Wikiposts

'British' accents

Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'British' accents

Originally Posted by LHK
Hi, Novocastrian!

Well, about a little over two years ago I started listening to Radio BBC Cumbria (no specific reason - just wanted to listen to a regional radio) and to participate in the quiz-contests (won a prize once - a small notebook and a pen!). After a while I was invited by Paul Braithwaite to be interviewed in his programme (he interviews people all over the world and I was probably one of the few listeners from Brazil) and talk a bit about São Paulo and my life. I was interviewed two or three times then I had to stop - after my son was born. Paul's programme is a bit too late for me to be on the phone.

Hope this was interesting.

Cheers,
LHK

Hi LHK, I'm sorry but I haven't checked this thread in days. Yes, thanks for sharing your story.

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Prattishness alert level increased to orange, Howard.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 8:00 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Oh yeah and who ever heard of a Bin Lorry everyone knows it's a Garbage Truck!
Some people in Edinburgh call it a bucket lorry
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
now that's a new one on me, brilliant
Old Feb 10th 2008, 12:22 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
That's where the bucketmen work
Old Feb 10th 2008, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

jennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsLauder99
Nope austrailian!!

Actually, we've been to the US (New Hampshire/Boston) on numerous occassions and quite a lot of the US folk thought we had Irish accents. And worst of all I had an American ask - now wait for it - hope your sitting down - ask if I was a Canadian!! Sorry it made me laugh so hard. How could you possibly mistake Scottish for Canadian (where would that have come from?). Maybe it's that Manchester mix (my Grandparents were from Machester) that's throwing them!!

I think accents are great. I love hearing different terms and chatting to folk about what they call things. I had a discussion with a girl from Surrey who was on the same nursing course as me and every week we did a "scottish" word and she had to guess what it was (she asked to do this for a laugh!). Like Oxters! Gave us a good laugh.
I am Canadian, but have been living in the UK for years. I can't begin to count the number of times I have been asked 'Where in America are you from?' Argh... but... I do have to say, it is MUCH easier to distinguish regional accents here in the UK than it is at home. The person who thought you may have been from Canada may have met someone from the East Coast... Newfie accents are the only 'distinguishable' accents in Canada as far as I'm concerned... I wouldn't say they're close to Scottish, but I could see them sounding a bit Irish at times.... but that's just me!

Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:16 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Last accent related convo I had with a canuck was outside a 'pub' in Aurora. My mrs' brother finished his cig and disappeared inside with the parting phrase 'Oh, he's a Brit', pointing at me.

The girl concerned had spent the past 6 months in London working in an investment bank apparently and living in Kensington somewhere. She didn't believe I was from England after I told her I didn't live anywhere near London - I think her exact words were "Oh I'm sorry, it just really sounds like you're putting it on"

Prolly coz oi dunt tawk loik 'at 'innit?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

i'm dutch, have lived in UK and Rep of Ireland too.

The amount of time pre rep of ireland i was asked if I was irish/australian/kiwi/south african was amazing.

i worked at a helpdesk and to keep my customers busy i'd play 'guess the accent'...it kept 'em from bitching. The worst I had was 'are you a kiwi living in south africa'.

Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

I worked with a Canadian in London UK for several years.She came back home to Canada after living in England for 10 years or so. Anyroad, she came back to Canada sounding Canadian to our English ears but it seems her work colleagues heard her accent as English. They didnt realise that she was Canadian.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:37 am
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sutton Coldfield UK until I return to Toronto 2009 or earlier!!
JLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by edsask
As my wife knows, I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the phrase 'British accent'. Every time someone uses it here (in sunny California) it drives me up the wall, since a 'British' accent doesn't exist. I suppose you could mix up English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish into an accent, but that would sound very peculiar …

Are Canadians at least able to distinguish between English/Scottish/Welsh/N.Irish accents, and name them as such? Please tell me so, because if one more American says 'British accent', I'll do something I won't regret.
Hi there, as I understand from where I work I had to perform a presentation and I was announced with " and with her wonderful British accent" I understand what you are saying but I looked upon it in a nice way as what they had told me you are from the United Kingdom it is the most respectful way to announce because just like Canada you are a mixture of allsorts(nope not the sweets!) just enjoy it that they luv your accent whether it is English or not.