Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Wikiposts

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old Feb 1st 2015, 8:52 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
No worries I have a mate who runs a company doing tours there (and the Annapurna Circuit) so knew without use of google
Thanks. I'm translating this article:

85 ANNI DI PASSIONE PER LA MONTAGNA | Sportdimontagna.com
Old Feb 1st 2015, 10:31 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Thanks. I'm translating this article:

85 ANNI DI PASSIONE PER LA MONTAGNA | Sportdimontagna.com
nice article - thanks
Old Feb 1st 2015, 10:50 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

nice article - thanks
Can't get you any discount boots I'm afraid. We've known Mr Zamberlan for a few years now as his partner has been my best friend here for 22 years and OH still hasn't managed to squeeze a pair of boots out of him.
After years of checking the crappy translations done in house and correcting them for my girl friend from the goodness of my heart, I'm getting paid for this one. I'm presuming it's because they want a perfect copy of the article to show off to all their foreign clients.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 11:51 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Can't get you any discount boots I'm afraid. We've known Mr Zamberlan for a few years now as his partner has been my best friend here for 22 years and OH still hasn't managed to squeeze a pair of boots out of him.
After years of checking the crappy translations done in house and correcting them for my girl friend from the goodness of my heart, I'm getting paid for this one. I'm presuming it's because they want a perfect copy of the article to show off to all their foreign clients.
I probably need to get rid of some boots rather than buy more pairs particularly as my mountain marathon days are a thing of the past.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 12:14 am

I probably need to get rid of some boots rather than buy more pairs particularly as my mountain marathon days are a thing of the past.
I've just read through my finished English version of the article and I'm wondering if the bigshot will like it. It sounds much more informal and chatty than the original.... and spellcheck hates my use of S and not Z, but I'm used to that.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 1:15 am
Dunroaming back in UK

I've just read through my finished English version of the article and I'm wondering if the bigshot will like it. It sounds much more informal and chatty than the original.... and spellcheck hates my use of S and not Z, but I'm used to that.
I think given the target audience for the product - informal/chatty is a good way to go
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 1:34 am

I think given the target audience for the product - informal/chatty is a good way to go
It'll be fine and I've sent it. I'd better get paid now!
Old Feb 9th 2015, 1:13 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Has anyone got a good Italian word for marshal?

Context is:
I recommend posting a marshal at the tight corner exiting the park, for saftey reasons, during the race on Sunday!
Old Feb 9th 2015, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone got a good Italian word for marshal?

Context is:
I recommend posting a marshal at the tight corner exiting the park, for saftey reasons, during the race on Sunday!
In this context marshal is "ufficiale di gara"
Old Feb 9th 2015, 1:32 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Ugo51
In this context marshal is "ufficiale di gara"
Thanks Ugo - Race official will do nicely
Old Feb 11th 2015, 6:21 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Hi helpful people,

I am trying to translate a document full of Italian legalese at the moment and am struggling with this clause:

Il provvedimento prevede sul piano penale:

Any thoughts?

I currently have:

the measure introduces criminal law for: But I am not convinced.

PS the Questore is the top man at the Questura isn't he? I am guessing!

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Feb 11th 2015 at 6:43 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Il provvedimento prevede sul piano penale:

Any thoughts?

I currently have:

the measure introduces criminal law for: But I am not convinced.

PS the Questore is the top man at the Questura isn't he? I am guessing!
It would be better to have a complete sentence. Anyway...

I usually translate "prevede" as "envisages" or "provides for".
"sul piano penale" means something like "from the criminal law point of view".

Maybe: "envisages under criminal law..."

"Questore" I've seen translated as "Chief Constable"!!! I wouldn't use that here, but it should give an idea of what the questore is.

As I say, you should really give more context. I hope someone else will help you because I've got to get on with my work!!
Old Feb 11th 2015, 7:20 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by jonwel
It would be better to have a complete sentence. Anyway...

I usually translate "prevede" as "envisages" or "provides for".
"sul piano penale" means something like "from the criminal law point of view".

Maybe: "envisages under criminal law..."

"Questore" I've seen translated as "Chief Constable"!!! I wouldn't use that here, but it should give an idea of what the questore is.

As I say, you should really give more context. I hope someone else will help you because I've got to get on with my work!!
Thanks jonwei - I was thinking along the same lines as you suggest.

BTW I actually went for Police Commissioner not Chief Constable
Old Feb 11th 2015, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jonwel

Sorry can't help as I'm doing an IT to FR translation at the mo. Brain otherwise engaged!
I think what jonwel says is right though.

Chief of Police . .something like that.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 8:08 pm

Without knowing what comes before or after, couldn't "Il provvedimento prevede sul piano penale" mean something like:

criminal law is the basis for deliberations/actions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.