Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old May 8th 2010, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Thanks everyone for the tips!
Old May 10th 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

ballerina will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by Margaret M
I get some beautiful rib beef from our local butcher. The rest of the customers look in amazement at the size of joint I buy, but I think if you buy small it cooks away to nothing.
that joint i cooked yesterday shrunk down to nothing! and when I took it out of the pack it had fat all the way around so I took a load off the bottom. Good job OH's flatmate had his Cougar gf's 'dogmeat stew' leftovers because there would never have been enough on it to feed the four of us!!! It was very tasty though
Old May 14th 2010, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 37100
If it's the same Preston man we use it costs £45 + £5 for one of his boxes if you need it and for an extra charge he will also pack your things. M&S xmas cake was also one of the things in my last box, but none of us really like it.
Sorry to jump halfway into this thread... But the preston man..... Is the £45
the delivery charge..... How does it work, will he fetch anything?

Thanks

Pete
Old May 14th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dina1965 will become famous soon enoughdina1965 will become famous soon enough

can't remember when and where I mentioned poached eggs ... I'd like to add crumpets ...
Old May 14th 2010, 7:35 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

We had poached eggs with toast yesterday at Antonia's request - they were very good! I don't even possess a poacher!!
Old May 18th 2010, 10:21 am
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

did another run to lidl this morning there is one west of me 30 minutes drive, its very cheap compared to the coop, I took 2 trays of baked beans a tray of tinned tomatoes big jar of gherkins plus loads of stuff 65 euro, its a good no queue easy parking good selection soya milk for sale I haven't tasted it yet though, it was out of town too easy to get to, no more coop for me, I will still use my local supermarket sometimes just because the three girls are like film stars!!
Old May 18th 2010, 10:35 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bricwood
did another run to lidl this morning there is one west of me 30 minutes drive, its very cheap compared to the coop, I took 2 trays of baked beans a tray of tinned tomatoes big jar of gherkins plus loads of stuff 65 euro, its a good no queue easy parking good selection soya milk for sale I haven't tasted it yet though, it was out of town too easy to get to, no more coop for me, I will still use my local supermarket sometimes just because the three girls are like film stars!!
Our Lidls are crap. They are dear, dearer than some supermarkets. Easy parking, but huge queues at the check out. Have to try their beans even though I can get Heinz for €1 in a chinese shop.
Old May 18th 2010, 10:42 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete Grey
Sorry to jump halfway into this thread... But the preston man..... Is the £45
the delivery charge..... How does it work, will he fetch anything?

Thanks

Pete
Sorry, only just saw this. Preston man picks up from Mum near Blackpool, straight on to East Midlands (the main cargo hub for the UK), goes via Germany and delivers to us on Friday, if all goes well. You can't send anything that could go off and you have to be careful and wrap up any white powders (coffemate/custard etc) well or the box gets opened and sent back. He will also pack, but I think he would have to know you first. He doesn't do your buying though he will take delivery of some things - Siver Cross prams are very popular in the Arab world - and send them on.
Old May 18th 2010, 12:11 pm
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

Our Lidls are crap. They are dear, dearer than some supermarkets. Easy parking, but huge queues at the check out. Have to try their beans even though I can get Heinz for €1 in a chinese shop.
I tried the beans don't seem bad to me, the soya milk is ok too which is handy as the soya in the coop is vile, it was painless shopping about 10 customers in the shop and two tills open ,I cant think of anything I need that was not there, they had trainers too but I left my glasses in the car
Old May 18th 2010, 12:53 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by bricwood
I tried the beans don't seem bad to me, the soya milk is ok too which is handy as the soya in the coop is vile, it was painless shopping about 10 customers in the shop and two tills open ,I cant think of anything I need that was not there, they had trainers too but I left my glasses in the car
Can't stand soya and I always, always carry a spare pair of specs in my handbag well 2 actually cos I'm paranoid.
Old May 18th 2010, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Can't stand soya and I always, always carry a spare pair of specs in my handbag well 2 actually cos I'm paranoid.
I tried to make meatballs in the UK from Soya Mince. Failed miserably they wouldn't hold together and kind of just made the fat explode it was very weird.

In the end I added loads of tomatoes and herbs and made them into a sauce.

Last edited by Pecora Nera; May 18th 2010 at 1:50 pm. Reason: Adjust Spelling Hee hee
Old May 18th 2010, 2:25 pm
Banned

soya meat is a bit strange but the burgers are tasty, interesting fact, a few years back there were story's about soya causing cancer mainly circulated by American dairy farmers , when more research was done it was discovered that the longest living people on earth live in japan and eat tons of soya, if you google it you will find the place I know cancer is unknown and there is not even a cancer ward, and there are clubs for 100 year old people as there are so many, soya supposedly slows the change of life by mimicking hormones and reduces prostrate cancer in men, so its not all bad, I think soya milk tastes better in tea once you get used to it, one thing I really miss in Italy are cheap carrots I used to buy big sacks and juice with apples and oranges but in italy they seem like a delicacy with about 10 in a carton I used to juice 10 first thing each day, if you look up all the juicing gurus like jack lallane and doctor smith they all live long lives doctor smith one of the first juicers lived to I think 101 , but who wants to live that long!
Old May 18th 2010, 2:27 pm
Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_LaLanne
Old May 18th 2010, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Pizza anyone?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...d-COFFINS.html

I hope it is not true as they might be doing the same here in Rome.
Old May 18th 2010, 4:01 pm
Banned

I read that story but imagine how many graves you would need to rob, get the coffin up chop the wood take to the shop, bodies everywhere

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.