Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

french train tickets

french train tickets

Old Jul 17th 2009, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of
Default Re: french train tickets

Originally Posted by Patty
Thanks dmu - I suppose it serves me right for not just getting on a plane But I seem to have developed a stupid fear of flying and as it just ruins my whole holiday I thought I'd try the train route. The only thing left to say is ....
I looooveeee the train!! it is just a pity that it is so expensive!!

ps: to top it all off I just got home and my iron gates are well & truly stcuk - so I put some wd40 and that didnt work and so I got a hammer and just wacked it open - hubby is not going to be pleased when he gets home ::
Serves him right for not sorting them out!!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 37100
Indiebird, I substitute baking powder with paneangeli. It works just as well once you've worked the dosage out.
Nope I have tried it. I don't like it!! I can taste it!!I have found cream of tartar recently so i can now make my own baking powder though
Golden syrup can be found in several shops ( i get mine at esselunga, but you haven't got a convenient one. I think Rivalta is the nearest).
oooh might have to have a look....
Piccali can be found at Paissa -at a price. Eataly sometimes stocks pickle though not continually and on rare, very rare occasions they stock cheddar! The cheddar gorge cheese company now send it but I haven't tried them -yet.
Hmmm eataly can be dangerous!! you never come out having spent a little!!

I've only seen suet on a couple of occasions and as for treacle, never.
Oh is off to Venaria next week but I'm not going. If you walk down the Viale from the cinema, take the 2nd left oh's family live on the on the left over the takeway (the takeaway has caused a huge family fallout which is why I'm staying here).
shame you are not coming as we could have maybe met up.... i do understand not going though if there is 'hassle' going on!! We avoided the inlaws back in the uk last year and I must admit that I would happily this year if they wouldn't get sooooo upset at not seeing the kids!! you can't choose your husbands family though eh!!??
Old Jul 17th 2009, 1:00 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=indiebird;7761042]Nope I have tried it. I don't like it!! I can taste it!!I have found cream of tartar recently so i can now make my own baking powder though

That's what I mean about the dosage - so you can't taste it. Or maybe I've got used to the taste of it.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

I love italian food and cooking but their cakes are rubbish!! I can always taste that nasty fizzy bicarb in them!! However, I have recently discovered that mascarpone makes a very wonderful substitute for double whipped cream in the middle of a vicoria sponge!! ...although as dh pointed out, that is only useful here as in the UK mascapone would be much, much more expensive than double cream!!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Indie - surprisingly the train ticket route has cost me less than flying. Probably cos the flights to london weren't that brill for end Aug and also to connect to Guernsey was a headache - overnight stay in London (more expense) and then the flights to Gsy were very dear - so all in all I'm happier all round. We were lucky with the return Paris to Turin cos there were some smart seats left at 25€ - that had me jumping up and down with joy at the station

ps. have sent you a pm