Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

believer will become famous soon enoughbeliever will become famous soon enough
Default Re: new SOL question...

Originally Posted by oliman
Hi,

I have reviewed the Feb 08 changes listed in DIAC website. I am a bit confused about that new SOL thing that is to be introduced in April 2010. what if I apply within February 2010 and new SOL is introduced and came into affect by mid 2010. Will be application be considered against current SOL or the new SOL ?

Please comment on my this confusion.

Regards
R u in Australia? Have you got 485 yet?
The new SOL called Skills Australia takes effect to applications after mid 2010.i think it would be ok still if u apply before that date.

Last edited by believer; Feb 8th 2010 at 1:51 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for GSM before April 30

Originally Posted by salibcn
Hi, I'm quite confused by the wording on DIAC's website regarding exactly what will happen if I apply for the GSM 175 visa before April 2010. I have a positive skills assessment from the ACS and was planning to submit my PR application in the next few weeks. I have 120 points but I am not on the CSL/MODL - only the SOL (Though these don't seem to matter now) and was happy to wait for the 3 years or as long as it takes for the application to be processed....

On the faq-gsmchanges.pdf it quotes:

Q 12 If I apply for a GSM visa in April 2010, will I be subject to the new SOL?

No, as the new SOL does not commence until mid-2010.

So, does this mean that if I submit my application in the next week or two, I will still be governed by the 120 min points, SOL etc that there is currently?

Any clarification would be appreciated. I just don't want to wait until April when they bring out the new SOL and find out my skill is not n there and that I could have successfully applied before......

Thanks in advance!
How is "No you will not be subject to the new SOL" confusing?

Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

believer will become famous soon enoughbeliever will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by salibcn
Hi, I'm quite confused by the wording on DIAC's website regarding exactly what will happen if I apply for the GSM 175 visa before April 2010. I have a positive skills assessment from the ACS and was planning to submit my PR application in the next few weeks. I have 120 points but I am not on the CSL/MODL - only the SOL (Though these don't seem to matter now) and was happy to wait for the 3 years or as long as it takes for the application to be processed....

On the faq-gsmchanges.pdf it quotes:

Q 12 If I apply for a GSM visa in April 2010, will I be subject to the new SOL?

No, as the new SOL does not commence until mid-2010.

So, does this mean that if I submit my application in the next week or two, I will still be governed by the 120 min points, SOL etc that there is currently?

Any clarification would be appreciated. I just don't want to wait until April when they bring out the new SOL and find out my skill is not n there and that I could have successfully applied before......

Thanks in advance!
It's clear-cut. Ur occupation would be still ok if u apply by mid-2010 but The government is still unsure about any changes toward to the point test which is another fundamental issue to look into.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

soniajn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Thank you Amanda. That information was helpful.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

K Srikanth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Agents and members

I have a doubt regarding processing of 176 SS applications...If any of you clarify the same i will be very much thankful to you..

Is the processing of 176 SS applications whose Case Officer allotted prior to 23rd Sep 2009(3500 cases Processing under minister directions) and requested Meds& Pcc is continue to be processed.......or the new processing priorities effect the processing of those applications.....

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:43 pm
Moving to Aus Nov 2013

salibcn is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry if I sounded stupid, but I'm reading a number of different things - even though it says that particular answer for that question. I also read the post by George Lombard which said:

"d) People planning to apply for General Skilled Migration as of 8 February should consult a migration agent - those who hold positive skills assessments but have not yet applied for their visas will be able to apply however should their nominated occupation not be on the new Skilled Occupation List then their application will most likely be refused."

I have 120 points presently and just don't know whether I should wait until the new SOL etc is announced or just apply now - I don't want to lose the application money if I'm misunderstandng things and my application becomes void......
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:09 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new SOL question...

Read the sticky by George Lombard, specifically part d).
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:36 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

finally the department of immigration is doing something good for the country
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of
Default What happens if your occupation is removed?

Hi

Hubby's occupation is currently on the CSL (Accountant) but we don't plan to apply for a visa until after our reccie in April. If we apply for a visa in April and they subsequently remove Accountants from the CSL in June does this mean that a refund will be given or do we just lose out as we don't have enough points? I understand the new thing is the SOL and replaces the CSL.

Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MrsE, as I remember you were planning on quite a long reccie around March time? As you don't want to apply before then, I think you might as well wait until 30 April to see what happens. I don't know that accountants would be taken off, but it does sometimes get referred to as one of those occupations that opens the system to abuse (even tho that is only because skills assessment is too easy), so you never know.

Have you checked your points, you will have lost 15 for MODL so need to see if you still qualify without state sponsorship.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

thulo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I've just reviewed the changes in the General Skilled Migration visa. From what I've read, the CSL path will still be valid until at least the middle of this year. If my visa (under the current CSL points system) is not fully processed by then, would DIAC still be basing my application on the CSL list or the new SOL list which they come up with?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

nan4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

I did apply for online 175 on 3rd Feb 2010 with CSL , MODL, 457 ( 3 years of EXP with N/w SEC AUS EXP ). Got ACK on 3rd FEB.

Uploaded all scanned colour copies on the same night. Waiting CO to be allocated now.

I hope my current CSL / MODL will not be changed or may be changed later mid 2010. Don't know. but i did manage to get my application before 8th of feb.

I think everything is unpredicatible.

regards
nan4
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

qamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really nice

Originally Posted by nan4
Hi Guys,

I did apply for online 175 on 3rd Feb 2010 with CSL , MODL, 457 ( 3 years of EXP with N/w SEC AUS EXP ). Got ACK on 3rd FEB.

Uploaded all scanned colour copies on the same night. Waiting CO to be allocated now.

I hope my current CSL / MODL will not be changed or may be changed later mid 2010. Don't know. but i did manage to get my application before 8th of feb.

I think everything is unpredicatible.

regards
nan4
you are fine, you did lodged it before 8th Feb 09
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

fahadkhan389 will become famous soon enoughfahadkhan389 will become famous soon enough
Default Will i be affected with Feb 8 2010 changes??

I applied GSM 176 non CSL but State sponsored as software Designer 2231-15...Will i be affected with Feb 8 changes?? Fortunately i applied 1 day before those changes occurred and i also hope my occupation will also be included in new SOL.plz comments
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Hi Bermudashorts

Yes, we go for a 5 week reccie mid march - not long now - yippee! I'm hoping accountants aren't taken off If they are I'm assuming we still get the 60 points for him being an accountant? That will take us down to 105 points. Hubby does have an aunt and uncle out there so we could get sponsorship I guess so we would only need 100 points. I know we could also get more points if he did an IELTS test - not sure how many points though.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Hi MrsE, as I remember you were planning on quite a long reccie around March time? As you don't want to apply before then, I think you might as well wait until 30 April to see what happens. I don't know that accountants would be taken off, but it does sometimes get referred to as one of those occupations that opens the system to abuse (even tho that is only because skills assessment is too easy), so you never know.

Have you checked your points, you will have lost 15 for MODL so need to see if you still qualify without state sponsorship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.