Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:17 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration

More threads merged
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Originally Posted by winedonju
OK...I have been following this all day with that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach!
If anyone can help smooth things out for me...I'd very much appreciate it.....

We are here on the Sunny coast QLD on a 457 visa...we are 18 months into our 4 year visa....which means we cannot apply for PR for another 6 months (need to do 2 years work experience Oz style ) aaannnyways this will be AFTER the new sol list comes out........if OH's job is not on that list.....is that it for us....do we have to sell the house and take all 3 kids plus one dog back to blighty??????
OH is a flat glass tradesperson 4982-11 what are the chance of that going off the new SOL list???? answer on the back of a postcard please sent to the woman having an eppyfit on the Sunny coast cos her life has been turned upside down

Much appreciated for any help/info.

Donna.xx
My understanding is that an employer can provide permanent sponsorship if the occupation is one on the SOL / ENSOL and the applicant has skills assessment or the applicant has spent 2 years on a 457.

As your occupation is on the SOL at moment, there is in fact no reason why they could not have provided you with permanent employer sponsorship from the beginning and there is no reason for you to wait 2 years, unless of course there is some reason you would not pass skills assessment?

So perhaps you could ask them about permanent sponsorship now? Offer to pay perhaps.

Other than that, unless the 457 rules change as well, I would see no reason why they could not go down the sponsorship after two years rule as that doe snot depend upon the SOL. Of course they can change their mind about that and are under no obligation to provide permanent sponsorship, but that risk was always there of course.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Feb 8th 2010 at 8:22 am.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:19 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

My wife just made an interesting comment:

Nice timing on the announcement, just after College, TAFE and University enrolments. Now they start saying they might not award the points for the degree anyway. Lot of students here in Oz will be a bit piddled off tonight.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
My wife just made an interesting comment:

Nice timing on the announcement, just after College, TAFE and University enrolments. Now they start saying they might not award the points for the degree anyway. Lot of students here in Oz will be a bit piddled off tonight.
Which is right though.

Students coming to study should be here for that, study. Not use it as a back door into Permanent Residence.

If the student really wants to be a hairdresser, they’ll stay and continue with their course, if they were just doing it for the visa with no intention of actually doing it as a career once they have PR they will now drop the course and return home.

It’s great.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

aliah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nice
Default Re: suggestion for GSM 176(family sponsored)after new priority processing announcemen

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Quite. Aliah why do you even think you are effected? Have you actually read the announcements.

oh really???i am gaining consciousness now
pardon me but i cant see family sponsored 176 with CSL and MODL in that new priority processing list???
KIndly dont mind if its a stupid thing but plz answer???
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:38 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: suggestion for GSM 176(family sponsored)after new priority processing announcemen

Originally Posted by aliah
oh really???i am gaining consciousness now
pardon me but i cant see family sponsored 176 with CSL and MODL in that new priority processing list???
KIndly dont mind if its a stupid thing but plz answer???
It's not necessary to be rude. Bermudashorts was asking if you had read the announcement and why you think you are going to be affected.

Basically, are you on CSL? If so, then why would you think your application is affected?
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

aliah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nicealiah is just really nice

no no its perfectly fine.i am not being rude and ask your pardon if u felt so!!!
yes i am electronics engineer and am on CSL!!!applied under family sponsored 176!
i am so much thankful to u people,i was tensed initially!!!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

winedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to behold

My understanding is that an employer can provide permanent sponsorship if the occupation is one on the SOL / ENSOL and the applicant has skills assessment or the applicant has spent 2 years on a 457.

As your occupation is on the SOL at moment, there is in fact no reason why they could not have provided you with permanent employer sponsorship from the beginning and there is no reason for you to wait 2 years, unless of course there is some reason you would not pass skills assessment?

So perhaps you could ask them about permanent sponsorship now? Offer to pay perhaps.

Other than that, unless the 457 rules change as well, I would see no reason why they could not go down the sponsorship after two years rule as that doe snot depend upon the SOL. Of course they can change their mind about that and are under no obligation to provide permanent sponsorship, but that risk was always there of course.
Thank you so much for your reply.....OH has 25 years experience and no formal quals hence the 457 visa.

Have NO worries with the employer...OH has worked for him ever since we got out here 18 months ago...he sponsored us for the 457 and is happy to do the same for the ENS (PR)....so you say we can apply right now for the ENS???
my worry is that we have been told he has to have worked in AUSTRALIA for 2 years before he can apply?????

If his job goes OFF the sol....can we still apply for the ENS (assuming we DO have to wait the 2 years???) or does his job have to be on the list....which is what immi told me this morning when I rang in a panic...........we have just bought a house...and move in, in 2 weeks

Thanks again MUCH appreciated. xx
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Which is right though.

Students coming to study should be here for that, study. Not use it as a back door into Permanent Residence.

If the student really wants to be a hairdresser, they’ll stay and continue with their course, if they were just doing it for the visa with no intention of actually doing it as a career once they have PR they will now drop the course and return home.

It’s great.
It isn't and never has been a back door to PR. It is one of the most stressful, complicated and expensive routes to take.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your reply.....OH has 25 years experience and no formal quals hence the 457 visa.

Have NO worries with the employer...OH has worked for him ever since we got out here 18 months ago...he sponsored us for the 457 and is happy to do the same for the ENS (PR)....so you say we can apply right now for the ENS???
my worry is that we have been told he has to have worked in AUSTRALIA for 2 years before he can apply?????

If his job goes OFF the sol....can we still apply for the ENS (assuming we DO have to wait the 2 years???) or does his job have to be on the list....which is what immi told me this morning when I rang in a panic...........we have just bought a house...and move in, in 2 weeks

Thanks again MUCH appreciated. xx
You are mixing up two things, as many people do and it is a bit of a myth that one ALWAYS has to be with an employer for two years before permanent sponsorship is available.

If a job is on the SOL / ENSOL then employer sponsorship is available from the outset BUT the employee needs to get a positvie skills assessment just as if he / she were going for an independent skilled visa. If your husband can get a positive skills assessment then there is no reason why you could not have done this 18 months ago and have PR already. Or indeed you could do it now rather than wait another six months. I recommend you look into this, formal qualifications are not always mandatory.

If the position is not on the SOL or comes off the SOL then two years on the 457 is currently an alternative route to permanent employer sponsorship and was never dependent upon being on the SOL.

I still think I would be inclined to look into going for skills assessment / permanent employer sponsorship now though, because you can and just in case 457 rules change as well!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:16 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Which is right though.

It’s great.
That’s a fair comment, but given the general acceptance by both sides of the current situation, by which many people obtain Australian PR, it would have been fairer to announce the changes before they took the money.

I don’t condone or accept the practice of “buying PR” via education (which is what was happening), however I worked for a major university until recently and it was widely know, accepted and discussed at all levels. The incredible popularity of accounting could only be due to the additional points awarded for that career stream.

In addition, most of the students that I knew who graduated and obtained PR are now back in their country of origin. When i asked one why so many were female, and why they returned home I was openly told that Australia is the “bolt hole” in case of trouble at home (eg Tiananmen Square Mk2, or a repeat of the Indonesian Rioting on 1998. With one family member holding PR the rest of the family expected to gian access under the “close ties” logic.

The family usually chose girls as the boys were busy learning how to run the family business back home.

The above (gender and subject) was born out when i did some statistical analysis of our students.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

brutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant future

Does anyone know if there is an impact to those who were issued Skilled Migration visas (IT) pre 2007, have had them validated, but are currently not in Australia?
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by brutus
Does anyone know if there is an impact to those who were issued Skilled Migration visas (IT) pre 2007, have had them validated, but are currently not in Australia?
The changes announced yesterday effect future visa applications, certainly no effect on past visas issued.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

winedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to behold

You are mixing up two things, as many people do and it is a bit of a myth that one ALWAYS has to be with an employer for two years before permanent sponsorship is available.

If a job is on the SOL / ENSOL then employer sponsorship is available from the outset BUT the employee needs to get a positvie skills assessment just as if he / she were going for an independent skilled visa. If your husband can get a positive skills assessment then there is no reason why you could not have done this 18 months ago and have PR already. Or indeed you could do it now rather than wait another six months. I recommend you look into this, formal qualifications are not always mandatory.

If the position is not on the SOL or comes off the SOL then two years on the 457 is currently an alternative route to permanent employer sponsorship and was never dependent upon being on the SOL.

I still think I would be inclined to look into going for skills assessment / permanent employer sponsorship now though, because you can and just in case 457 rules change as well!
AGAIN...amny thanks....
You are right....I get confuzzled too easy!! lol
I am pretty sure that there is a reason why we can't get skills assessed, cos as you said we would have done that from the on set and been out on PR already! That said will be onto the tra FIRST thing in the morning just in case years served in trade are enough to get the skills assessment approved.

And again........I was defo under the wrong impression re. the sol list AFTER doing 2 years...I was under the impression (especially after ringing immi today) that even AFTER doing 2 years on a 457 that the job was STILL needed to be on the sol list.
So that has set my mind at rest a LITTLE..........won't be happy till we have that PR though.

MUCH appreciated Bermudashorts
Donna.xx
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

OK...I have been following this all day with that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach!
If anyone can help smooth things out for me...I'd very much appreciate it.....

We are here on the Sunny coast QLD on a 457 visa...we are 18 months into our 4 year visa....which means we cannot apply for PR for another 6 months (need to do 2 years work experience Oz style ) aaannnyways this will be AFTER the new sol list comes out........if OH's job is not on that list.....is that it for us....do we have to sell the house and take all 3 kids plus one dog back to blighty??????
OH is a flat glass tradesperson 4982-11 what are the chance of that going off the new SOL list???? answer on the back of a postcard please sent to the woman having an eppyfit on the Sunny coast cos her life has been turned upside down

Much appreciated for any help/info.

Donna.xx
I wouldnt worry too much .The golden rule is if you are living in Oz and paying taxes the chances of being kicked out r pretty slim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.