Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Canadian Finance Thread

The Canadian Finance Thread

Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Canadian Finance Thread

Originally Posted by iaink
It seems reasonable to me that if you eat after using the "washroom" and you choose not to wash your hands first, then you might not be entirely blameless if you get the shits as a result...

If you get the flu after declining the flu shot, dont come crying to me.
Broken legs too, that tumbling on the ice is so selfish. And cancer, people who have cancer must have sinned against the Lord. Really, how dare the poor get sick? Feckless scum.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:21 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm going to assume you are simply making a false attribution error rather than being quite this judgemental. Next, you'll be telling me it's peoples own fault if they got sick for not planning ahead!
I had the exact same thoughts, but didn't want to stir the pot. I'll just have to take words for it
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:29 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It seems reasonable to me that if you eat after using the "washroom" and you choose not to wash your hands first, then you might not be entirely blameless if you get the shits as a result...

Sometimes there is no avoiding debt, but in many cases its a choice people make out of greed and/or impatience.
What happens when Assassins Creed 3 and Halo 4 comes out in the same week? Sometimes debt can't be avoided.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:34 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes there is no avoiding debt, but in many cases its a choice people make out of greed and/or impatience.
Woah.
Why would anyone come crying to you if they were sick or found themselves in a situation where they couldn't afford to pay their debts?

What I find odd here is that it's OK for you to use debt when it suits, but everyone else is an irresponsible chav.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:36 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
What happens when Assassins Creed 3 and Halo 4 comes out in the same week? Sometimes debt can't be avoided.
Not interested in AC3. They did AC2 in 3 parts and by the 3rd one I got bored of it.

Halo 4 looks great, but I don't have an xbox. Maybe I should get my credit card out?
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:39 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.....this thread is interest free, but full of rewards
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:55 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Woah.
Why would anyone come crying to you if they were sick or found themselves in a situation where they couldn't afford to pay their debts?

What I find odd here is that it's OK for you to use debt when it suits, but everyone else is an irresponsible chav.
Did I say that? I said its stupid to run consumer debt at credit card interest rates. That's definitely potentially irresponsible if you dont have the readies to pay it off. Most people will manage to pay it off OK, but if your circumstances change and it gets you in financial trouble then Im not going to be sympathetic.

Doesnt make anyone a chav though, that would appear to be your invention.

Sometime debt, like illness, is unavoidable, but sometimes its also a consequence of an individuals actions and poor choices. Denying that seems bizarre to me. What happened to personal responsibility?

Last edited by iaink; Nov 6th 2012 at 7:57 am.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 8:07 am
Account Closed

Did I say that? I said its stupid to run consumer debt at credit card interest rates. That's definitely potentially irresponsible if you dont have the readies to pay it off. Most people will manage to pay it off OK, but if your circumstances change and it gets you in financial trouble then Im not going to be sympathetic.
Fair enough, but no one is asking you or expecting you to show any sympathy, so I don't get where the sudden indignation came from.
The vast majority of people pay their debts/payments responsibly, yet you seem to be focussing on a small few.

Not being able to pay your credit card and not being able to pay your mortgage are exactly the same thing... except one will leave you homeless and one wont.
Debt is debt, and sometimes, shit happens... even if you've prepared for it.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 10:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jericho

Not being able to pay your credit card and not being able to pay your mortgage are exactly the same thing... except one will leave you homeless and one wont.
Debt is debt, and sometimes, shit happens... even if you've prepared for it.
The latter can leave you with a bad credit, that can lead to bankruptcy
Old Nov 6th 2012, 11:29 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
I would suggest that a bad credit rating is rarely the cause of bankruptcy.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 12:24 am
Account Closed

They can both lead to bad credit...
Old Nov 7th 2012, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Unless one has little equity on one's home, having unsecured credit can still lead to one's home being sold to pay off one's debts.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 1:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Unless one has little equity on one's home, having unsecured credit can still lead to one's home being sold to pay off one's debts.
Not if the home is 10000000000000000 times more than the unsecured credit
Old Nov 7th 2012, 1:49 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

All debt can lead to bankruptcy. Bankruptcy means you cannot pay your debts regardless of what debt it is. As has been said, bad credit has nothing to do with bankruptcy, many people get along fine with bad credit and don't go into bankruptcy.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Not if the home is 10000000000000000 times more than the unsecured credit
I don't understand this at all. If the home is worth that much, it should be relatively easy to persuade a Court that the debtor has an asset that, if sold, would enable him/her to satisfy the debt. If that is the case, the debtor will lose their home. Granted, they will then have a fair amount of cash, but the home is gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.