails on a blackboard.

Often, people don't even use it correctly. They say something, then say, "that being said, ..." and then proceed to say the same thing only slightly differently.

"It's going to be a lovely sunny day today here in northern Alberta. That being said, you won't be needing your umbrella today!"

Jingsamichty Jul 24th 2014 10:24 pm

And newsreaders who say "this hour".

"Coming up this hour..." It's idiotic. Is it too much trouble to say, "Coming up in the next hour..." ?

Zoe Bell Jul 24th 2014 10:51 pm

I despise the word panty-hose.
Bleurghh

pdarwin Jul 24th 2014 11:17 pm

Loonie; Twoonie

Also garaaage.

bc_guy Jul 24th 2014 11:17 pm

Pronouncing the letter 'z' as "zed" sounds too odd for me to use in everyday conversation or listen to in math class. It's sort of distracting to listen to facts about general functions zed = f(x,y).

bats Jul 24th 2014 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 11347136)
I despise the word panty-hose.
Bleurghh

And panties, gross.

Piff Poff Jul 24th 2014 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11347153)
And panties, gross.

I was going to say Panties too, it seems sort of dirty to me and Urbs, whats and Urb?

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 25th 2014 12:11 am

Not really a word, but I wont say Zed, sounds funny and not natural for me, so I still say Zee.

For words, soda will never be pop for me. Where I come from pop is not used, and soda again comes naturally for me.

Jericho79 Jul 25th 2014 12:18 am

I struggled to come to terms with "dinner" but relented because "tea" seemed to confuse everyone. However, "supper" is starting to creep in to the household now, and I'm not having it.:sneaky:
So I'm bringing back "tea", much to the confusion of my kids.

bc_guy Jul 25th 2014 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11347180)
Not really a word, but I wont say Zed, sounds funny and not natural for me, so I still say Zee.

For words, soda will never be pop for me. Where I come from pop is not used, and soda again comes naturally for me.

There are actually parts of the US where people refer to soda as 'pop'. I've heard many Minnesotans use the term to describe soda. But maybe this is just a result of their proximity to Canada.

bats Jul 25th 2014 1:32 am

Originally Posted by bc_guy (Post 11347211)
There are actually parts of the US where people refer to soda as 'pop'. I've heard many Minnesotans use the term to describe soda. But maybe this is just a result of their proximity to Canada.

We used to call pop 'pop' when I was a kid, this was in Co Durham.

Oink Jul 25th 2014 1:40 am

We just called it a fizzy drink. :confused:

Zoe Bell Jul 25th 2014 1:53 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11347221)
We used to call pop 'pop' when I was a kid, this was in Co Durham.

Same in the 'ditch.
My southern grandparents hated us using that word though

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 25th 2014 2:13 am

Originally Posted by bc_guy (Post 11347211)

For sure. There are lots of regional differences between the US, however from my region its soda, and pop isn't used except by those from some other region...

Here is an interesting website listing maps and differences by region.

I grew up in San Diego, and going to the NE US for example or the South feels like a different different country at times, things are different, same country, regional differences that sometimes are very different.

old.sparkles Jul 25th 2014 2:21 am

Originally Posted by bc_guy (Post 11347150)
Pronouncing the letter 'z' as "zed" sounds too odd for me to use in everyday conversation or listen to in math class. It's sort of distracting to listen to facts about general functions zed = f(x,y).

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11347180)

Isn't zed English, and zee American?

Alan2005 Jul 25th 2014 2:30 am

Nitch, click and iony.

bats Jul 25th 2014 2:47 am

Perdaining, diddo, warder.

Tuppence Jul 25th 2014 2:58 am

"Bring".
So simple, yet used incorrectly all the time.
"Bring this home with you", "bring my friend to the cottage"...
Aaaaaahhh, it's "TAKE" goddammit!!!!

My poor daughter gets hounded about this every day, poor kid. 5 years of Canadian daycare/Kindergarden, and I'm on her every time she says it.

Tuppence Jul 25th 2014 2:58 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11347153)
And panties, gross.

I second this. Especially on kids. Just wrong.

bc_guy Jul 25th 2014 3:53 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11347260)
Isn't zed English, and zee American?

I guess this just goes to show how Americanized my country has become in a few short generations. I still remember when both pronunciations were used interchangeably during the mid-1990s.

old.sparkles Jul 25th 2014 4:34 am

Originally Posted by bc_guy (Post 11347306)
I guess this just goes to show how Americanized my country has become in a few short generations. I still remember when both pronunciations were used interchangeably during the mid-1990s.

I can remember hearing zee for the first time on Barney when the kids were into that - think I must be living up to the old part of my name :lol:

Shard Jul 25th 2014 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11347254)
For sure. There are lots of regional differences between the US, however from my region its soda, and pop isn't used except by those from some other region...

Here is an interesting website listing maps and differences by region.

I grew up in San Diego, and going to the NE US for example or the South feels like a different different country at times, things are different, same country, regional differences that sometimes are very different.

Great site. I had seen the soft drink map on Reddit but not the whole site. The term I found odd (when I first heard it) was using "coke" as a generic for soda/pop. I think its a Southern thang.

jandro Jul 25th 2014 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11346959)

Ever since I came back from the UK I prefer saying trousers.

fabretti18 Jul 25th 2014 5:39 am

Edinboro :banghead:

MillieF Jul 25th 2014 1:49 pm

Reach Out, or 'he reached out' instead of he contacted me, phoned me whatever, really gives me the pip...I work with someone who uses this all of the time and I find it most aggravating.

Language is boring here, very pedestrian, they don't generally nuance things well, It's a bit soul destroying when you talk to people who constantly misuse language and wield beautiful words with the joyless fluency of a blunt stick.

Dashie Jul 25th 2014 1:55 pm

Running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Surely by the time you've said all of that, you're even further behind. I prefer a headless chicken moment.

Mostly though I think it's all of the shiny new grammatical errors I've been subjected to here.

orly Jul 25th 2014 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11347096)
Cru-SONT

My wife tries to argue with me that this is the correct pronunciation and that she knows best because she's bilingual. I just laugh. I know better. Even the French don't pronounce it like that and it's their bloody word.

withabix Jul 25th 2014 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by fabretti18 (Post 11347338)

On some Canadian radio station just yesterday: Eedinburg :blink:

orly Jul 25th 2014 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by fabretti18 (Post 11347338)

Pretty major road in Guelph called Edinburgh. None of my colleagues or relatives seem capable of getting it right either.

Gozit Jul 25th 2014 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11347120)
Cru-SONT

Another one... I don't know if it's a Canadian thing or just a curse of the modern world, but I find the phrase "... that being said, ..." to be like nails on a blackboard.

Often, people don't even use it correctly. They say something, then say, "that being said, ..." and then proceed to say the same thing only slightly differently.

"It's going to be a lovely sunny day today here in northern Alberta. That being said, you won't be needing your umbrella today!"
Both :eek:

I know Cru-SONT isn't actually correct, but what is the correct pronunciation? :o