Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Canadian Finance Thread

The Canadian Finance Thread

Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Canadian Finance Thread

Originally Posted by jericho
I agree.
If you don't carry a balance on your credit card, well done, but you're probably in the minority.
Completely agree. In the time I have been doing family work in Canada and getting access to the financial documents on both sides, I would estimate that I could count the number of people that have credit cards but pay the balance off each month using the fingers of one hand.

Poor or wealthy, they all seem to love their credit cards.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:39 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Not everyone can afford to pay 10% every pay cheque. A sizeable number of people barely scrape by on what they earn. It's not that these people want new TV's it's that they might need their boiler fixing, or their kids need new school clothes etc. Debt is sometimes about needs rather than just wants.
If its something major like a furnace then use a line of credit. Your house isnt much use to you without heat anyway. Makes no sense to me to charge it to a card unless its a last resort.

If you cant stash 5 or 10% away for emergencies every month then you probably should not be in the business of home ownership anyway, and if you own a home I cant see why you wouldnt have a line of credit associated with it to cover the big bills that come with the territory from time to time, its just sound financial planning to have options like savings and a lower interest LoC.

New clothes for school are a pretty predictable expense. If you are on a low income dont go buy them at A&C. We seem to manage pretty well without spending a fortune on new clothes for the kids, and although that will change with impending teen years its a pretty simple rule in life to not spend what you dont have.

Pay yourself first. Credit card debt is for mugs.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 6th 2012 at 5:43 am.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:42 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Upgrades are the best bang for the buck, according to the man who looks closely at these things. Of course, he has a bigger bum than us and so may value a wide seat more.
I've tried that. So far I've failed. I think it's perhaps because I buy the cheapest ticket going.

Thinking about it, in the years before 1996 I travelled lots (70-80 times a year) and mainly with BA. I had loads of miles. I largely forgot about it when I moved to Canada because I wasn't using BA any more. I remembered when I went through LHR in September en-route to Cape Town, on BA. I asked the question and, apparently, the points are still there and valid. I still failed to get an upgrade, though. The flight wasn't full enough.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If its something major like a furnace then use a line of credit. Your house isnt much use to you without heat anyway. Makes no sense to me to charge it to a card unless its a last resort.

If you cant stash 5 or 10% away for emergencies every month then you probably should not be in the business of home ownership anyway, and if you own a home I cant see why you wouldnt have a line of credit associated with it to cover the big bills that come with the territory from time to time, its just sound financial planning to have options like savings and a lower interest LoC.

New clothes for school are a pretty predictable expense. If you are on a low income dont go buy them at A&C. We seem to manage pretty well without spending a fortune on new clothes for the kids, and although that will change with impending teen years its a pretty simple rule in life to not spend what you dont have.

Pay yourself first. Credit card debt is for mugs.
The percentages you refer to to "stash away"; is contributing to an RRSP "stashing away" or are you simply referring to a savings account?
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:50 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Completely agree. In the time I have been doing family work in Canada and getting access to the financial documents on both sides, I would estimate that I could count the number of people that have credit cards but pay the balance off each month using the fingers of one hand.

Poor or wealthy, they all seem to love their credit cards.
Quite. We use our credit card because of the various benefits and insurance. We'd still never buy anything we couldn't afford to pay for in cash (mortgage excepted).
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:52 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The percentages you refer to to "stash away"; is contributing to an RRSP "stashing away" or are you simply referring to a savings account?
Once the slush fund for emergencies reaches a certain limit ($5-10k) any extra goes in the RRSP pot where it works a bit harder but is locked away to most intents and purposes.

I dont really see a point really in having an ever growing pot for emergencies, although at present you could probably argue that a 1% return on a savings account is a better ROI than most mutual funds are managing.

With two kids growing like weeds its largely an academic argument anyway on my income, but the important thing is to make the effort to save and avoid unsecured consumer debt. We do not buy anything on credit that we could not pay off with cash immediately if necessary.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Once the slush fund for emergencies reaches a certain limit ($5-10k) any extra goes in the RRSP pot where it works a bit harder but is locked away to most intents and purposes.

I dont really see a point really in having an ever growing pot for emergencies, although at present you could probably argue that a 1% return on a savings account is a better ROI than most mutual funds are managing.

With two kids growing like weeds its largely an academic argument anyway on my income, but the important thing is to make the effort to save and avoid unsecured consumer debt. We do not buy anything on credit that we could not pay off with cash immediately if necessary.
OK
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:01 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

And if they don't have one? Or they already used it on something else.

If you cant stash 5 or 10% away for emergencies every month then you probably should not be in the business of home ownership anyway, and if you own a home I cant see why you wouldnt have a line of credit associated with it to cover the big bills that come with the territory from time to time
That's right unexpected bills never happen.

It was just an example (you've never had to unexpectedly buy clothes for your kids?). I'm sure you can think of other things that are necessities.

Anyway, all I originally said was that I don't assume that people who have credit card debt are incompetent idiots who don't know how to manage their finances. You obviously do assume that - personally though, I'd prefer to find out the facts first.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:07 am
Slob

We would be extremely uncomfortable without a slush fund. I have one in the UK (approx £12k) and Souvette has something along those lines here. Both are untouchable unless we have a real emergency.

I recently moved the bulk of my RRSP out of GICs and into a variety of mutual funds (medium risk). The returns are crap at the moment but they will improve over time. I have time.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:09 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I'm still confused about what to do with approx 90k Aeroplan miles. Is it worth trying to use them for flights, or is one better-off buying stuff?
A conundrum isn't it? I have 191k aeroplan points. I believe we'll be using them for a family (3 seats + 1 infant) trip to Ottawa next Easter. It'll still cost us $500 or so in taxes but since it would cost us $1500 in tickets were we to buy them, it seems to be a reasonable use of points.

When I've looked at buying stuff, the price you pay (i.e. the number of aeroplan points redeemed to get x) doesn't offer many bargains. If there is no practical use in using them for flights, then it's as well as anything. For example, for a man of your hobbies would not a Home Hardware gift card be a useful thing?

I'm also puzzled about how one uses aeroplan points for upgrades? Yes, you can buy an Exec ticket for more points but upgrading an existing paid for booking? Using aeroplan points as opposed to e-upgrade credits.

Back on topic, we have a RBC avion card where most expenditure goes on and gets paid off every month. The avion points can be used for any flight & have, and will continue to subsidise travel back to Blighty. I have an aeroplan visa I use primarily for business travel. I have another visa (Scotiabank value visa) which a lower percentage rate that I use if I need to carry a balance. Rarely do this as I also have a LOC which is used for medium term borrowing - the unexpected expense as well as longer term - a car.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:12 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

And if they don't have one? Or they already used it on something else.
Then they didnt think ahead. My LOC is enough to cover a new roof and a furnace / water heater and oil tank , plus work on the well if necessary. We need to replace the deck at some point, but Im not going to charge that to the LOC just because I can, I'll save up to cover that rather then wipe out my emergency credit.

That's right unexpected bills never happen.
They happen all the time, its expected Thats why we plan for them.

It was just an example (you've never had to unexpectedly buy clothes for your kids?). I'm sure you can think of other things that are necessities.

Anyway, all I originally said was that I don't assume that people who have credit card debt are incompetent idiots who don't know how to manage their finances. You obviously do assume that - personally though, I'd prefer to find out the facts first.
Necessities are, by necessity, budgeted for. Im sure that with a bad run of luck its possible to end up reliant on consumer credit. Im also sure that in the vast majority of cases that's not what happened, although those in that situation would argue its not really their fault too.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:15 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the fact that you have to pay $25 for a book of bloody cheques, and $11 per month service charge to spend your own money.

I remember when I was new to Canada, I was spending quite heavily from my savings account (interac purchases) not knowing that every transaction was costing me $5. WTF? cost me a small fortune. I'm with HSBC, the worlds local bank.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:18 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'm also puzzled about how one uses aeroplan points for upgrades? Yes, you can buy an Exec ticket for more points but upgrading an existing paid for booking? Using aeroplan points as opposed to e-upgrade credits.
I may be mistaken by I don't think that's possible on AC.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:22 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to assume you are simply making a false attribution error rather than being quite this judgemental. Next, you'll be telling me it's peoples own fault if they got sick for not planning ahead!
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:43 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

I'm going to assume you are simply making a false attribution error rather than being quite this judgemental. Next, you'll be telling me it's peoples own fault if they got sick for not planning ahead!
It seems reasonable to me that if you eat after using the "washroom" and you choose not to wash your hands first, then you might not be entirely blameless if you get the shits as a result...

If you get the flu after declining the flu shot, dont come crying to me.

Sometimes there is no avoiding debt, but in many cases its a choice people make out of greed and/or impatience.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 6th 2012 at 6:45 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.