Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

American Netflix on Telus Internet

American Netflix on Telus Internet

Old Jan 3rd 2014, 10:36 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Netflix on Telus Internet

Originally Posted by Tangram
I have the same situation with the Apple App Store and iTunes. Even though unblockus has Netflix and BBC iPlayer giving me access to US and UK, the iTunes store still knows my account was set up in Canada, even though I have changed the store to US.

Not a biggy for me as I don't buy from there but it has stopped me downloading a couple of apps I wanted.

I guess the solution is to set up an account in that country but I can't be bothered.
My feelings too.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 8:53 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe all of you geniuses should see what the government's new Copyright Modernization Act has to say about IP cloaking!

hint: (it's illegal)

Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
Maybe all of you geniuses should see what the government's new Copyright Modernization Act has to say about IP cloaking!

hint: (it's illegal)

Heh I don't care, unless part of that act says that they [Youtube, Netflix, Hulu etc.] are required to bring the content available in the US/UK to Canada, or change the laws preventing such companies from doing so. (if there are any)
Old Jan 4th 2014, 10:10 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Heh I don't care, unless part of that act says that they [Youtube, Netflix, Hulu etc.] are required to bring the content available in the US/UK to Canada, or change the laws preventing such companies from doing so. (if there are any)
There are no laws preventing Canadian Netflix from paying the licencing fees to acquire rights to popular first run movies, they just don't have the revenue to do it. So it's all a matter of money basically.

Anyway, not sure why so many people think US Netflix is all that much better than the one we have here.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and the reason for you people saying stuff like App Store/Google Play still seeing you in Canada, thats because Unblock US only filters Netflix/Hulu/other data that NEEDS to seem like its coming from US through its servers so that you can enjoy the full speed of your internet connection while having the content you need unblocked through their server...
Old Jan 4th 2014, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There are no laws preventing Canadian Netflix from paying the licencing fees to acquire rights to popular first run movies, they just don't have the revenue to do it. So it's all a matter of money basically.

Anyway, not sure why so many people think US Netflix is all that much better than the one we have here.
I know what you mean... It's not "all that" that people make it seem. The UK netflix actually has more shows than the US and Canadian combined. But for us, the shows that we have netflix for are all on the US one, and not on the Canadian one for whatever reason. (Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad....) Also, it unblocks US-only sites like Hulu (although I dont use Hulu)
Old Jan 4th 2014, 11:05 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on which shows/movies you want to watch. There are more titles on the US one but sometimes Canadian or British Netflix has the very one you are looking for. As happened with Dexter. USA and UK Netflix have more captioned offerings too.

I thought the new bill only affected downloads, streaming was fine. UnblockUS has moved to Barbados to avoid having to release information on its customers.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 1:46 am
BEER Enthusiast

Oh, and the reason for you people saying stuff like App Store/Google Play still seeing you in Canada, thats because Unblock US only filters Netflix/Hulu/other data that NEEDS to seem like its coming from US through its servers so that you can enjoy the full speed of your internet connection while having the content you need unblocked through their server...
Just a head's up... VPN services give you zero protection when some company suspects you of watching their content outside the US. It's just like illegal downloading, when an ISP is asked by court order to hand over your personal IP they have to do it by law.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just a head's up... VPN services give you zero protection when some company suspects you of watching their content outside the US. It's just like illegal downloading, when an ISP is asked by court order to hand over your personal IP they have to do it by law.
Depends if your VPN service has IP masking/encryption or not.
In the case of unblock us it isnt even a VPN just different DNS servers so yes your IP is the same. I've had numerous emails from Robbers (Rogers) to stop illegal downloading on my account, (I download from The Pirate Bay :P) but there was no threat as to what exactly they would do about it, so i just keep doing what i do anyway
Old Jan 5th 2014, 8:34 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Depends if your VPN service has IP masking/encryption or not.
In the case of unblock us it isnt even a VPN just different DNS servers so yes your IP is the same. I've had numerous emails from Robbers (Rogers) to stop illegal downloading on my account, (I download from The Pirate Bay :P) but there was no threat as to what exactly they would do about it, so i just keep doing what i do anyway
Just read your extended signature. Malta seems to be a beautiful place. Have meant to visit over the years, but it's still on the list. Do you plan to go to university there?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 3:00 pm
limey party pooper

Only if subject to Canadian law.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 3:24 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bats
Only if subject to Canadian law.
How could it NOT be?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 4:39 pm
limey party pooper

How could it NOT be?
By not being in Canada.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 4:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It is just a contravention of the terms of service of the provider, it is not illegal to watch content though a VPN. All they can do is cut you off. Has nothing to do with copyright breaches for illegal download and the copyright legislation in your country of residence applies, so if a US court get a Canadian address there is bugger all they can do.

It never stopped Adrian Assange.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 5:02 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bats
By not being in Canada.
Are YOU in Canada?

Viewing non-licensed content from a fake IP IN Canada is illegal IN Canada. The location of the VPN service is irrelevant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.