business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Originally Posted by midlife crisis
Hi Nicola

I am already in Australia, we came out to the Sunshine Coast 4 weeks ago. We are on a 163 sponsored business visa. My husband is planning to get into an insurance business out here. I have to say that it is harder than we originally had thought and the Aussie way of business is not the same as ours.

We have been let down a few times already, so we have decided to take things slowly and probably both work for a while before we commit any money into a new venture.What we have learnt already is that its not what you know but who you know. So hopefully by working for someone in the business we will get to know lots of people and be able to 'network'.

Apart from that, we love the lifestyle and the weather is great!.My kids have settled in really well and are already saying they don't want to go back to England.

What business are you in?

Good luck with your plans.

Best wishes

Sheila
HI Sheila

Congrats on your new life and getting settled. I work in catering and Nathan sells pallets and diesel. Its not something we want to do over there though.
We are going to buy something that already has the turnover and staff in place to meet the requirements to gain a permanent visa. Like yourselves when we get there we really want to stay. As we want to take our time getting the lay of the land etc. We will probably buy a restuarant/ coffee shop or a convinience store maybe with a petol station. Its not what we want to do but it does take time to kind of work out what will work and what wont, like you said in your email.

Do you mind clarifying how you have been let down? Only as we dont want to make the same mistake. Have you been in touch with Coastal Business Brokers they are sunshine coast based and seem to have loads for sale or did you want to start up your own.

YOU can PM me if you like too. I have recieved loads of pointers from other people on business visas and will happily pass it on if you like. How long did it take to get your visa and how long have you been there? How old are your kids and how have you found the schooling. Sorry so many questions...

best wishes

NIcola

xx
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

BM615 will become famous soon enoughBM615 will become famous soon enough

just a quick note to say we may have, at last after 4 weeks of searching, found a suitable house.

We put an offer in yesterday, and with a bit of luck should be in for christmas.

On thing we can say, having popped to the bank for a bit of backup - we were granted a mortgage facility in less than 30 minutes.

cheers

Bryan
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

midlife crisis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nicola411
HI Sheila

Congrats on your new life and getting settled. I work in catering and Nathan sells pallets and diesel. Its not something we want to do over there though.
We are going to buy something that already has the turnover and staff in place to meet the requirements to gain a permanent visa. Like yourselves when we get there we really want to stay. As we want to take our time getting the lay of the land etc. We will probably buy a restuarant/ coffee shop or a convinience store maybe with a petol station. Its not what we want to do but it does take time to kind of work out what will work and what wont, like you said in your email.

Do you mind clarifying how you have been let down? Only as we dont want to make the same mistake. Have you been in touch with Coastal Business Brokers they are sunshine coast based and seem to have loads for sale or did you want to start up your own.

YOU can PM me if you like too. I have recieved loads of pointers from other people on business visas and will happily pass it on if you like. How long did it take to get your visa and how long have you been there? How old are your kids and how have you found the schooling. Sorry so many questions...

best wishes

NIcola

xx
Hi Nicola

We have been let down in the respect that my husband has been in discussion with several aussies that are so keen to do business with him, then when it come down to the final commitment you don't hear from them.

With regard to the business brokers we wouldn't touch them. From our own experience and from what we have been told , often the business's they are selling have inflated books and they are selling them for really high prices. Since we have been here we have been told quite a few horror stories of brits buying business's only to find its not what they had been led to believe and they had lost loads of money.

I know its scare mongering and I'm sure that there are reputable brokers out there, but I do feel that when they see us Brits coming over with money to invest, its fairly easy to take advantage. That why we are going to take our time and not make any mistakes.

We got our visa in August after we put in the application to DIMIA in May.My kids are 6,11 and 14.They have all settled in well and we have been very impressed with the schools.Its just the work situation that is a bit depressing.

You may like to look at my previous posts and you will get some further information of our situation.

Best wishes

sheila

PS Well done Brian and finding your new home. It will be great to get in for Christmas.Hope it all goes through smoothly
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Hi,
Totally agree, you have to watch it here... business brokers by and large are sharks and yes aussies are stand-offish in business.
Take time and look long and hard before jumping in... once you get going in business the opportunites are obvious. Same language but a very different place.
Good luck!
Steve
Hi Nicola

We have been let down in the respect that my husband has been in discussion with several aussies that are so keen to do business with him, then when it come down to the final commitment you don't hear from them.

With regard to the business brokers we wouldn't touch them. From our own experience and from what we have been told , often the business's they are selling have inflated books and they are selling them for really high prices. Since we have been here we have been told quite a few horror stories of brits buying business's only to find its not what they had been led to believe and they had lost loads of money.

I know its scare mongering and I'm sure that there are reputable brokers out there, but I do feel that when they see us Brits coming over with money to invest, its fairly easy to take advantage. That why we are going to take our time and not make any mistakes.

We got our visa in August after we put in the application to DIMIA in May.My kids are 6,11 and 14.They have all settled in well and we have been very impressed with the schools.Its just the work situation that is a bit depressing.

You may like to look at my previous posts and you will get some further information of our situation.

Best wishes

sheila

PS Well done Brian and finding your new home. It will be great to get in for Christmas.Hope it all goes through smoothly
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:23 am
Aussie Citizen

Location: Iz Tralia (as said by my 3-yr-old son)... and LOVING it..!!
Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Vallies
Hey, you bet!!! Sounds like the perfect day for a flight and a party!!! We will do our very best to join you guys!!!

Whoever gets there first, puts the :beers: in the fridge, the shrimps on the barbie and waxes the surf boards!!! lol!

Nicola
x
Well, Boys and Girls...
The deed is done...

We've finally booked our flights...!!!

This is the Rogue household tonight--->

Sooo... we booked eight tickets: 4 Rogues and 4 Vallies...
You guys weren't kidding were you..??
You know I don't kid around with something this important..!!

Have a good night (or morning to those of you already down-under)

Rogue x
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:27 am
Aussie Citizen

Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pasha
.....So - if all goes according to plan - we're hoping to be in Perth by March!!! How exciting!!! These last few months will be a complete whirl-wind!!!!
Awesome news Pash..!!
We're sooo excited for you guys.

We'll have the on ice waiting for you.

Take care,
Craig x
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:32 am
Aussie Citizen

We have spent another weekend lazing on the beach and surfing.The weather was much better than forcasted and the sun shone and was really hot.The surf was great and the boys had a great time in the water.
Sheila... you're killing us here..!!
We're dealing with minus 2-3 degrees most nights at the moment

Keep posting - we love it really..!!

RT x
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:35 am
Aussie Citizen

Originally Posted by Bengyboo
I was under the illusion that Mrs BB couldn't work on our 163 visa, but after your post, I have checked the paperwork and yes she can!!!......She is really happy, as I am looking through the job pages for her tonight!!! Is there such a thing as "Hooters Bar" in Oz??
What a great idea BB...!!!

As I understand it, Mrs Rogue can work without restriction, but I have to go surfing every day for the first three months... if my memory serves me correctly..!!

Rogue.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:37 am
Aussie Citizen

We just got a 4x4 too so we can go on the beaches here. We haven't done it yet, but looks great fun.
Hey Sheila...

You live a stone's throw from the biggest sand-island in the world... get yourselves down there...!!!
http://www.safari4wdhire.com.au/fraser_info.php
http://www.safari4wdhire.com.au/4wdriving.php

RTx
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:00 am
Aussie Citizen

HI there,

WE are going on a 136 non sponsored business skills visa. We have recieved our acknowledgement letter on the 28th of October and it states if there are no probs we will recieve our visa in 36 weeks.

OUr agent told us we should have our case officer in around 4 months which puts that around october time.
G'day Nicola... welcome.

I'm guessing here... are you applying for the 160 business owner visa? I figured that the '136' you mentioned refers to form 1136 - the business skills profile form for business owners..?? Please excuse my obsession with the details, but as the others will confirm, details is what i do..!!

I'll venture an advance on BB's bid of 11 weeks: I reckon 9 if you front-load PCCs and meds.
Ours was 41 days from receipt of application to grant of visa (including 2 weeks of additional medical enquiries)..!! But that's not normal - they needed to process us quickly to stop me obsessing and get me off their backs..!!

Good luck with everything.
Rogue.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:13 am
Aussie Citizen

Originally Posted by BM615
just a quick note to say we may have, at last after 4 weeks of searching, found a suitable house.

We put an offer in yesterday, and with a bit of luck should be in for christmas.

On thing we can say, having popped to the bank for a bit of backup - we were granted a mortgage facility in less than 30 minutes.

cheers

Bryan
Great news Bryan... Congrats..!!
Where did you decide to settle in the end?

Hope it all goes smoothly.
Rogue.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:16 am
Aussie Citizen

......I have recieved loads of pointers from other people on business visas and will happily pass it on if you like....

best wishes

NIcola

xx
Hey Nicola...

Don't be shy... if you've got some pointers for us, there's twenty-odd keen people on here who will be glad to hear your tips and advice.

C'mon... spill the beans..!!

RT.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

midlife crisis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rogue Trader
Well, Boys and Girls...
The deed is done...

We've finally booked our flights...!!!

Rogue x
Hi Rogue

Glad to hear you've sorted out your flights. Not long now and you soon be making everyone jealous with your posts of your new life 'down under'

Enjoy your last few months in blighty! Its amazing what you will miss when you get out here.

Another beautiful day here, blue skies and temps in the high 20's. Perfect for me.I'm sitting here in my bedroom overlooking the canal watching the boats go by. It really is lovely....

Have a good day

Love

Sheilax
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

BM615 will become famous soon enoughBM615 will become famous soon enough

Great news Bryan... Congrats..!!
Where did you decide to settle in the end?

Hope it all goes smoothly.
Rogue.
well, if the offer goes through, we'll be in the new bit of Mt Claremont.

But things don't generally work the way you want them to in property here - we have looked in so many areas - two or three nights a week, all day saturdays and sundays - drives you mad - so we really do need this one to go through.

well done on booking your flights - have you decided where you want to live yet? have you booked accomodation for your arrival yet?

bryan
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Nicola...

Don't be shy... if you've got some pointers for us, there's twenty-odd keen people on here who will be glad to hear your tips and advice.

C'mon... spill the beans..!!

RT.
Hey Nick Leeson lol

No I just meant all the usual stuff for example make sure you check all the facts and figures with a recommended solicitor and accountant and remember the most expensive is not always the best. Apparently people see us coming in with a buisness visa and assume we have money and set about taking it off us in all sorts of ways. Eg pensions healthcare etc. You dont need private healthcare on a temp visa if your from the UK due to the reciprocal agreement. I have checked with medicare both in Perth and Queensland. Always negotiate if purchasing a buisness as generally Aussies love to knock money off things.

You can buy an old house as long as you have 12months left on your temp visa you do need firb approval but this generally only takes 24hours.
Also you can then rent this property out after you get your perm residency it is only while you are a temp resident you have to live in a second hand property. With regards to mortgadges you have to put down a 20% deposit whereas perm residents only need a 10% deposit. You can buy buy to lets but they need to be brand new properties.

Schooling fees are exactly the same as perm residents. I cant think of anything else but do post some more if you can think of any.

NIcola

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.