Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jul 17th 2014, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Mary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Congrats to all those who have recently got their PRs. I'm curious though, if any of the outstanding October/November applications have sent in case specific emails and had any responses or are you all waiting until Oct/Nov time, when you will actually be over the processing time ?
Old Jul 17th 2014, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Fruit Juice is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

I am new here but have been looming the last few days and noticed that there seems to be a lot of activity in applications going into process or decisions made. Upon checking your spreadsheet I notice that a lot of these seem to be after we submitted ours.

Application received 09/12/2013
Medicals Received
Spousal Sponsorship Approved 09/01/2014
Married
From Belfast

I have had my local MP contact CIC and they just got the generic response that our case was awaiting review. This seems to be the response I have been receiving too. Is there anything else I can do?

My house is sold (subject to contract), the buyers are working with me on a completion date but I would imagine they won't hang around forever! I have been applying for jobs in London, Ontario and my son is due to start school in September I hate this 'not knowing'

Fruit Juice
Old Jul 17th 2014, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Mary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fruit Juice
Hi All

I am new here but have been looming the last few days and noticed that there seems to be a lot of activity in applications going into process or decisions made. Upon checking your spreadsheet I notice that a lot of these seem to be after we submitted ours.

Medicals Received
Married
From Belfast

I have had my local MP contact CIC and they just got the generic response that our case was awaiting review. This seems to be the response I have been receiving too. Is there anything else I can do?

My house is sold (subject to contract), the buyers are working with me on a completion date but I would imagine they won't hang around forever! I have been applying for jobs in London, Ontario and my son is due to start school in September I hate this 'not knowing'

Fruit Juice
I hear you Fruit Juice ! I'm an outstanding November application but we are leaving as planned on 1st Aug anyway, so kids can start school Sept, with me as dual intent visitor. I am going to send in a change of address case specific email next week. I may as well ask if they need anything else from me. I'll post on here if I get anything other than the generic response reply. Incredibly frustrating when you see all these later applications going through and don't know why yours is still hanging around. Don't want to rain on anybody's parade though - very happy for all those who have recently got their PRs
Old Jul 17th 2014, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

megarhandi is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also an outstanding November application. A few weeks ago they requested new passport pictures. Not sure what that means but maybe just maybe they're starting to look at our application.....
Old Jul 17th 2014, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Medicals Received
Married
From Belfast

Fruit Juice
We have got my husband's COPR now, but had planned to move in August anyway, with him entering under dual intent if it hadn't arrived by then. We wanted our son to be able to start school in September over there. Hopefully it won't be too much longer, but if you can do that, then it's well worth investigating. At least then you could start making concrete plans, especially with your house sold?
Old Jul 17th 2014, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks for the replies. It is so frustrating waiting!

I had looked into dual intent but as far as I can see that means I can't ship my goods with me. Am I right in this conclusion? It's hard to know what to do for the best.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by megarhandi
I'm also an outstanding November application. A few weeks ago they requested new passport pictures. Not sure what that means but maybe just maybe they're starting to look at our application.....
Old Jul 17th 2014, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

I had looked into dual intent but as far as I can see that means I can't ship my goods with me. Am I right in this conclusion? It's hard to know what to do for the best.
If your other half (the Canadian sponsor ) is going with you, you just put the shipment in their name
Old Jul 17th 2014, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mary louise
If your other half (the Canadian sponsor ) is going with you, you just put the shipment in their name
My sponsor is already in Canada and very impatiently waiting, like me! Technology is fantastic but....well it's not the same
Old Jul 17th 2014, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

My sponsor is already in Canada and very impatiently waiting, like me! Technology is fantastic but....well it's not the same
..not sure, in that case, but one of the more knowledgeable ones can probably give you some advice when they pop up later. Have a search in the threads to see if its come up before
Old Jul 17th 2014, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

mrpsv is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a November applicant too, same old emails from CIC.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 12:39 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Fruit Juice - it might be worth paying for some storage with your shipping company, and sending the shipment over once you have your COPR though. Not sure if that's feasible for you to be in Canada without your shipment, but then again you could always pay for an extra bag to take some stuff across. Worst case, your son can head over in August so that he can still start school in September. I suspect you will find it pretty tough to apply for jobs before you have your COPR through, but you may have more luck if you are there in person. (I assume you have read the job hunting section of the wiki... applying online from overseas is probably not particularly worth your effort.)

Hopefully you hear soon. When did you have your MP chase up? You can always try sending a case-specific email and see if that jump-starts it. You are only just over the average processing time, so hopefully it's not too far away now.

In the meantime I've added you to the spreadsheet. I always like having more data on there, so thanks!
Old Jul 17th 2014, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that if you ship goods in your name, you won't be able to clear them through customs until you have landed and activated your PR.

We organised our shipment in my name (I'm the Canadian) just in case. I don't know how easy it would be for your sponsor to organise a shipment in their name from there if already in Canada, or whether the window for doing that has passed (but a shipping company might be able to help you with answering that).

But storage is definitely worth looking into if you can manage without all your stuff for a while. Our shipping fee includes 8 weeks storage in the UK, and isn't going to break the bank if we need to extend that (which we probably will, just due to logistics - we moved out of our house in the UK at the end of June, fly out to Canada on 5th Aug and need time to buy a house before our stuff arrives).

This all assumes that you have somewhere you can stay without your stuff for a while. But if you assumed 8 weeks storage in the UK, plus the actual shipping time once you give the company the go-ahead to ship, that is probably around 12 weeks altogether, giving you extra time to get COPR in hand before you actually have to clear stuff through customs.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 2:05 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
My understanding is that if you ship goods in your name, you won't be able to clear them through customs until you have landed and activated your PR.

We organised our shipment in my name (I'm the Canadian) just in case. I don't know how easy it would be for your sponsor to organise a shipment in their name from there if already in Canada, or whether the window for doing that has passed (but a shipping company might be able to help you with answering that).

But storage is definitely worth looking into if you can manage without all your stuff for a while. Our shipping fee includes 8 weeks storage in the UK, and isn't going to break the bank if we need to extend that (which we probably will, just due to logistics - we moved out of our house in the UK at the end of June, fly out to Canada on 5th Aug and need time to buy a house before our stuff arrives).

This all assumes that you have somewhere you can stay without your stuff for a while. But if you assumed 8 weeks storage in the UK, plus the actual shipping time once you give the company the go-ahead to ship, that is probably around 12 weeks altogether, giving you extra time to get COPR in hand before you actually have to clear stuff through customs.
The husband (the Canadian) would have had to have filled out a Goods to Follow form when he landed in Canada as a returning resident. Now that he's already a resident the door has closed on that one.

Best bet is going to be to pay for storage, either in the UK or in Canada. Once OP has landed with her Goods to Follow form, she can take that to customs in Canada to have the shipment released without paying any duties on it.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
The husband (the Canadian) would have had to have filled out a Goods to Follow form when he landed in Canada as a returning resident. Now that he's already a resident the door has closed on that one.

Best bet is going to be to pay for storage, either in the UK or in Canada. Once OP has landed with her Goods to Follow form, she can take that to customs in Canada to have the shipment released without paying any duties on it.
Thanks for this information! I hadn't thought about the shipping company doing storage. This is something that I can look into.

My MP put in a case specific enquiry 3 weeks ago, with the generic response. I sent a case specific enquiry last week and got a confirmation response the next day but as yet haven't heard anything else.

With the latest flurry of activity I have developed OCD again, checking my emails and ECAS!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.