Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Old Apr 16th 2013, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Originally Posted by scrudu
So my parents applied for a CPV143 visa about 2 years ago as 5 of their 6 kids are living in Oz now. They've just been assigned a CO who wants their medicals/police checks in the next 28 days which is stressing them out no end (no idea why their UK agent didn't warn them it'd happen like this!!). They're having a bit of a panic about the thoughts of having to pay out the $90K so soon, and are having a case of seriously cold feet.

I know it's usually the other way around, but is it possible at this stage to convert their application from a 143 to a 173 so they could delay the payment of the $90k and take a year or two living here to decide if they want to stay? Any advice would be appreciated.
28 days is the norm that the CO gives for formalities to be completed. If they need more time they can ask for it and aslong as they keep their CO informed that progress being made, it should not be a problem. We had a problem getting medicals booked within the allotted time but kept our CO informed of the date of the medicals.

With regard to the 173, they will have to cancel the 143 and then apply again for the 173.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

scrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nice
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
28 days is the norm that the CO gives for formalities to be completed. If they need more time they can ask for it and aslong as they keep their CO informed that progress being made, it should not be a problem. We had a problem getting medicals booked within the allotted time but kept our CO informed of the date of the medicals.

With regard to the 173, they will have to cancel the 143 and then apply again for the 173.
Cheers for that DaveandLinda! The have progressed with getting their documentation ready for the Immigration and should have some of it complete before the 28 days. I've asked them to keep their CO up to date so they know that they've taken action on all the items.

I have another question if anyone knows the answer - On our 175 "permanent visas" I understand that the visa may become invalid if you spend extended times abroad, so you need to apply for a RRV once the 5 years expires.

Are there any similar residency requirements for the 143 visa? My parents don't seem ready to move yet I can't really blame them - it's a very tough decision and committing $100,000 is quite a commitment for them. Their agent advised them that they should apply for it sooner rather than later as they may not satisfy the health requirements if they are older. I think that's the main reason they applied now, rather than in a few years time when they may want to move permanently. Anyway, if they activated their visas, and then just visited for approx 3 months a year for the next number of years, would they be able to move permanently in say 7-10 years time, or would there be any issues with residency?

At this stage I'm trying to work out if it would be better for them to withdraw their application, and apply when they feel ready to move (most likely if one of them dies or is in poor health ), or whether they should continue with the application, and then move permanently in a few years time when they feel they want to move. I don't fully understand what the health implications for the Parental visas are - I can't imagine that they would vet aged parents by the same criteria that we were vetted for our 175's?!
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:54 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

* Remember that the 2nd Visa Application Charges for the CP visas increase by several $'000 every 1st of July - per visa applicant. While I know the A$-GBP exchange rate is poor presently in historical terms it may nevertheless be worthwhile financially continuing with the existing application.

* The same 5 year validity period applies to a subclass 143 visa as to a general skilled visa. Therefore after this period has elapsed a Resident Return visa application would need to be lodged for what amounts to an extension of the 143 visa. See the details here for Res Return visa info:
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/155/

Best regards.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

scrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
* Remember that the 2nd Visa Application Charges for the CP visas increase by several $'000 every 1st of July - per visa applicant. While I know the A$-GBP exchange rate is poor presently in historical terms it may nevertheless be worthwhile financially continuing with the existing application.
Excellent point Alan and one we hadn't considered before now. I had a look at the fees from the last 8 years, and since 2005 they have increased by $14,410 !!!

* The same 5 year validity period applies to a subclass 143 visa as to a general skilled visa. Therefore after this period has elapsed a Resident Return visa application would need to be lodged for what amounts to an extension of the 143 visa. See the details here for Res Return visa info:
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/155/
Dang, that was exactly what I feared OK, so realistically they'd need to spend at least 2 out of the next 5 years living here to qualify for another 5 year RRV, otherwise they'd only get a 1 year RRV which is far from ideal.

Thank you again Alan so very much. I really appreciate your promptness replying and the clear infomation. It's a super stressful time for us all - and I'm feeling huge pangs of guilt that they're considering uprooting themselves because all their kids have moved over here
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

have you thought of withdrawing then & starting again with the 103/804 (depends on age) longer-wait/lower cost visa? If they were not credited with the visa fee they have already paid,at least they would only lose a minimal amount & not have to pay out the further $90k when they're not sure they even want to go permanently? Is this feasible?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by campervanfan
have you thought of withdrawing then & starting again with the 103/804 (depends on age) longer-wait/lower cost visa? If they were not credited with the visa fee they have already paid,at least they would only lose a minimal amount & not have to pay out the further $90k when they're not sure they even want to go permanently? Is this feasible?
My parents are 65, so waiting 15+ years for the 103/804 visa would put them at 80, so I don't really think it's a viable option. My father has just retired, and they are now enjoying their first years of early retirement including the ability to travel easily/cheaply in Europe. I imagine that in a number of years (not sure how many), they'll travel less and be more open to moving to Australia.

In hindsight I feel they shouldn't have applied until they were sure they were ready for the commitment. I think they were missing their kids a lot at the time they applied as their last child had just emigrated.

I guess I'll find out what they've decided over the next week or two if their health checks come back ok and their CO gives them their "pre-grant".
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:43 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought - since your parents have so many adult children already living here, and as they seem to have a bit of disposable income, could they just 'commute' between the UK and Australia on tourist visas? With all those kids here accommodation shouldn't be a problem and although airfares aren't peanuts, they're a drop in the ocean when you consider visa fees.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scrudu
My parents are 65, so waiting 15+ years for the 103/804 visa would put them at 80, so I don't really think it's a viable option. My father has just retired, and they are now enjoying their first years of early retirement including the ability to travel easily/cheaply in Europe. I imagine that in a number of years (not sure how many), they'll travel less and be more open to moving to Australia.

In hindsight I feel they shouldn't have applied until they were sure they were ready for the commitment. I think they were missing their kids a lot at the time they applied as their last child had just emigrated.

I guess I'll find out what they've decided over the next week or two if their health checks come back ok and their CO gives them their "pre-grant".
We applied for the 103 initially, just to kick off the waiting time. When we were ready we applied for the 173 and the time spent waiting on the 103 was taken into account, so we got our visa quicker.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

& wasn't the latest waiting time estimate nearer 8 years than 15? I'm sure I've seen that somewhere....which with the new tourist visa times might work better?
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by campervanfan
& wasn't the latest waiting time estimate nearer 8 years than 15? I'm sure I've seen that somewhere....which with the new tourist visa times might work better?
I think 8 years was for the 804 Aged Parent Visa, which can be applied for onshore. However, this is risky as you have no Medicare cover, only the receiprocal agreement if it applies. Also if you fail the medical after the long 8 year wait the visa will not be granted. The waiting time for the 103 is still around 15 years I believe.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice

Hi all. My parents applied for a 143 class Parent Visa in April last year and they are expecting to have a case office appointed in the next few months.

However my mother has recently been diagnosed with cancer. It's been caught early, and she is having reduction treatment, prior to a lump being removed in September. She will then have radiotherapy and chemotherapy over the following 12 months to prevent it returning. Fingers are all crossed and we're expecting a full recovery.

Does anyone know how this will affect her visa application? She hasn't had her medical yet as her agent had previously advised her not to until being given a case officer.

My mother will complete her treatment in the UK and has no intention on imposing her treatment costs on the Australian tax payer. Clearly there is a risk she will need follow up checks in Australia and would cover that via private health insurance.

Any thoughts / experiences are welcomed.

Thanks. GG.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 2:40 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Green Grass. My best wishes for your mother's treatment and recovery.

Can I say (at the risk of stating the obvious) that her well being should be at the forefront of your mind. Your parents migrating to Australia is now of secondary importance.

Regarding the visa application: yes, this is likely to be a material issue. If your parents have an agent assisting them I recommend that they discuss the situation with him/her.

Best regards.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice

Hello Green Grass. My best wishes for your mother's treatment and recovery.

Can I say (at the risk of stating the obvious) that her well being should be at the forefront of your mind. Your parents migrating to Australia is now of secondary importance.

Regarding the visa application: yes, this is likely to be a material issue. If your parents have an agent assisting them I recommend that they discuss the situation with him/her.

Best regards.
Hi Alan, thank you for your kind wishes and advice.

My mother has an agent based in Perth and is trying to speak to him. Since my post, her case officer has been appointed and is seeking documentation.

My mother is quite upset just now, but not because of the illness which she feels certain she will beat, but because of the timing of her diagnosis. You see, living out the rest of her life in Australia, where 2 of her sons live, is of primary importance to her. She knows that had she been diagnosed in 6 months time, and not a few weeks ago, she would be here and her dream would have come through.

Her survival is of primary importance to me, but because of her own certainty, her primary focus remains to have her visa granted.

Many thanks

Regards
GG
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:52 am
Migration Agent

Hello again GG.

As you are in Perth if you want a second opinion I'd speak with Tony Coates, who works with Steve O'Neil:
http://www.iscah.com/Contact_files/Page385.htm

Assuming they're not being used already, of course!

Best regards.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Hello again GG.

As you are in Perth if you want a second opinion I'd speak with Tony Coates, who works with Steve O'Neil:
http://www.iscah.com/Contact_files/Page385.htm

Assuming they're not being used already, of course!

Best regards.
Thanks Alan. It is Iscah who are already engaged.

Kind regards
GG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.