Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Looking for English speakers in Lucca

Looking for English speakers in Lucca

Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Dex Quoter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for English speakers in Lucca

I'm Dex Quoter and I'm visiting Lucca soon for a stay of a few months. I'm presently in Vancouver in Canada. I'm a British Citizen and have lived in a few places around the world. My planned stay in Lucca is purely for rest and to absorb the Tuscan way of life. I write and I want to set a work in Lucca, hence my plan to say there for a while to do research.

I need advice on where to stay for an extended period of about 3 months. I'd prefer a small flat/apartment. I'd have a bicycle and use public transport.
Indeed any advice about anything in Lucca or about doing any kind of work would be a start.
I have been an educator and in theatre for some years - but I can wield a mean dishcloth and scower a pot better than greasy Joan in Shakespeare's play. I want to throw myself into life in the place as much as I can - talk to people, teach, tutor, learn Italian, go to the theatre and the opera and concerts and talk about the loves in life: opera, travel and art.
It would be invaluable for me to make a start with contacts in Lucca.
How did I come to choose the particular town? I love opera - perhaps it's true to say Puccini is my favourite opera composer - he just happens to have been born there. Aslo my muse make it known to me that this was where I had to base myself.
Well there it, my reasons for wanting to know about and to come to stay in Lucca. Has telling the simple truth made it look plausable or not?
Dex
Old Jul 19th 2009, 10:05 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for English speakers in Lucca

Welcome to the forum Dex
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:18 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Dex, I don't know Lucca at all - passed through it Friday and decided it was somewhere I had to visit, but I can give you a lead - Shaun Loftus at FITC in Florence. They have just put on a production of Macbeth in English in the Bargello. They are always looking for experienced actors, pros or amateurs, the criteria being English speakers or fluent speakers.

You can google them and that will give you some info. If you can track down Shaun she is verrry laid back so I am sure you would find her interesting to talk to. She would probably know who to get hold of in Lucca too.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Hey thanks for the info re English theatre in Florence - fascinating - I'll certainly follow up your suggestion - can't wait to get to Tuscany, it's been too long since I was last there!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Welcome to the forum Dex
Thanks - look forward to informative times!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Dex, I don't know Lucca at all - passed through it Friday and decided it was somewhere I had to visit, but I can give you a lead - Shaun Loftus at FITC in Florence. They have just put on a production of Macbeth in English in the Bargello. They are always looking for experienced actors, pros or amateurs, the criteria being English speakers or fluent speakers.

You can google them and that will give you some info. If you can track down Shaun she is verrry laid back so I am sure you would find her interesting to talk to. She would probably know who to get hold of in Lucca too.
Thanks your suggestion much appreciated!