British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Can't abide Canadian word? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/cant-abide-canadian-word-839422/)

bats Jul 24th 2014 11:19 pm

Re: Can't abide Canadian word?

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 11347136)
I despise the word panty-hose.
Bleurghh

And panties, gross.

Piff Poff Jul 24th 2014 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11347153)
And panties, gross.

I was going to say Panties too, it seems sort of dirty to me and Urbs, whats and Urb?

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 25th 2014 12:11 am

Not really a word, but I wont say Zed, sounds funny and not natural for me, so I still say Zee.

For words, soda will never be pop for me. Where I come from pop is not used, and soda again comes naturally for me.

Jericho79 Jul 25th 2014 12:18 am

I struggled to come to terms with "dinner" but relented because "tea" seemed to confuse everyone. However, "supper" is starting to creep in to the household now, and I'm not having it.:sneaky:
So I'm bringing back "tea", much to the confusion of my kids.

bc_guy Jul 25th 2014 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11347180)
Not really a word, but I wont say Zed, sounds funny and not natural for me, so I still say Zee.

For words, soda will never be pop for me. Where I come from pop is not used, and soda again comes naturally for me.

There are actually parts of the US where people refer to soda as 'pop'. I've heard many Minnesotans use the term to describe soda. But maybe this is just a result of their proximity to Canada.

bats Jul 25th 2014 1:32 am

Originally Posted by bc_guy (Post 11347211)
There are actually parts of the US where people refer to soda as 'pop'. I've heard many Minnesotans use the term to describe soda. But maybe this is just a result of their proximity to Canada.

We used to call pop 'pop' when I was a kid, this was in Co Durham.

Oink Jul 25th 2014 1:40 am

We just called it a fizzy drink. :confused:

Zoe Bell Jul 25th 2014 1:53 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11347221)
We used to call pop 'pop' when I was a kid, this was in Co Durham.

Same in the 'ditch.
My southern grandparents hated us using that word though

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 25th 2014 2:13 am

Originally Posted by bc_guy (Post 11347211)

For sure. There are lots of regional differences between the US, however from my region its soda, and pop isn't used except by those from some other region...

Here is an interesting website listing maps and differences by region.

I grew up in San Diego, and going to the NE US for example or the South feels like a different different country at times, things are different, same country, regional differences that sometimes are very different.

old.sparkles Jul 25th 2014 2:21 am

Originally Posted by bc_guy (Post 11347150)
Pronouncing the letter 'z' as "zed" sounds too odd for me to use in everyday conversation or listen to in math class. It's sort of distracting to listen to facts about general functions zed = f(x,y).

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11347180)

Isn't zed English, and zee American?

Alan2005 Jul 25th 2014 2:30 am

Nitch, click and iony.

bats Jul 25th 2014 2:47 am

Perdaining, diddo, warder.

Tuppence Jul 25th 2014 2:58 am

"Bring".
So simple, yet used incorrectly all the time.
"Bring this home with you", "bring my friend to the cottage"...
Aaaaaahhh, it's "TAKE" goddammit!!!!

My poor daughter gets hounded about this every day, poor kid. 5 years of Canadian daycare/Kindergarden, and I'm on her every time she says it.

Tuppence Jul 25th 2014 2:58 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11347153)
And panties, gross.

I second this. Especially on kids. Just wrong.

bc_guy Jul 25th 2014 3:53 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11347260)
Isn't zed English, and zee American?

I guess this just goes to show how Americanized my country has become in a few short generations. I still remember when both pronunciations were used interchangeably during the mid-1990s.