Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

french train tickets

french train tickets

Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default french train tickets

I went to buy my train tickets to St Malo yesterday and the italian guy was very good but could only book me as far as Paris, so I am trying to buy the tickets from Paris to St Malo online and the SNCF is not letting me do it. I have tried various methods (ie.through choosing Italy as my booking base and then trying the UK) its very strange cos it goes right up to the card details, accepts all that and then it cancels everything 'due to a technical error' ??? Anyone else tried doing and had problems ? If anyone has any advice - I looked at traineurope but it was quite a bit dearer. Maybe I'll just have to drive over the border and go to the nearest french station to get them
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:45 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: french train tickets

Ask over on the French forum - they were very helpful when I was planning my French trip last year. I looked at SNCF briefly but then decided to drive from Nice to Toulouse. The trains are really expensive so as I needed to hire a car anyway it was cheaper for me to do it that way. I'm guessing you are ferrying to Guernsey from St Malo, so not really doable as the drop off fees can be quite high for a one way trip in a hire car.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Testa - I'll try that. Yes you're right - I'm going to Guernsey and this year I decided to try the train/boat option. The flights were expensive and needed an overnight in London on the way there and on the way back So I will be much more relaxed (and minus cold sores - they come when I fly, through stress !!) I've got the To-Paris and have also booked the boat so I just need the missing link
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
I went to buy my train tickets to St Malo yesterday and the italian guy was very good but could only book me as far as Paris, so I am trying to buy the tickets from Paris to St Malo online and the SNCF is not letting me do it. I have tried various methods (ie.through choosing Italy as my booking base and then trying the UK) its very strange cos it goes right up to the card details, accepts all that and then it cancels everything 'due to a technical error' ??? Anyone else tried doing and had problems ? If anyone has any advice - I looked at traineurope but it was quite a bit dearer. Maybe I'll just have to drive over the border and go to the nearest french station to get them

Hi Patty
are you using this website to book with SNCF - it's the one I usually use and don't have a problem

http://horaires1.agence.voyages-sncf...nte_body_TRAIN
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Val - its the same site that I've been trying since yesterday with no success. Both my daughter and I have tried all sorts of ways but we just keep getting technical error - its frustrating - I've got an image of us stranded in Paris with all our bags and the boat for Guernsey leaving ...
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Val - its the same site that I've been trying since yesterday with no success. Both my daughter and I have tried all sorts of ways but we just keep getting technical error - its frustrating - I've got an image of us stranded in Paris with all our bags and the boat for Guernsey leaving ...

our posts overlapped, so I've posted another link on the french forum
Seriously, if the worst comes to the worst, buying the train tickets in Paris is really easy, haven't come across anyone yet who doesn't speak English. Only problem is reserving the seats. Let me know if you are still having problems and will see what we can do this end
Val
Old Jul 8th 2009, 2:05 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50
Only problem is reserving the seats.
Val
Hi,
unfortunately you have to book TGV seats in advance, and the earlier you book, the cheaper they are and the more likely there'll be seats available. If it doesn't work on internet, you could take the risk of buying tickets when you get to Paris-Montparnasse, the TGVs to Rennes are frequent enough, but you'll have to calculate which trains from Rennes (mainly TERs but some TGVs) to St Malo will connect with your ferry...

What time do you arrive in Paris?(Gare de Lyon?) There isn't a direct Métro between the two stations, so allow plenty of time to cross Paris.
All the best!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 3:03 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Off the top of my head I can't remember the name but there is a French TGV office in milan and rome* and the also have there own site. If you can't find it I'll hunt round for you when I get back to Vr this weekend. We've also used CTS for tickets (any sort, anywhere) but they sometimes insist you join them and I don't know how much that is now.

* or was.

Last edited by 37100; Jul 8th 2009 at 3:04 pm. Reason: *
Old Jul 8th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

thanks all of you for all your advice - I am thinking seriously about just going to Milan for the day - bit of shopping and then find this office? How can something so straightforward become so difficult I will let you know the outcome ok

dmu : we get into Paris at 13.55 and wanted to get the 16.05 to Rennes/St Malo. Do you think that allows us enough time to cross Paris ?

37100: if you remember the address of the milan office it would be great.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 4:50 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Patty;7734719

dmu : we get into Paris at 13.55 and wanted to get the 16.05 to Rennes/St Malo. Do you think that allows us enough time to cross Paris ?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, you'll have plenty of time, taking the Métro with one change at Châtelet.
In answer to your question on the French forum, you can't get into a TGV without reserved seats (presuming the 16h05 is a TGV). If it's a TER or Corail, you don't need to book, although it's advisable in the summer. So, if you don't manage to book from Italy, get to Montparnasse ASAP and either get your tickets from a machine or queue up at the ticket office.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
Yes, you'll have plenty of time, taking the Métro with one change at Châtelet.
In answer to your question on the French forum, you can't get into a TGV without reserved seats (presuming the 16h05 is a TGV). If it's a TER or Corail, you don't need to book, although it's advisable in the summer. So, if you don't manage to book from Italy, get to Montparnasse ASAP and either get your tickets from a machine or queue up at the ticket office.
Cheers !!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rights thats it Am officially angry !! Have tried to book on the other site (as the TGV one just wont work) and so been trying Rail Europe. I got right to the end and then they wouldnt accept my e mail address and as I tried to put in the @ they said my ctrl key was disabled - I'm gobsmacked.
So rang my niece in the UK and she has tried to do the whole thing from there using her card and ..........yes you can guess - it wont let her book them either :curse:
In a way I'm glad its not just me cos I was beginning to get a bit of a complex !! But its very strange isnt it ? So tomorrows a new day and I am now leaving all in the capable hands of niece
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:13 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Rights thats it Am officially angry !! Have tried to book on the other site (as the TGV one just wont work) and so been trying Rail Europe. I got right to the end and then they wouldnt accept my e mail address and as I tried to put in the @ they said my ctrl key was disabled - I'm gobsmacked.
So rang my niece in the UK and she has tried to do the whole thing from there using her card and ..........yes you can guess - it wont let her book them either :curse:
In a way I'm glad its not just me cos I was beginning to get a bit of a complex !! But its very strange isnt it ? So tomorrows a new day and I am now leaving all in the capable hands of niece
It puts you right off travelling, doesn't it?
You've already got your tickets to Paris, otherwise you could have gone via Marseille where there's a direct TGV from Marseille to Rennes. Probably no quicker in the long run, but it would have saved crossing Paris...
Anyway, hope your niece is successful with the reservations and that you have a good journey!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:41 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
It puts you right off travelling, doesn't it?
You've already got your tickets to Paris, otherwise you could have gone via Marseille where there's a direct TGV from Marseille to Rennes. Probably no quicker in the long run, but it would have saved crossing Paris...
Anyway, hope your niece is successful with the reservations and that you have a good journey!
Forget what I just said. It seems you'd have to change twice between Torino and Marseille!!!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks dmu - I suppose it serves me right for not just getting on a plane But I seem to have developed a stupid fear of flying and as it just ruins my whole holiday I thought I'd try the train route. The only thing left to say is ....

ps: to top it all off I just got home and my iron gates are well & truly stcuk - so I put some wd40 and that didnt work and so I got a hammer and just wacked it open - hubby is not going to be pleased when he gets home ::

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.