Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

french train tickets

french train tickets

Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future
Default Re: french train tickets

It's not just you. I gave up using the "Voyages SNCF" site when I lived in Paris because it never seemed to want to accept my (French) card! I've no helpful hints for you though I'm afraid- I used to just go to the station in advance.
It's true that you need a reserved seat on a TGV but, like the Eurostar in Italy, you can make that reservation just before you get on the train, provided there's still room. There's the gamble I suppose. Plus you would miss out on any cheaper fares.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:31 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Don't how improved the service is, but have you seen the new trenitalia website? Very posh! Might even be worth a punt Patty, you never know!!

Must admit when we took the "Riviera" train to Nice last year all the problems were on the French side, from the huge hold up at the border between France and Monaco while they turfed off some Arabic immigrants for whatever reason and then the French cancelled their side of the journey on the return trip so we had to get on a local train to the border and change onto the "Riviera" train there!! So no matter what anyone says about Italy I think their train service is cheap and bloody brilliant!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K in Modena
It's not just you. I gave up using the "Voyages SNCF" site when I lived in Paris because it never seemed to want to accept my (French) card! I've no helpful hints for you though I'm afraid- I used to just go to the station in advance.
It's true that you need a reserved seat on a TGV but, like the Eurostar in Italy, you can make that reservation just before you get on the train, provided there's still room. There's the gamble I suppose. Plus you would miss out on any cheaper fares.
Crikey - thats really bad - you actually lived there AND had a french card !! Theres no hope for us then is there

Testa - I know what you mean - I've think I've come to realise over the past couple of weeks (after my visit to the UK) that Italy DOES have its faults - but its not as bad as some places and at least I know its faults ! (dont faint - coming from someone who usually moans non stop about the place its a bit of shock I know ) Just got back from a very pleasant afternoon at the swimming pool and am having a nice glass of Kir ...yum yum !
Old Jul 9th 2009, 8:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K in Modena
It's not just you. I gave up using the "Voyages SNCF" site when I lived in Paris because it never seemed to want to accept my (French) card! :
That's odd, I often take the TGV to and from Montpellier and Paris and always book on that site and pay with my French Visa Card. No problems.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:30 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Patty just checked and you CAN buy the tickets through the trenitalia website. You then pick them up from an automatic machine at the departure station in Italy. Hth.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Testa - will keep that in mind. But if thats the case then why couldnt the man at the station do that part for me ??
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:08 pm
The Original Red Head!

On the website it specifically says you have to book them on-line then pick them up only from the automatic machines - so I guess this is why! I'd check it out, as it seems to be your answer. I actually had the times etc. on the screen in front of me, so it is definitely doable.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Testa - I went online trenitalia and I selected the times I wanted and then it blocked and said....
'siamo spiacenti ma la soluzione scelta non e acquistablile' .
(sorry but the choice you have made is not purchasable)

Anyway - I want to thank everyone who helped - both on the italian forum and the french forum and to say that I have just had confirmation through from my 'molto brava' niece to say she has managed to do it through the sncf site and I can now sleep at night
Phew what a palaver !!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:39 am
The Original Red Head!

Glad to hear it!! There was something about august 1st on the trenitalia site - I think I must have misunderstood the translation. It said for travel after the 1/08 but I assumed you would still be able to buy them now. So it means from 01/08!! At least you know that is an option for next time.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:05 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty

Anyway - I want to thank everyone who helped - both on the italian forum and the french forum and to say that I have just had confirmation through from my 'molto brava' niece to say she has managed to do it through the sncf site and I can now sleep at night
Ouf!!!
and bon voyage!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

glad you managed to get it sorted, have a good trip
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi,

What time do you arrive in Paris?(Gare de Lyon?) There isn't a direct Métro between the two stations, so allow plenty of time to cross Paris.
All the best!
Sorry to bore everyont to tears with this again - but just wanted to ask a quicky !! Can anyone tell me the best way to cross Paris from Gare du Lyon to Montparnasse ? I know they now have little moped special taxis but theres 3 of us with lugagge - is it best to just hop in a taxi and fingers crossed we dont get ripped off (am I being too Italian )
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Patty, could you not ask the drivers how much before you get in. You can really get ripped off from the airport here!! A friend recently got in a cab literally for two minutes up the road as he works near the airport and his car was parked there and the driver charged him €10.... we reckon was the English price!!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

thats what worries me most - is that if french taxi drivers (or rather parisian) are anything like italian taxi drivers then I'll have a big hole in my purse
Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:05 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Patty
Sorry to bore everyont to tears with this again - but just wanted to ask a quicky !! Can anyone tell me the best way to cross Paris from Gare du Lyon to Montparnasse ? I know they now have little moped special taxis but theres 3 of us with lugagge - is it best to just hop in a taxi and fingers crossed we dont get ripped off (am I being too Italian )
Hi! The Paris taxis are obliged to display the fare, but they add extra for the number of suitcases and also for the fact of picking you up at a railway station (I think the extras are marked somewhere inside the rear doors, so you can check that you aren't being ripped off!).

It would be much cheaper to take the Métro (line 1) and change at Châtelet for line 4, and I've just discovered that the 91 bus passes very close to the Gare de Lyon on its way to Montparnasse, but, with 3 of you + luggage, that would add more stress to your journey...
Bon voyage!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.