Bug Season 2009

Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:50 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bug Season 2009

Gemma (my youngest daughter) donating some blood for photography

Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:57 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I have already had one very swollen ear and many disgusting bug bites in my scalp in the past week so I am now taking anti-histamines because I take a reaction to all bites.

Just out of interest, I have been watching "I'm a Celebrity (USA)" and see that some of the guys on there are absolutely covered in bug bites yet others in the same camp seem to have none. I wonder if it's all down to ones natural scent .............. for the first time I may have to consider myself highly attractive

Here is the Canadian online bug report
Nice Bug report for Fredericton this weekend. High Black Fly on Saturday and then High Mossie on Sunday. Not no

Those pesky no see ums just drift on in an start as an itch!

But for me it is the blackflies that are the worst. They get into your hair line and chew a hole so sip from. They do not have the syringe of the mossie.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:59 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
DEET as high as you can get, and white / light coloured shirt and don't breathe out (they track us by carbon dioxide), or use any flowery smelling soap.

I listened to a radio programme yesterday called "Swatting Season"

Apparently they latch onto the carbon dioxide, sweat or sweet smell and then fly upwind to find us. They then track by movement and especially dark flapping clothing, finally they search out a patch of warm skin. Also the sound of their wings attracts others .... Their saliva contains a chemical to stop the blood coagulating and that is often contaminated (hence the big bumps).
Sorry, read your post after my one. Many a time I become aware of something and when I touch the area the bug has just bitten, I actually have blood running down my neck/ear/whatever so it must be right enough about the anti-coagulent (and I have been told by the blood donor clinic that I have really good clotting factor in my blood).

I think that once you have a fresh bite, other bugs are attracted by some kind of scent that tells them that the human buffet is open. I have many mini-egg size bumps on my scalp and hairline at the back of my neck (their favourite place on me).

It's the blackfly that's the worst because when mozzies are flying around your head you can usually hear them. Blackfly are silent but deadly and tear lumps of flesh off you

PS just saw your next post - we think alike!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 1:42 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
On another thread, I have recommended Marmite and gin. In any order. Taken internally or externally. Perhaps dab behind the ears?

Maybe fledermaus could comment on the gin aspect ?
Gin is not an effective deterrent.

Nice Bug report for Fredericton this weekend. High Black Fly on Saturday and then High Mossie on Sunday. Not no

But for me it is the blackflies that are the worst. They get into your hair line and chew a hole so sip from. They do not have the syringe of the mossie.
High bugstards all weekend now.
I bought an afterbite pen thing, ammonia. It works well if you can get to the bite/sting soon.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 2:07 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Gin is not an effective deterrent.
You're obviously not using enough.

Use liberally until you no longer give a damn if the buggers bite you or not.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 2:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You're obviously not using enough.

Use liberally until you no longer give a damn if the buggers bite you or not.
Excellent advice. By the way, there are a-no bugs in Richmond Hill.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 2:34 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

What's the interval between being bitten and a bump occurring?
Old Jun 13th 2009, 3:28 am
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by G77
What's the interval between being bitten and a bump occurring?
3.75 seconds
Old Jun 13th 2009, 3:57 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

3.75 seconds
Spoken like a true project manager....

And if it takes 4 seconds, you'll want an explanation, right?
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:00 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G77
Spoken like a true project manager....

And if it takes 4 seconds, you'll want an explanation, right?
I want an explanation as to why it takes 3.75 seconds.

Obviously they must be inferior mossies.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 5:04 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Well apparently its meant to be a teaspoon before bed - but love it or hate it a teaspoon of straight Marmite is pushing the boat out by anyones standards
I think at least a tablespoon is required for 2 slices of toast.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of

We're coming out to NB in jut under three weeks. I think the first thing I'm going to do is go and get some DEET!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
thanks for the info. It looks like Sawyers/Deet is the way to go. I am actually quite worried now as these things can make you so miserable. It is funny how they get some and not others. They never go for my husband but who knows over there?
Can you get the plug in repellents for the house? Usually with a tablet that you change. Is there anything else on the market for individual rooms.
My husband has got less than 13 days to try and make our house bug free - as much as possible. Over the years I have had so many problems with bites. My body just doesnt deal very well with them.
Any more info would be greatly appreciated.
Tina
Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:11 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albertabound
Hi,
thanks for the info. It looks like Sawyers/Deet is the way to go. I am actually quite worried now as these things can make you so miserable. It is funny how they get some and not others. They never go for my husband but who knows over there?
Can you get the plug in repellents for the house? Usually with a tablet that you change. Is there anything else on the market for individual rooms.
My husband has got less than 13 days to try and make our house bug free - as much as possible. Over the years I have had so many problems with bites. My body just doesnt deal very well with them.
Any more info would be greatly appreciated.
Tina

You shouldn't have mozzies/blackfly etc in your house because Canadian homes have bug screens on their windows and many also have screen doors to keep your house bug-free (except for the odd fly, etc that may come in with you when you enter/exit your home.

My astounded Canadian friends could not get over how we don't need bug screens on our windows in Scotland. Moreso, when we told them we didn't get mozzies or blackfly, etc. Ahhh, said one person "what about all the birds that must fly in through your windows"
Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Yup just to add my 2 cents worth. Bitten lots already by mozzies and red ants (sat in some last night ) Was told eating marmite would help as the vitamin B that comes out of your pores tends to repel them.

Have 2 candles outside the door and light them to keep them away from the house in the evening which does the trick
I heard the marmite - vit b2 thing as well, but I think you would have to eat shed loads of it on your toast to have any effect. I am happy with a scraping, but troweling it on my toast doesn't appeal.

I bought a supplement for the horses last year that was vit b2 and garlic and did absolutely nothing for them except cost me money.

On the other hand bronco fly spray (for horses) smelled and felt much better on my skin than that nasty stuff "OFF"...so I used that instead of human stuff.
Again it didn't work for long periods but I did smell of citronella which was nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.