Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Originally Posted by Petals
I am personally pleased to see that English skills are high priority.

Lets face it I sometimes put the phone down and ring back to get an Aus on the other end when talking to gov departments here.

Word on my Aussie grape vine is people will be pleased.
Ha Ha I do that all the time.... or I speak gibberish back to them until they set the phone down.

Yeah I have it thats a great Idea..... we should use this as a migration test.... those people who require IELTS should be made to phone random members of the Australian public and if they get the phone slammed down within a minute they fail.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by believer
Maybe in 2013 they would change it back since there would be too many doctors, nurses and teachers by then. The government would make people sick more often and make more babies to give these people enough jobs.
It's been a fiasco really!
Interestingly i never seen any jobs they wanted for what they support here in Australia-Climate Change! Non sense or just another B.S?

I was under the impression that there already were too many teachers. A brief glance at some of the teaching related threads over the past couple of months paints a very gloomy picture of employment prospects for newly arriving teachers. There is apparently lots of teacher unemployment in WA and only one job in Vic.

Interesting that they feel teaching is still a priority given those circumstances...

S
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Alucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really nice

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Ha Ha I do that all the time.... or I speak gibberish back to them until they set the phone down.

Yeah I have it thats a great Idea..... we should use this as a migration test.... those people who require IELTS should be made to phone random members of the Australian public and if they get the phone slammed down within a minute they fail.
I slam down the phone even if they have an Australian accent :/
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by believer
Maybe in 2013 they would change it back since there would be too many doctors, nurses and teachers by then. The government would make people sick more often and make more babies to give these people enough jobs.
It's been a fiasco really!
Interestingly i never seen any jobs they wanted for what they support here in Australia-Climate Change! Non sense or just another B.S?
I can't imagine there will ever be too many doctors or nurses here, the country is crying out for them.

As for jobs in climate change - very very narrow field, and a fair few Aussies have skills in that and related areas. Absolutely no point on making that a skill in demand.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I was under the impression that there already were too many teachers. A brief glance at some of the teaching related threads over the past couple of months paints a very gloomy picture of employment prospects for newly arriving teachers. There is apparently lots of teacher unemployment in WA and only one job in Vic.

Interesting that they feel teaching is still a priority given those circumstances...

S
The job in VIC was from a search of primary jobs - just to clarify. I think the usual suspects of Science and Maths are in short supply in Secondary education........
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I know I am being dumb here (hey – i never claimed to be bright), but can anyone suggest why 20,000 applications made before 1 Sept 2007 would still be in the pipeline and the applicants still offshore?

Seems odd to me...
Many of those applications still being processed from pre 1 September 2007 would be applicants from high risk countries whose internal security agencies take their sweet time replying to requests from DIAC for information. Governments in places like Afganistan or Iraq don't always supply the requested information as quickly as UK might.

If you take a look at timelines for some of the applicants from 2006/2007 you will see there are many whose visas took 18 months or more. When I worked for a migration agent in 2007 we had applicants from high risk countries whose applications were 2 or more years old and still waiting for security checks.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

imblogger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT applicants on 175 not effected

HI,
Please correct if I am wrong ,so far from different sources what I have understand is Existing IT applicants on 175 GSM is not got effected .
yes or no ?
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

dalam is an unknown quantity at this point

As CSL will be phased out by mid 2010,any applicant wating for VISA grant letter is failed to get on or before date of declaration will be affeted.
So,it's not sure that we will get VISA asap those who are in final stage.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:52 am
Account Closed

aman_sharma2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GSM visa changes effective 8 Feb 2010

Originally Posted by umair
There are two options I am seeing now for those who have atleast 110 points excluding MODL.

a: Retake IELTS with 7 bands in each (worth 10 points)
b: get NAATI accreditation in any of australian community language (worth 5 points)
Why not you go for "State/territory government nomination" . You will get 10 extra points.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

dhama is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ALL
Can any one say what about IT applicants?. Since Modl list is revoked how to find out what skill set in IT comes under CSL ? Hope some one can answer my query

Dhama
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dhama
Hi ALL
Can any one say what about IT applicants?. Since Modl list is revoked how to find out what skill set in IT comes under CSL ? Hope some one can answer my query

Dhama
IT occupations are still there in CSL.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

No Aman,
Earlier what they said those occupations are in MODL FOR IT Which would be condisered as CSL. But Once MODL REVOKED are u sure that all IT skill sets are in CSL .I am still confused

Originally Posted by aman_sharma2k1
IT occupations are still there in CSL.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

aliah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nice

I applied for GSM VE 176(family sponsored) CSL+MODL on 6th January 2010
my point distribution at that time was 60(occupation)+30(age)+15(IELTS)+15(recent overseas work experience).
i was assigned a CO on 1st february 2010 and all documents status changed to MET but i didnt receive any call for PCC and meds so far
1-I think new point system puts a question mark against my eligibility based on recent overseas work exp.)
2-Family sponsored GSM with CSL and MODL is nowhere to be seen on new priority processing list???
am i screwed big time or what???
kindly help and suggest something???
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dhama
No Aman,
Earlier what they said those occupations are in MODL FOR IT Which would be condisered as CSL. But Once MODL REVOKED are u sure that all IT skill sets are in CSL .I am still confused
Check this: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653562

"Good Morning everyone,

Nice set of challenges to wake up to.

The critical points about the changes to General Skilled Migration are:

a) Current applicants who applied on or after 1 September 2007 aren't affected - their points and eligibility are locked in and in most cases their processing priority will remain the same until 30 June 2010 at least.

b) People who applied before 1 September 2007 are subject to "cap and kill" legislation, ie the Department is going to process a certain number (not yet announced as far as I know) and then terminate the rest, in which case all application fees paid to the Department of Immigration will be returned to those applicants (directly or through their agents).

c) Current onshore students will not be able to claim MODL points however they will benefit from a complex suite of measures designed to protect them (and the international student industry). The Department will announce the new skilled occupation list by 30 April 2010 (taking effect on 30 June 2010) and most graduates who have not yet applied for a general skilled migration visa will need to wait until then to determine which pathway they should pursue. The Department does not need to announce transitional measures for students whose visas are expiring on 15 March 2010 since those students are able to lodge a subclass 485 (temporary graduate) visa and then change their nominated occupation for their permanent visa application.

d) People planning to apply for General Skilled Migration as of 8 February should consult a migration agent - those who hold positive skills assessments but have not yet applied for their visas will be able to apply however should their nominated occupation not be on the new Skilled Occupation List then their application will most likely be refused.

e) The MODL is dead for new applicants - except for the continued operation of the Critical Skills List which will still give IT MODL skills priority until then.

f) There is still more information needed to clarify many of these points, in particular I would expect inputs from the Minister's speech later today, and also from the Migration Institute of Australia. In the meantime, the major links are all here: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...df/faq-sol.pdf .

Cheers,

George Lombard"
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aliah
I applied for GSM VE 176(family sponsored) CSL+MODL on 6th January 2010
my point distribution at that time was 60(occupation)+30(age)+15(IELTS)+15(recent overseas work experience).
i was assigned a CO on 1st february 2010 and all documents status changed to MET but i didnt receive any call for PCC and meds so far
1-I think new point system puts a question mark against my eligibility based on recent overseas work exp.)
2-Family sponsored GSM with CSL and MODL is nowhere to be seen on new priority processing list???
am i screwed big time or what???
kindly help and suggest something???

HI
I don't think your are affected as far as points and MODL are concerned However Priority processing may delay your case further. Biggest mistake you did that by not uploading your medicals and PCC Once case officer was allotted. It is better late than never. Hope you will get through quickly.

Cheers
Dhama

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.