Bug Season 2009

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:36 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bug Season 2009

My bite from hell has just about stopped itching now - a week to the day when it swelled up! Could do without anymore of those.....
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:52 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday I experimented with Vinegar as a Mosquito repellent.

I can report it was effective.

Method:
As a control I did some weeding of the veggie patch with no protection and was bitten several times (all in the name of science).

I then applied the vinegar (white pickling) using a face cloth on my hands, arms, legs, neck and face(when applying to your face the smell of vinegar was overpowering for a couple of seconds).

The sense of overpowering vinegar smell for me was only temporary (less than 3-4 minutes). There was no sticky wet feeling that you get with usual mosquito repellent.

I then set off mowing the back lawn and around the veggie patch. 1 hour later finished with zero bites on the exposed skin and a couple on my back were some persistent litle b%gger had bitten me through the tee shirt (I have had them come through jeans before).

Verdict: Seemed succesful and didnt use any DEET. However the Mosquitos are on the wane so perhaps they just couldnt be bothered with a pickled old geezer

Notes: After the hour there was no real smell of vinegar, however flies (biting type) were still avoiding me. I noticed a deer fly land on my arm and take off again pretty sharpish. Normally they would stay and chew a hole in you.

I suspect constant use would dry your skin out, but so does DEET. Vinegar doesnt melt plastic.

I will try it again when I take a hike through the woods again. I may take a small bottle and protect one arm and leg with vinegar and one with deep woods off. I wonder if malt vinegar works differently?

Perhaps we can arrange a great British Expats vinegar experiment with a control group in each area and another group of pickled onion lovers smothered in vinegar?
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 3:07 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

My Auntie who lives in Canada swears by white vinegar as a repellant. Whenever we are there she practically covers us in it, but I have to say it really does seem to work!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
I will try it again when I take a hike through the woods again. I may take a small bottle and protect one arm and leg with vinegar and one with deep woods off. I wonder if malt vinegar works differently?

I fear that half way through your hike, you would have this overwhelming urge for fish and chips
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:53 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I fear that half way through your hike, you would have this overwhelming urge for fish and chips
Well at least I can have a little nibble
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

Didn't everyone swear by Avon's "Skin so Soft" a while ago? (Sorry if it's already been mentioned).
They've now brought out a cusom made product:

http://www.avon.com/1/3/skin-so-soft-repel-mosquitoes

Anyone tried it ?
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:38 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Not biting bugs, but fruitflies can fly through bugscreens and are a nuisance in the kitchen. The locals here put a piece of banana in a shot glass then cover with clingfilm with a few tiny holes in it.

Viola! attracts them like ummm errrr fruitflies to a banana
Old Aug 5th 2009, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spritzer
Didn't everyone swear by Avon's "Skin so Soft" a while ago? (Sorry if it's already been mentioned).

Anyone tried it ?
I wear skin so soft.....I still get bitten.
(not when I was in Waskesiu though....used the hard stuff then )

Linda
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

emmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by G77
My bite from hell has just about stopped itching now - a week to the day when it swelled up! Could do without anymore of those.....
I react like you and went to the pharmacist the other day as the itching, swelling, blistering etc etc was driving me mad. He advised a allergy formula tablet (Canadian Superstore 'Exact' same as Benydryll) which was about $5. Took them for one day ( as dont usually take tablets) and the swelling and itching have more or less gone, still got big red blobs though which usually stay for weeks.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:39 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by Spritzer

Anyone tried it ?
Didnt Johnson buy it and bring out a new Skinsoft version of "Off!" ? if it is the same then the Mosquito's in NB just lick it off and then bite you

Seriously it works for a short while before you have to reapply it. I normally use DeepWoods or Muskol.

However my pickling vinegar experiment continued last night with a walk around the local beaver pond at 8pm (spent nearly an hour around the waterside and edge of woods - prime Mossie real estate) and no bites on the vinegared parts of me (arms, legs, neck and face) and several bites through my tee-shirt though (non vinegared). I am beginning to believe in white vinegar as an option. Albeit a little smelly (for a short while)
Old Aug 16th 2009, 2:52 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Apparently according to Mosquito Scientist on CBC the magic day is August 15th.....
Are they gone?

Still saying Medium to High for Windsor on the Weather Network for the little buggers...
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:32 am
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by G77
Are they gone?

Still saying Medium to High for Windsor on the Weather Network for the little buggers...
There has been a definite drop here in Whelbourn Backyard, but the deerfly seemed to have filled the gap
Old Aug 24th 2009, 2:45 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Still not gone here - got a nasty bite on my wrist yesterday, swelling up nicely
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:45 am
Happy in NB

I hear you and seems to me like you just cannot trust scientists we have a new hatch and they seem to be more urgent than previous batches.

Instead of flying around you looking for a good place to land this new lot just come right up (no messing about), park and suck. The only plus side is they are easy to swat once you have noticed/felt them.

I am mowing the lawn today so I will be in the garage to rub on some more vinegar (it does work) before I venture out.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:13 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

I'm thinking I should be grateful I don't live there - I mostly only get bitten when out at dusk. I don't think I've seen one during the day, certainly didn't notice the one on my wrist when cleaning out the pool - that was during the day, but wasn't as hot as normal, which is why they were probably out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.