Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Originally Posted by newjersey
It will be gone from there as well, and soon - the booklet still describes the old regulations. The immi website is already updated, but the booklets and forms are not yet.
Yes it will be gone soon, so i'm glad I could give a little bit of info for the person who supplied the quote below:

Hi,
Are you aware that the MODL is now not existing. I feel those applying for a GSM visa will be affected. Can anyone tell me the implications of MODL removal? What is MODL point system? How many points can get through MODL listing?
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

oliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to all
Default new SOL question...

Hi,

I have reviewed the Feb 08 changes listed in DIAC website. I am a bit confused about that new SOL thing that is to be introduced in April 2010. what if I apply within February 2010 and new SOL is introduced and came into affect by mid 2010. Will be application be considered against current SOL or the new SOL ?

Please comment on my this confusion.

Regards
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dropping the SOL/MODL?

Any views to this news?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/8503438.stm

Jen
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:24 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Sadly I personally know many students who are abusing the system, and they would probably make good Australians, however they have no interest and no ability to take the jobs that they are being admitted under.
Australia will still need skilled migrants in many areas, so I really wouldn’t give up hope yet.

But the days of rorting the system will come to an end.

I personally feel very sorry for those right now who feel let down, disappointed and worried about their migration hopes. Please don’t give up.....
Sadly slapphead otool is right on the mark here.

Over the past few years I have spoken to several overseas students here in Brisbane, mostly from India and South America. They were renting in my old apartment block in the city. They were all "studying" to be bakers, chefs and hairdressers.... and they all openly admitted that they weren't interested in the vocation, they were only interested in the visa. Some of them said that as soon as their residency was granted, they would fall back on their skills gained in their home countries and look for work in those industries, basically throwing away the qualifications they had just gained.

It is a shame, because this rorting of the system has resulted in lots of genuine applicants suffering, genuine applicants from all countries.

Clearly, dept of immigration have known about these issues for several years now.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dropping the SOL/MODL?

Check the sticky at the top of the page and also the huge thread in the Australia bit of the forum. been talked about all day.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

oliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to all
Default feb 08 MODL question

I am confused what is meant by "pending application for a GSM visa"

Recent MODL changes

From 8 February 2010 all MODL occupations are removed from the MODL. Therefore, all applicants who lodge an application on or after this date will not be eligible for the award of MODL points unless the applicant:

* holds a subclass 485 (Skilled-Graduate) visa or has applied for a subclass 485 (Skilled Graduate) visa and is yet to apply for a permanent or provisional General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa
or
* on 8 February 2010 had a pending application for a GSM visa.

what exactly is meant by pending application for GSM visa. I was in process of lodging online application (started on 7 feb ) and was half way done with the online visa application wizard (payment not done). Do I qualify as "pending application for a GSM visa" ?
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:27 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Huwaarix
Quotes from Chris EVANS who dreams a lot i guess.Majority of the international students are from ASIA.....they come to study not that they are rich .They come in hope to live a better life. So expect the impact of decreasing international students....therefore decreasing in teaching jobs and many more jobs at immigration aswell.

the changes in legislation won't have any impact on those students that come here to study, rich or not.

It will have an impact on those that come here with the pretense of studying.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Merged again
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:55 pm
Account Open

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225828052113
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: feb 08 MODL question

Originally Posted by oliman
I am confused what is meant by "pending application for a GSM visa"

what exactly is meant by pending application for GSM visa. I was in process of lodging online application (started on 7 feb ) and was half way done with the online visa application wizard (payment not done). Do I qualify as "pending application for a GSM visa" ?
Im sorry but if you have not submitted your application to DIAC or paid then NO you do not have an application pending
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

the headline from the link - "AUSTRALIA'S new immigration laws sparked panic among Indian students and parents yesterday as thousands of migrants sought clarity over their residency status." - makes it sound like these changes only affect students from India! Not a great slant to the story
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Alucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really nice

Originally Posted by shears
the headline from the link - "AUSTRALIA'S new immigration laws sparked panic among Indian students and parents yesterday as thousands of migrants sought clarity over their residency status." - makes it sound like these changes only affect students from India! Not a great slant to the story
Lol, yeah. I believe it's students of less-skilled professions that are panicking - and also those who were counting on the MODL points.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default what is meant by this phrase

hold a Skilled—Graduate (subclass 485) visa, or had
a pending subclass 485 visa application and had
not yet lodged an application for a provisional or
permanent GSM visa and who make an application
by 31 December 2012, or
• have a pending GSM visa application.
What exactly is meant by this phrase > "have a pending GSM visa application" ??

Can anybody precisely explain ?
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the headline on BBC world news was the best “Australia changes imigration policy over fear they have let too many Hairdressers into the country”

The pictures I had in my head. lol
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what is meant by this phrase

Originally Posted by oliman
What exactly is meant by this phrase > "have a pending GSM visa application" ??

Can anybody precisely explain ?
Pending = about to happen, it has not happened yet.

In this context it means you have an application lodged with DIAC but have yet to receive a decision on it. So it is for applications in the system.

I saw on another thread that you have not submitted your application yet, nor made payment, so the new changes of 8 Feb will apply to your case because you still have to submit your application.

I hope this clears it up for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.