Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

American Netflix on Telus Internet

American Netflix on Telus Internet

Old Jan 5th 2014, 5:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Netflix on Telus Internet

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
Are YOU in Canada?

Viewing non-licensed content from a fake IP IN Canada is illegal IN Canada. The location of the VPN service is irrelevant.
Not as far as I am aware, what legislation governs this?

The new copyright law is not in place yet.

http://torrentfreak.com/canada-wants...tomers-131011/

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 5th 2014 at 5:07 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 5:08 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Are YOU in Canada?

Viewing non-licensed content from a fake IP IN Canada is illegal IN Canada. The location of the VPN service is irrelevant.
The company does not have to provide information about you if they are not in Canada. Also am pretty sure streaming content is not affected by copyright law.

Last edited by bats; Jan 5th 2014 at 5:11 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 5:19 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Not as far as I am aware, what legislation governs this?

The new copyright law is not in place yet.

http://torrentfreak.com/canada-wants...tomers-131011/
It's Just basic Canadian copyright law, it doesn't need to be included in the new Act and it's been around for ever. Using/viewing/copying any copyrighted material without permission is piracy. Having a proxy IP isn't illegal in itself it's what you do with it.

Originally Posted by bats
The company does not have to provide information about you if they are not in Canada. Also am pretty sure streaming content is not affected by copyright law.
The company doesn't have to, your ISP does!

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Jan 5th 2014 at 5:21 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:13 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It's Just basic Canadian copyright law
It is not, show us where in the copyright act this is covered, as I cannot find any reference to it. The new copyright law may address this, the old one does not.

In the US it is an offence, so is downloading pirated material in Canada, but not watching geo blocked content through a VPN.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

It's Just basic Canadian copyright law, it doesn't need to be included in the new Act and it's been around for ever. Using/viewing/copying any copyrighted material without permission is piracy. Having a proxy IP isn't illegal in itself it's what you do with it.

The company doesn't have to, your ISP does!
But if you are paying the VPN company to encrypt your IP data and all your connections run through the foreign VPN IP, the ISP cannot see your "illegal" traffic, and therefore cant hand any data over to anyone, as they dont have any! If someone tries to get it through the VPN company, the VPN company will most likely say "I dont have to under my country's laws" because the VPN is usually located strategically in a country that doesnt have laws against internet piracy.

I also second the motion that it isnt illegal to unblock geoblocked streaming content (such as US or UK netflix) to view in a blocked country.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Just read your extended signature. Malta seems to be a beautiful place. Have meant to visit over the years, but it's still on the list. Do you plan to go to university there?
Hey Shard, thanks for reading it! Yes I plan to go to university over there, but my parents don't like the idea... We'll see if i can convince them I eventually want to live there [for good] having been on many "holidays" staying with my nana and nanu and doing as the locals do, and I have alot of fun doing it, and love being so close to the beautiful Mediterranean... Also just think the lifestyle over there is much more community-oriented, and slower paced... People arent just existing for their jobs, they have a social life, you get more time off work to spend with friends and family, etc etc... The fact that I absolutely detest the Canadian winter and everything to do it plays a big factor in my decisions too

Last edited by Gozit; Jan 6th 2014 at 1:27 am. Reason: hit post by accident -_-
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:43 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Hey Shard, thanks for reading it! Yes I plan to go to university over there, but my parents don't like the idea... We'll see if i can convince them I eventually want to live there [for good] having been on many "holidays" staying with my nana and nanu and doing as the locals do, and I have alot of fun doing it, and love being so close to the beautiful Mediterranean... Also just think the lifestyle over there is much more community-oriented, and slower paced... People arent just existing for their jobs, they have a social life, you get more time off work to spend with friends and family, etc etc... The fact that I absolutely detest the Canadian winter and everything to do it plays a big factor in my decisions too
Good for you. Try to study something that will enable you to get work there (healthcare is usually a good bet). There are many beautiful places on the Med, and you're right about a good lifetstyle, but many young people need to leave it simply to work.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Smile Re: American Netflix on Telus Internet

Good for you. Try to study something that will enable you to get work there (healthcare is usually a good bet). There are many beautiful places on the Med, and you're right about a good lifetstyle, but many young people need to leave it simply to work.
Thanks Shard Yeah the two areas I am considering are Business/Management and Computer Sciences, which apparently are both abundant jobs in Malta. I know exactly what you mean, alot of my friends there ask me why I want to come there when they know they are leaving to find work-most to the UK. But, these people don't plan on going to Uni, for whatever reason, they just want to go to college/MCAST (malta college for arts, science and technology) which won't get you a well paying Maltese job. A uni degree on the other hand I am hoping will fare a little better in the job market down there.

Cheers
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Shard Yeah the two areas I am considering are Business/Management and Computer Sciences, which apparently are both abundant jobs in Malta. I know exactly what you mean, alot of my friends there ask me why I want to come there when they know they are leaving to find work-most to the UK. But, these people don't plan on going to Uni, for whatever reason, they just want to go to college/MCAST (malta college for arts, science and technology) which won't get you a well paying Maltese job. A uni degree on the other hand I am hoping will fare a little better in the job market down there.

Cheers
I've bolded the key word in your comment. Good luck with whatever your choose, and don't forget to listen to your parents' advice too.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 4:49 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Is it? How, exactly, do you reach that conclusion? I pay a subscription to Netflix, which gives me legitimate, non-piratical access to the content that they have fairly licensed. I would love to see a Canadian cable company (because it's the Bell/Rogers/Telus cartel that has withheld Canadian rights from Netflix Canada, although resistance seems to be crumbling in the face of inevitable failure) try to argue in court against a legitimate Netflix subscriber claiming "fair use" for copyrighted material that they have subscribed to. I simply don't see how geo-blocked content is enshrined in copyright law.

The implication of what you're saying is that it should also be illegal for me to order a book via amazon.com that is not available on amazon.ca. That is patently absurd. So, therefore, is claiming copyright infringement for paid-for streamed content delivered via a geographically-ambiguous DNS server.

Last edited by Oakvillian; Jan 7th 2014 at 4:51 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

for the people commenting about the iTunes store showing Canadian content - I am pretty sure this is a setting on your ITunes account and is not related to your IP address.

My iTunes account was set up in the UK and it is still showing UK apps, regardless of what IP address my machine is using (I use witopia for my VPN and have found it great). We needed to look at something on the canadian app store a while back as we wanted to buy an itunes gift voucher for a relative and had to play around but it is a setting buried in the account options I think.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 6:12 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I have the same situation with the Apple App Store and iTunes. Even though unblockus has Netflix and BBC iPlayer giving me access to US and UK, the iTunes store still knows my account was set up in Canada, even though I have changed the store to US.

Not a biggy for me as I don't buy from there but it has stopped me downloading a couple of apps I wanted.

I guess the solution is to set up an account in that country but I can't be bothered.
ITunes doesn't work on IP address it works on the country your account is registered to.

To change your country you have to put in a billing address and card for that country.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

Anyone with a UK iTunes account, check out the Cartoon HD app on iTunes (the one with Tom and Jerry on it) - it's free and well worth an install.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've bolded the key word in your comment. Good luck with whatever your choose, and don't forget to listen to your parents' advice too.
Hehehe I think I laughed a little too hard on how big and bold you made that word

Let me rephrase...
Those jobs looked more prospective than others when speaking to Maltese friends/family, (after calming them down from the "Why the hell do you want to come here??" rage) as well as looking at sites like www.careerjet.com.mt ... The other thing is with a business degree I could start my own business, and trust me, Gozo very, very badly needs a decent computer repair store.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:48 pm
Yo

Hehehe I think I laughed a little too hard on how big and bold you made that word

Let me rephrase...
Those jobs looked more prospective than others when speaking to Maltese friends/family, (after calming them down from the "Why the hell do you want to come here??" rage) as well as looking at sites like www.careerjet.com.mt ... The other thing is with a business degree I could start my own business, and trust me, Gozo very, very badly needs a decent computer repair store.
I had never heard of Gozo before your post. In fact, silly me, I thought Malta was just one island. It looks amazing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.