'British' accents

Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:51 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of
Default 'British' accents

As my wife knows, I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the phrase 'British accent'. Every time someone uses it here (in sunny California) it drives me up the wall, since a 'British' accent doesn't exist. I suppose you could mix up English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish into an accent, but that would sound very peculiar …

Are Canadians at least able to distinguish between English/Scottish/Welsh/N.Irish accents, and name them as such? Please tell me so, because if one more American says 'British accent', I'll do something I won't regret.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'British' accents

Canadians think the English have an accent.

Mostly because we think we don't have one.

Last edited by rwin; Feb 4th 2008 at 5:57 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:56 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by edsask
As my wife knows, I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the phrase 'British accent'. Every time someone uses it here (in sunny California) it drives me up the wall, since a 'British' accent doesn't exist. I suppose you could mix up English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish into an accent, but that would sound very peculiar …

Are Canadians at least able to distinguish between English/Scottish/Welsh/N.Irish accents, and name them as such? Please tell me so, because if one more American says 'British accent', I'll do something I won't regret.
My god man there are much bigger things to get your knickers in a twist over.

Relax it's not really that a big deal.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure the mercans and canuks would argue just as vigourously that there is no such thing as an "american" or "canadian" accent...lets face it, those countries are a LOT larger and have more scope for variation as a result, and although I pick some of them up, often they all sound the same to me, so its not worth getting bothered about.

Im just gratefull not to be accused of being Australian too often, although it does happen from time to time.:curse:

Frankly Im impressed that they know about "Britain", I thought most north americans geographical understanding of the motherland was that there was England and that was about it unless they had a long lost scottish/ irish relative. No one talks of wales at all as far as I can tell.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 4th 2008 at 6:12 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:07 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

No such thing as British Accent but most certainly there are British Accents, one of few places in world where you can identify a person's region of origin and social class as soon as they speak.

People we knew in Kensington were sending their son to a particular school so he would have the right accent.

You have to be nuts to argue that someone from Devon sounds like some one from Battersea, and that some one from Huddersfield sounds like some one from Surrey.

I have a very strong American accent, my Brothers sound like they just got off the boat.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I remember an American friend in the 70s thought I sounded Scottish.
I'm from Bristol but the accent has Somerset influences.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Do I sound American?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
Do I sound American?
Dunno, how do you spell colo(u)r? Does your car run on gas or petrol, and do you keep stuff in the trunk or the boot?

Do you vote for/despise (delete as applicable) the Liberals or the Democrats?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Dunno, how do you spell colo(u)r? Does your car run on gas or petrol, and do you keep stuff in the trunk or the boot?
Colour
Gas(oline)
Stuff in the trunk, foot in the boot.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Do you vote for/despise (delete as applicable) the Liberals or the Democrats?
Yes. No. Wait, what do you mean? I guess it depends.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I nearly hugged a Latina shop assistant in Michigan who asked "Are you from Scotland?" Her fluent English colleague had thought I was Canadian

I can't tell a Louisiana from a Texas, an Albertan from a BCer, why should I expect them to?

Anything that isn't RP throws them. The OH's father has a thick Welsh accent and everyone here assumes he's South African
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

You are definately northamerican, but that last one is the clincher to decide which side of the border you are on
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:28 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edsask

Nope!

You better not come here then!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:28 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Do I sound American?
Yep!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:29 pm
Sloopy Dippinsprinkles

MrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really nice

Do I sound American?
Nope austrailian!!

Actually, we've been to the US (New Hampshire/Boston) on numerous occassions and quite a lot of the US folk thought we had Irish accents. And worst of all I had an American ask - now wait for it - hope your sitting down - ask if I was a Canadian!! Sorry it made me laugh so hard. How could you possibly mistake Scottish for Canadian (where would that have come from?). Maybe it's that Manchester mix (my Grandparents were from Machester) that's throwing them!!

I think accents are great. I love hearing different terms and chatting to folk about what they call things. I had a discussion with a girl from Surrey who was on the same nursing course as me and every week we did a "scottish" word and she had to guess what it was (she asked to do this for a laugh!). Like Oxters! Gave us a good laugh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.