Inglorious Empire

Old Apr 29th 2020, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inglorious Empire

Originally Posted by morpeth
Thanks bipat interesting article. nice that indians could start their businesses and prosper under british rule with also the benefit of western science so i am not sure how the article shows anything disadvantageous to british rule but the opposite. indian traditional medicine i am sure has many benefits, i take turmeric and has been very helpful.
"Nice"???? To be able to start a business in your own country!!!!
Old Apr 29th 2020, 1:05 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
That defeats your 'born and bred' argument. Husband India born and bred, never left the country until the age of 31, is now OCI. Is he "foreign"??
It means a lot more than 'immigration status', full rights except voting and buying agricultural land. Always ongoing controversy regarding voting rights (should be introduced etc.) Dual nationality allowed etc.
Haven't looked up the Wiki definition, these definitions are not always accurate. I am not of Indian "origin" but am OCI.

Another anomaly--- those descended from people living under the Portuguese Empire (Goa etc.) who were registered at birth and offspring registered, keep their Portuguese nationality and are therefore dual nationals. Even if never lived in India. Until Brexit therefore had FOM into the UK!
Doesn't really undermine it at all. Relative to Indian law on citizenship and dual nationality, on acquisition of British nationality your husband became foreign. He is of Indian origin so it is the perfect fit for him until such time as the law changes.

However, I think you're looking at it in too black and white terms. As I said previously it's more about what you are culturally, socially, the language you use in your head in every day thought, and so on. It's not just about a document .

I would have thought 31 years in your country of birth would have been enough to define someone. I know that 22 in my country was.

As I said in another post, my own children are 'British ' yet they've barely spent 6 weeks there their whole lives. I think people who've lived in the uk their whole lives would probably see them as different.

There are so many shared experiences relative to where you grow up that define you as a person, whether that relates to language, food, music, government, housing, political systems, weather, nightlife, shopping, corruption etc etc. I could go on and on.

If this wasn't the case, why do people get culture shock living in a new country, or even reverse culture shock returning to their own country. It's because things are different in different places. Ergo people are different.
Old Apr 29th 2020, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Doesn't really undermine it at all. Relative to Indian law on citizenship and dual nationality, on acquisition of British nationality your husband became foreign. He is of Indian origin so it is the perfect fit for him until such time as the law changes.

However, I think you're looking at it in too black and white terms. As I said previously it's more about what you are culturally, socially, the language you use in your head in every day thought, and so on. It's not just about a document .

I would have thought 31 years in your country of birth would have been enough to define someone. I know that 22 in my country was.

As I said in another post, my own children are 'British ' yet they've barely spent 6 weeks there their whole lives. I think people who've lived in the uk their whole lives would probably see them as different.

There are so many shared experiences relative to where you grow up that define you as a person, whether that relates to language, food, music, government, housing, political systems, weather, nightlife, shopping, corruption etc etc. I could go on and on.

If this wasn't the case, why do people get culture shock living in a new country, or even reverse culture shock returning to their own country. It's because things are different in different places. Ergo people are different.
The point about our circumstances is that we have always divided our time between the two countries. From 3 years after marriage onwards. Bi-two-duo-pat!!!

I used to think how much money we would have had if we didn't spend so much on airfares---!!!

The 'culture shock' for OH was how much UK needed NHS doctors---(he had come just to take a Postgrad. exam)----and just kept being offered jobs--.and obviously lured into marriage!

For me the culture shock was Mumbai streets and realising it was pointless to have brought a pushchair for the toddler and new baby!! but once in the family home, it was home. I do think my mother in law who took me 'under her wing', meant that I never was 'different', 'foreign' etc.
Possibly my origins by Norfolk coast going to home in India rural coast meant a connection.
(Our children have the same bilateral connections with their cousins in India.)

Last edited by Bipat; Apr 29th 2020 at 1:51 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2020, 2:23 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

The point about our circumstances is that we have always divided our time between the two countries. From 3 years after marriage onwards. Bi-two-duo-pat!!!

I used to think how much money we would have had if we didn't spend so much on airfares---!!!

The 'culture shock' for OH was how much UK needed NHS doctors---(he had come just to take a Postgrad. exam)----and just kept being offered jobs--.and obviously lured into marriage!

For me the culture shock was Mumbai streets and realising it was pointless to have brought a pushchair for the toddler and new baby!! but once in the family home, it was home. I do think my mother in law who took me 'under her wing', meant that I never was 'different', 'foreign' etc.
Possibly my origins by Norfolk coast going to home in India rural coast meant a connection.
(Our children have the same bilateral connections with their cousins in India.)
I'm sure he was a great catch, as a doctor and a husband. ​​​​
Old Apr 29th 2020, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well I was a great catch as a doctor and a wife!! (I haven't run off yet!!!)

Old Apr 29th 2020, 2:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I was a great catch as a doctor and a wife!! (I haven't run off yet!!!)
Let's hope so - bit late for either to trade in for new models!
Old Apr 29th 2020, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

"Nice"???? To be able to start a business in your own country!!!!
nice compared to the image you seek to portray of India under British rule.
Old Apr 29th 2020, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I am a "citizen of India", I have never said that I was of Indian origin.
You DO seem to have a problem.
i would suggest having a different opinion as a foreigner brings up the need to make personal remarks like that concerning someone with different opinions you may re-think whether to post on a public forum.if different opinions generate the need for personal comments like that. i have already posted if you wish to imagine yourself to be Indian and not a foreigner in India so what, or if based on a piece of paper.
Old Apr 29th 2020, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Let's hope so - bit late for either to trade in for new models!
Never to late!!!!!-----
Old Aug 15th 2020, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

74th Independence Day. Today.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...ByeJWhdGO.html
Old Aug 15th 2020, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Reminiscent of the time of declining empire, today is the 75th anniversary of VJ Day.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reminiscent of the time of declining empire, today is the 75th anniversary of VJ Day.
Interesting speech, of course in the middle of the corona crisis has to bring up space, And of course key focus on reducing imports. though of course Brexiters will contend because the imagined deep affection for Britain Modi will be sure the already deeply negative economic relation the UK has with India won't get worse for the UK.

On the other hand got to give him credit for having a vision for the future which seems more tangible than leaders in many other countries.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes ---and many Indian soldiers took part in WW2 as the UK remembers.
(I only recently found out that Indian air force pilots flew in the Battle of Britain.)

https://www.easterneye.biz/uk-rememb...ce%3A%20IWM%29

Last edited by Bipat; Aug 15th 2020 at 3:56 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by morpeth
Interesting speech, of course in the middle of the corona crisis has to bring up space, And of course key focus on reducing imports. though of course Brexiters will contend because the imagined deep affection for Britain Modi will be sure the already deeply negative economic relation the UK has with India won't get worse for the UK.

On the other hand got to give him credit for having a vision for the future which seems more tangible than leaders in many other countries.
This event obviously happens every year!

(Perhaps you can keep your Brexit predictions for another thread.)

Old Aug 15th 2020, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

(I only recently found out that Indian air force pilots flew in the Battle of Britain.
And pilots of many other nationalities, including, for example, many more Poles than Indians.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.