Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old Dec 13th 2014, 7:12 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
Lorna, I note that you have a lot of posts so may I presume that you have been in Italy a long time? I guess that this is the prima media so he has run into a group of locals. .... I think it is unfortunate and there is very little you can do without making it worse, kids can be quite vindictive, a low profile from him is probably the best course. Get advice from the professionals but weigh it up very carefully and don't let him go with anything that sets him apart from the rest.
Hi Maybe1day.

I have a lot of posts because I'm a huge chatterbox and I joined this forum 6 years ago. Bloody hell. Six years! Truth be told I spend a lot of time at home on my own as OH travels quite a lot for work. The kids were still very young six years ago so a lot of evenings were spent home alone when they were in bed.
Yep, son is now in prima media. The sad part of the bullying is that most of it has been done by lads who were his friends for the last five years, both at school and at football club. It's weird how they can push him into a puddle at school on a Wednesday and then send him messages on Saturday afternoon asking if he's joining them all for a bike ride. It's like they have to prove something at school and it's easy to pick on Alex. Like they're trying to prove themselves as big lads or something.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Dec 14th 2014 at 6:58 am.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Hello everyone - Happy New Year.

Ital. 'mediologo' .... media expert? media sudies expert? I can't find any reliable uses of the word 'mediologist' in English. I'm talking about an academic.

thanks.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Hello everyone - Happy New Year.

Ital. 'mediologo' .... media expert? media sudies expert? I can't find any reliable uses of the word 'mediologist' in English. I'm talking about an academic.

thanks.
"Media expert" sounds right to me. It's not a precise academic definition like "biologist" or "historian", it just means someone who's got himself noticed by writing a few books or articles (methinks).
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jonwel
"Media expert" sounds right to me. It's not a precise academic definition like "biologist" or "historian", it just means someone who's got himself noticed by writing a few books or articles (methinks).
Yes my thoughts exactly Jonwel. Thanks for backing me up!

While you're there...the plural of 'TV series' .. ? TV Series?

The ital. is 'le serie TV' which expresses the plural form through the article, but obviously not so in English 'TV series' which to me just sounds singlular. What would be a good way to convey the plural in English?
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

If you are talking about an academic, you might use "media scientist". E.g. Umberto Eco is cited as "media scientist". (by google search)

in particular, social media science is a new discipline in between sociology and computer science (I know many scientific researchers that work in this sector)
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by primularossa
If you are talking about an academic, you might use "media scientist". E.g. Umberto Eco is cited as "media scientist". (by google search)

in particular, social media science is a new discipline in between sociology and computer science (I know many scientific researchers that work in this sector)
Thanks prmula. Yes I've seen "social media scientist" but that doesn't work in my context.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MarkRD;the plural of 'TV series' .. ? TV Series?

The ital. is 'le serie TV' which expresses the plural form through the article, but obviously not so in English 'TV series' which to me just sounds singlular. What would be a good way to convey the plural in English?[/QUOTE]

Yes, series is used as singular and plural, like "sheep". One sheep, two sheep.

you may find many exemples on the web

grammar - Is "series" Plural or Singular? - English Language Learners Stack Exchange

grammatical number - What is the proper plural of “a series”? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by primularossa
Yes thanks again. I'd seen those too. I was just looking for a good way to express the plural in English where the article can't be used... "studies based on TV series" doesn't sound right to me in English .. whereas the Italian uses the article so you know it's plural "studi basati sulle serie tv" ..
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

I think "studies based on TV series" sounds OK, but you can also say "some" or "various".
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes thanks again. I'd seen those too. I was just looking for a good way to express the plural in English where the article can't be used... "studies based on TV series" doesn't sound right to me in English .. whereas the Italian uses the article so you know it's plural "studi basati sulle serie tv" ..
Maybe the reader should understand from the context. It is difficult that "studies" (pl) are based on ONE series, unless you are previously talking about ONE specific series.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

IDEA! ..how about using 'serials' .. TV serials ... or does it sound too much like cornflakes?
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:11 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

IDEA! ..how about using 'serials' .. TV serials ... or does it sound too much like cornflakes?
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Why not use the more generic TV Drama ?
Old Jan 7th 2015, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
Why not use the more generic TV Drama ?
Nope. They might be comedies...
Old Jan 7th 2015, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

TV productions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.