Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old May 6th 2015, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Originally Posted by Ugo51

It must be awful for an English speaker to hear the Italian pronunciation of English words

...or maybe not so much? To be honest I find quite funny when you say Italian words like bruschetta, spaghetti or even pizza. I hope for you is the same but in reverse
and when my sister says "chee ah barta"!
Old May 6th 2015, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

I find the English pronunciation of "bolognese" particularly amusing

...on the other hand I've been living in UK for nearly 6 years and sometimes I still slip on some easy words like "city"
Old May 6th 2015, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

The mispronunciations that annoy me on both sides are the ones that could easily be corrected. The correct pronunciations of ciabatta and latte should present no problem at all to English speakers.
And on Italian TV they always pronounce Luke and Lewis as Lyuke and Lyewis for no logical reason. I don't think any part of the English-speaking world pronounces them this way. And people are astonished when I tell them to pronounce Andrew as Andru and not Endryu.
Old May 6th 2015, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Thanks. I thought it was. When a student said something about a cover band today I knew it sounded wrong, but then I had one of those awful moments when I confidently said "tribute band" and then wondered if I was right or not.

I only watched 45 minutes of the Expo opening night on TV and I had a mental note today to tell my students how to pronounce the words that Bonolis and Clerici got horribly wrong.
Sorry Lorna, coming back to this I think 'cover band' is acceptable too. 'Tribute band' is usually for a certian group like The beales,Queen or whatever, whereas cover band play different songs originally by different artists.

Phew! Rock n roll!

I heard Bonolis doing the Expo intro on telly in different languages it made my blood boil ... it was just so kitsch, so Italian .. like a waiter calling tourists of different origins into his restaurant. Sort of goes back to our discussion of the Italian obsession about having to translate everything, and usually getting it wrong in the process.
Worst thing is everyone says 'Oh isn't he clever that he knows all those langauges..'. Dreadful.
Old May 6th 2015, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD

I heard Bonolis doing the Expo intro on telly in different languages it made my blood boil ... it was just so kitsch, so Italian .. like a waiter calling tourists of different origins into his restaurant. Sort of goes back to our discussion of the Italian obsession about having to translate everything, and usually getting it wrong in the process.
Worst thing is everyone says 'Oh isn't he clever that he knows all those langauges..'. Dreadful.
I think there is quite a bit of pressure behind the need to translate public speeches.
It's almost like if we wanted to show we are not so bad with English, although it only proves the opposite.

It's a strange relationship that one of Italians with the English language...
Old May 6th 2015, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ugo51
I think there is quite a bit of pressure behind the need to translate public speeches.
It's almost like if we wanted to show we are not so bad with English, although it only proves the opposite.

It's a strange relationship that one of Italians with the English language...
On this occasion how about if they'd got some native young people on to say all that (useless) stuff in their own language? The German was even in a kind of faux-Hitler accent (people laughed). Ueber-embarassing.
Old May 6th 2015, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

On this occasion how about if they'd got some native young people on to say all that (useless) stuff in their own language? The German was even in a kind of faux-Hitler accent (people laughed). Ueber-embarassing.
Hate to have missed that...

Old May 13th 2015, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Dedica ... intended as a 'dedication' in a book (To my husband, etc.) - although I have to give a title (like Preface, Acknowledgments etc..) as it's quite long and rambling.

I've never seen it as a 'title' in a book .. a dedication is usually just there.

Any ideas? Just writing 'Dedication' doesn't seem right to me.
Old May 13th 2015, 7:03 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Dedica ... intended as a 'dedication' in a book (To my husband, etc.) - although I have to give a title (like Preface, Acknowledgments etc..) as it's quite long and rambling.

I've never seen it as a 'title' in a book .. a dedication is usually just there.

Any ideas? Just writing 'Dedication' doesn't seem right to me.
Tricky. Normally without a title: "this book is dedicated too...."

You might have to go for DEDICATION in the middle or you could use as a title something like: "For Dr MarkRD" and then do the full dedication below.
Old May 13th 2015, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Tricky. Normally without a title: "this book is dedicated too...."

You might have to go for DEDICATION in the middle or you could use as a title something like: "For Dr MarkRD" and then do the full dedication below.
Thanks Mike (and for the acknowledgement ) - I've seen that 'Dedication' is used for a title sometimes but usually followed by just a few lines.... whereas this goes on a bit. I'll just go with Dedication as a title .. the writerhas very little English and it's probably what she's expecting anyway.

btw 'Acknowledgements' for 'Ringraziamenti' right?
Old May 13th 2015, 7:57 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mike (and for the acknowledgement ) - I've seen that 'Dedication' is used for a title sometimes but usually followed by just a few lines.... whereas this goes on a bit. I'll just go with Dedication as a title .. the writerhas very little English and it's probably what she's expecting anyway.

btw 'Acknowledgements' for 'Ringraziamenti' right?
"riconoscimenti" maybe slightly better
Old May 13th 2015, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

"riconoscimenti" maybe slightly better
Sorry, I meant the other way round .. I've translated Ringraziamenti as Acknowledgements (rather than 'Thanks')
Old May 13th 2015, 8:14 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Sorry, I meant the other way round .. I've translated Ringraziamenti as Acknowledgements (rather than 'Thanks')
Ah ok - my bad
Old May 13th 2015, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah ok - my bad
No probs. More coffee?
Old May 13th 2015, 8:47 am
Dunroaming back in UK

No probs. More coffee?
for sure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.