British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Can't abide Canadian word? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/cant-abide-canadian-word-839422/)

old.sparkles Jul 25th 2014 4:34 am

Re: Can't abide Canadian word?

Originally Posted by bc_guy (Post 11347306)
I guess this just goes to show how Americanized my country has become in a few short generations. I still remember when both pronunciations were used interchangeably during the mid-1990s.

I can remember hearing zee for the first time on Barney when the kids were into that - think I must be living up to the old part of my name :lol:

Shard Jul 25th 2014 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11347254)
For sure. There are lots of regional differences between the US, however from my region its soda, and pop isn't used except by those from some other region...

Here is an interesting website listing maps and differences by region.

I grew up in San Diego, and going to the NE US for example or the South feels like a different different country at times, things are different, same country, regional differences that sometimes are very different.

Great site. I had seen the soft drink map on Reddit but not the whole site. The term I found odd (when I first heard it) was using "coke" as a generic for soda/pop. I think its a Southern thang.

jandro Jul 25th 2014 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11346959)
Is there any Canadian word (or pronunciation) that you simply cannot abide and therefore consciously refuse? For example, do you insist on saying trousers instead of pants or petrol instead of gas? Not just words you dislike, but words you actively refuse to use.

Ever since I came back from the UK I prefer saying trousers.

fabretti18 Jul 25th 2014 5:39 am

Edinboro :banghead:

MillieF Jul 25th 2014 1:49 pm

Reach Out, or 'he reached out' instead of he contacted me, phoned me whatever, really gives me the pip...I work with someone who uses this all of the time and I find it most aggravating.

Language is boring here, very pedestrian, they don't generally nuance things well, It's a bit soul destroying when you talk to people who constantly misuse language and wield beautiful words with the joyless fluency of a blunt stick.

Dashie Jul 25th 2014 1:55 pm

Running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Surely by the time you've said all of that, you're even further behind. I prefer a headless chicken moment.

Mostly though I think it's all of the shiny new grammatical errors I've been subjected to here.

orly Jul 25th 2014 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11347096)
Cru-SONT

My wife tries to argue with me that this is the correct pronunciation and that she knows best because she's bilingual. I just laugh. I know better. Even the French don't pronounce it like that and it's their bloody word.

withabix Jul 25th 2014 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by fabretti18 (Post 11347338)

On some Canadian radio station just yesterday: Eedinburg :blink:

orly Jul 25th 2014 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by fabretti18 (Post 11347338)

Pretty major road in Guelph called Edinburgh. None of my colleagues or relatives seem capable of getting it right either.

Gozit Jul 25th 2014 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11347120)
Cru-SONT

Another one... I don't know if it's a Canadian thing or just a curse of the modern world, but I find the phrase "... that being said, ..." to be like nails on a blackboard.

Often, people don't even use it correctly. They say something, then say, "that being said, ..." and then proceed to say the same thing only slightly differently.

"It's going to be a lovely sunny day today here in northern Alberta. That being said, you won't be needing your umbrella today!"
Both :eek:

I know Cru-SONT isn't actually correct, but what is the correct pronunciation? :o

BristolUK Jul 25th 2014 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppence (Post 11347279)
"Bring".
So simple, yet used incorrectly all the time.
"Bring this home with you", "bring my friend to the cottage"...
Aaaaaahhh, it's "TAKE" goddammit!!!!

Is that a Canadian thing? My wife and stepdaughter use it that way but they're Quebecers and I always assumed it was a translation issue.

Like open or close the light. Or I received rain.

Dashie Jul 25th 2014 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11347692)
Both :eek:

I know Cru-SONT isn't actually correct, but what is the correct pronunciation? :o

Kind of like cwrah-son ish?

Partially discharged Jul 25th 2014 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11347698)
Is that a Canadian thing? My wife and stepdaughter use it that way but they're Quebecers and I always assumed it was a translation issue.

Like open or close the light. Or I received rain.

Close the light is used by anglo quebecers...sure fire way to tell them apart from other cradles. Anglo quebecers also say 'autoroute' and 'dep' naturally.

Gozit Jul 25th 2014 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Dashie (Post 11347742)
Kind of like cwrah-son ish?

That's what I thought :)

Partially discharged Jul 25th 2014 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 11347616)
Reach Out, or 'he reached out' instead of he contacted me, phoned me whatever, really gives me the pip...I work with someone who uses this all of the time and I find it most aggravating.

Language is boring here, very pedestrian, they don't generally nuance things well, It's a bit soul destroying when you talk to people who constantly misuse language and wield beautiful words with the joyless fluency of a blunt stick.

How about people who say 'flip me the note' another way to say 'forward the email'.