Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:51 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting SKY Tv in Italy

No problem, getting the digibox should be no problem either, get a Freesat one if you're not too bothered about Sky, or get a Sky box off Ebay.

Just remember that if you wanted to record, pause live TV, etc. then only the Freesat version will work without a subscription. The Sky plus version only works if you have a valid subscription and card so don't go thinking you'll be able to use the record functions.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

peter cotgrove is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sophie tucker
Not sure who might be interested but you can watch most British or us channels with viewtvabroad.com. They also offer sky tv too. The cost is very reasonable and you can on a month by month basis. I had a free 24 hour trial and it worked very well, a little buffering but no great issue. If you want to know more let me know, ps it was very easy to set up and I attached my iPad to the tv to watch.
hi can you let me know how to do this and do you just plug in to your tv from ipad and get all REGARDS PETER
Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:29 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
.For example, the BBC is broadcasting from Astra 2D and has a weak signal,
But from Friday BBC1, 2, 3, 4 are on Astra 1N, also at 28 east.

where it will join all the other ex-Astra 2d channels, like ITVs and C4s and the Fives.

I dont know how this will affect you and your reception in Italy (as I am sure it will vary greatly from noth to south) , but here in Spain channels that were not available 24/7 on a 3.1m dish are currently fine 24/7 on an 80cm dish - it will ont last for long though
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:47 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guy, do you know how long they'll stay on Astra 1N though? A year or so?? I suppose the big test will be when they move again to the new Astra 2E satellite. There seem to be a few reports of people being able to view ITV now in places where previously they had no reception of Astra 2D.

The most important thing is that I've still got 24/7 reception at the moment .
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Wiffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guy, do you know how long they'll stay on Astra 1N though? A year or so?? I suppose the big test will be when they move again to the new Astra 2E satellite. There seem to be a few reports of people being able to view ITV now in places where previously they had no reception of Astra 2D.

The most important thing is that I've still got 24/7 reception at the moment .
I can now get ITV 1 & 3 and E4 sans other channels. Even if it lasts for 1 year that would be great!
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 8:13 am
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by peter cotgrove
i can get a 1 mtr to 1,2 mtr dish and i have a box and card registered in uk what is next move regards peter
There are reception reports of people in NW Sardinia receiving BBC/ITV on a 1.9mt dish.

But like The Guy mentioned, the channels broadcasting from Astra 2D are transferring temporarily to Astra 1N and the reception might be really good but we don't know how long this good reception will last.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 8:16 am
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by Wiffy
I can now get ITV 1 & 3 and E4 sans other channels. Even if it lasts for 1 year that would be great!
Worth a try tuning for the BBC channels next week just in case. I think you have a 1m dish IIRC.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Wiffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Worth a try tuning for the BBC channels next week just in case. I think you have a 1m dish IIRC.
Since I discovered that E4 was back and that I could also get ITV, I've tried the BBC channels but no luck. Will keep trying.

Yep I have a 1m dish (I needed the urban dictionary to figure out IIRC).
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

The people who can not get Astra 2d will not be affected by the changeover to Astra 1N.
Does anyone know when Astra 2A and 2B will be moved to 1N?
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 5:56 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guy, do you know how long they'll stay on Astra 1N though? A year or so?? .
2e, 2f and 2g are being launched from q4 2012 to q4 2014.
2F is being launched first - yes not in the correct order!

One would assume that is up and tested, these 1N channels will be moved to it. But only those SES bods and the broadcasters would know for sure.

Originally Posted by Isakat
Does anyone know when Astra 2A and 2B will be moved to 1N?
They may or may not.
Some frequencies may just move directly to 2F, or 2e or 2g bypassing 1N altogether.
And if they do go to 1N it will again be a tempory move until the new replacements are up and running.

Originally Posted by Wiffy
Since I discovered that E4 was back and that I could also get ITV, I've tried the BBC channels but no luck. Will keep trying.
Try Friday morning. The changes happen between 3am and 6am, so you should notice a difference afer then, not before!

Last edited by The Guy; Feb 22nd 2012 at 5:59 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Fizzbin2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Few queries for Duffer please.

My present thinking is to go for the BBC FREESAT option rather than the SKY FREESAT option because I don't want the hassle of viewing cards and having to register it here in the UK before I take it over to Italy etc. I can live without SKY NEWS as long as I do get BBC News 24.

Just want to be able to see a few UK channels in decent quality, not bothered about record function or timers or re-winding live TV etc.

So looking at the link you sent me, it seems there are BBC FREESAT models - may as well ago for the HD version - not particularly expensive with two models I am looking at being the SAGEMCOM DS186HD (from John Lewis) or the LOGIK LHDFSAT11 (from Currys and a few others). Any reason not to go for either of those?

[Both boxes say they will allow access to the BBC iPlayer but I assume that won't be the case when used in Italy?]

Then I just buy a dish (1.2metre?) get an antenistta to make the connections and point in the direction of Astra 2D/Astra 1N on 28.2 degrees east?

Job done?

The other query I have relates to whether a FREESAT box purchased in the UK would work with a TV purchased in Italy because of the TV system differences. I understand that the UK have PAL I while Italy has PAL B/G.

Will that be a problem?

Thanks again for your help with this.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Italybound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting SKY TV in Italy

Hi all....new to the forum..........great information and help here. I am an American moving to southern Italy shortly. (Puglia region). I have searched this thread and did find a few postings on acquiring Sky in Puglia. The only problem is the posts are a few years old and with the quick changes these posts may contain obsolete information. What if any solution is available for acquiring Sky TV in southern Italy at the present time. Any help appreciated.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 2:03 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting SKY TV in Italy

Originally Posted by Italybound
Hi all....new to the forum..........great information and help here. I am an American moving to southern Italy shortly. (Puglia region). I have searched this thread and did find a few postings on acquiring Sky in Puglia. The only problem is the posts are a few years old and with the quick changes these posts may contain obsolete information. What if any solution is available for acquiring Sky TV in southern Italy at the present time. Any help appreciated.
Hi, and welcome. We do get Americans on here sometimes, but we seem to scare them off.

This thread is about getting Uk television in Italy and as you have probably gathered, Duffer is resident expert, but don't tell him I said that! Is that what you want? Alternatively you can subscribe to SkyItalia and swap the language option to English. You can also swap the language option on some programmes with digital tv.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Italybound is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi 37100,
Thanks for the warm welcome. I recognized Duffer's experience and open helpfulness. Always nice to have such experience available. Yes, I am interested in acquiring UK Sky in southern Italy. I understand that Italian TV leaves a lot to be desired for the Brits and the Americans. From a purely selfish standpoint, I understand that UK Sky also delivers some US TV stations. I should be there shortly, so it would benice to know how to set it up if available.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Italybound
Hi 37100,
Thanks for the warm welcome. I recognized Duffer's experience and open helpfulness. Always nice to have such experience available. Yes, I am interested in acquiring UK Sky in southern Italy. I understand that Italian TV leaves a lot to be desired for the Brits and the Americans. From a purely selfish standpoint, I understand that UK Sky also delivers some US TV stations. I should be there shortly, so it would benice to know how to set it up if available.
Hi Italybound,

welcome to the forum. I am also in Puglia but in the Salento. If you do manage to get UK Sky here, pls let me know how to go about it as I would love to have it, too (got SkyItalia at the moment). However need a KISS explanation (Keep it Short and Simple)!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.