Anxiety or Stress

Old Sep 2nd 2016, 12:52 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anxiety or Stress

Anyone else on here have any stress or anxiety issues?

I been having chest pains for 12 months now, nothing too bad, mostly when I exercise. I have done a stress test, ECG, echo cardio gram, and worn a Holter monitor and nothing is showing up with my heart ? My doc recons I am Anxious or stressed and gave me a little pill, 5 mg. this helps, but I am not perfect yet!

I did have high BP but that's ok now I am on a ACE and also my chrolestrol is down since I changed my diet

Any tips on reducing anxiety are welcome

The pain was worse after a big meal, so I have cut down on my food intake. I am not overweight as such, 195lbs and 6 foot 1 inch, bit of a belly that's all :@)

So how do you guys cope with stress ?

Just to add my job can get very stressful chasing after people all day, this over 25 years Maybe paying me back lol

Last edited by magnumpi; Sep 2nd 2016 at 12:59 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 1:01 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anxiety or Stress

I coped with stress by having a full on breakdown
I suffer from major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety.

I found that CBT helped to some degree. The antidepressant s also help a lot.

Do you have any idea as to what your triggers are for the anxiety? If you don't then counselling to identify them might help followed by the CBT to work through them

For me though, honestly one of the most helpful things was acceptance. I have anxiety and it doesn't make me a lesser person.

The two main things you need to work on are exercise and sleep.
Any exercise helps with mental disorders and good sleep patterns are essential.

Last edited by Zoe Bell; Sep 2nd 2016 at 1:06 pm. Reason: Added stuff
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 1:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping to be shot of a source of stress soon.

I've always been a laid back sort of bloke but the last three years have been a bit challenging what with my wife's worsening health (prior to her dying), wondering over the practicalities of getting to appointments in bad weather etc and then tenant problems at the rental causing financial issues, one after the other to the point that minor irritations were seen as more major than they should have been.

And still have been to an extent with "Oh what is it this time?" responses to a phone ringing.

Just hoping that the buyer completes and I can relax more...and worry only about one house being struck by lightning, having the roof blown away or flooded instead of two.

So there's your answer...sell your rental.

What's that new cliché something about not worrying about things you can't control?

Last edited by BristolUK; Sep 2nd 2016 at 2:18 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 1:10 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Triggers are when things go wrong on a file, or I can't find a claimant and stress about locating some one, also trying to follow in a car can trigger my heart rate to rise, adrenaline boost I guess. I try breathing exercises and when it was really bad I took a Nitro spray which helped immediately.

Thing is I can walk for miles when I have a pain less day, I have a HR and step tracker and can walk 10-13 km, no issues. (Had to do that following a claimant at the CNE)

I only been on the new pills for a week, he says takes a month to increase my serotonin

I think my doc is pointing toward my stress increasing acid in my stomach and that is giving me the chest pains

Last edited by magnumpi; Sep 2nd 2016 at 1:14 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 1:20 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Stress appears to be implicit in your job. Try and keep a log of when stress occurs and for how long.

Sleep is an essential component in managing stress. Swimming is a good form of exercise.

You posted about your jet skis etc, and it could be that your over-doing it a bit at your age (45+?) high energy/stress job, high energy recreation, maybe you just need to slow down one aspect?
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Shard
Stress appears to be implicit in your job. Try and keep a log of when stress occurs and for how long.

Sleep is an essential component in managing stress. Swimming is a good form of exercise.

You posted about your jet skis etc, and it could be that your over-doing it a bit at your age (45+?) high energy/stress job, high energy recreation, maybe you just need to slow down one aspect?
Ha ha yeh, all my previous hobbies have been high energy, paragliding, flying, Mbike racing, gliding, and now I am older, 50+ seadooing.

Add to that working 10-15 hours a day

Last edited by magnumpi; Sep 2nd 2016 at 1:28 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 1:35 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I think your body is trying to tell your very youthful brain something! Maybe you just need to pace things out a bit more.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

xavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Zoe Bell;12042047]

QUOTE]

What is CBT? This is new to me
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 1:43 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I've just gone through a major stress episode with tremors, paliotations, permanent butterflies in the stomach so I sympathies.

CBT helps, as does gentle exercise, doing something you enjoy and that is absorbing that stops you thinking about the problem. For me that's gardening, painting, reading once I'm concentrating I can block out the anxious thoughts,

I really recommend massage therapy too. I was getting chest, arm and jaw pains which turned out not to be cardiac but muscle tension. Get yourself booked in.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

xavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond repute

i think we have a medical doctor posting at BE

maybe he or she can advise?
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 1:51 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=xavier1955;12042080]
Originally Posted by Zoe Bell

QUOTE]

Cognitive behavior therapy. Google can probably describe it better than me

I found it very effective in that a few sessions have given me the tools to talk myself through stressful situations.

One thing to be aware of. My SSRI tablets give me acid reflux
So that really might be an issue for you.

The SSRIs do take a while to kick in and you may have to try a couple before you find the right one for you.

Ditto with dosage.

Unfortunately this is a situation you have to invest some time in

Yeah and massage therapy is also pretty good. I find it's the only time I can switch my mind off
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 1:57 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I've just gone through a major stress episode with tremors, paliotations, permanent butterflies in the stomach so I sympathies.

CBT helps, as does gentle exercise, doing something you enjoy and that is absorbing that stops you thinking about the problem. For me that's gardening, painting, reading once I'm concentrating I can block out the anxious thoughts,

I really recommend massage therapy too. I was getting chest, arm and jaw pains which turned out not to be cardiac but muscle tension. Get yourself booked in.
My anxiety symptoms sound very similar to yours; tremor (drives me mad!), palpitations, stomach flips, muscle tension. For the first couple of weeks after my son died I couldn't sleep past 3 am no matter what time I went to bed. Now I'm sleeping better, but feel exhausted all of the time.

I try to remember my CBT and to concentrate on my breathing so I don't hyperventilate. I find that having something to look forward to - and having achievable goals that must be reached - has been helpful. My step daughter is getting married in 4 weeks and I'm making her cake, so I've got to make the fondant flowers, bake and freeze the cakes, etc. I'm also finding that keeping a journal of how I feel and when is helpful.

Will definitely look at massage therapy since it's covered by my private health fund.

Magnum, good luck with overcoming your anxiety. Hopefully it's a short term problem and you'll get through it and be able to come off the meds. I know when I've suffered in the past and had to take medication I hated how I felt and was very happy to come off. For myself, this episode is definitely situational and I know that medication would not be appropriate.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 2:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xavier1955
If you google it, be very very careful of which results you pick.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by bats

This is very reassuring knowing that you have some of the same symptoms as me, thank you

I had convinced myself I had stable angina. (More stress lol)

Last edited by magnumpi; Sep 2nd 2016 at 2:11 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 2:35 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Any tips on reducing anxiety are welcome

So how do you guys cope with stress ?

l
Ocean fishing and not really giving a naff about anything. I suppose regularly working-out helps but that's mainly a combination of employment requirements and personal vanity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.