Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Wikiposts

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Aug 11th 2013, 4:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Anyone care to summarise the last 411 pages?

How long are they taking to get spouse visa if myself and daughter are Canadian citizens?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...fc-spouses.asp
Old Aug 11th 2013, 4:50 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the spreadsheet in my signature, should give you an idea!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 4:54 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

80% of spousal are completed within 8 to 10 months from receipt of the application at the visa office.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute

Timelines seem to be like voodoo. Some get through in say, 9 months, some in a year, some more. Those of us with clean records, no medical issues at all and perfectly filled out and paid for applications are taking longer than they say. Some are bang on schedule.
And the strike has only thrown more doubt and time into the mix.

It seems that they have their own ways and will not be budged no matter the circumstances. I've had to deal with the Canadian government for my own citizenship and that of my son as well as citizenship cards and passports...

Passport people seems to know their jobs well and it was fast.
Original citizenship decades ago was fast and efficient.
My ex was able to hold up my son's passport for over a year in spite of me having his citizenship card. In the end I gave up arguing and forgot about it. If Canada wanted to let a citizen of another country tell them how to treat their own citizens..well what could I do? .About 10 months later it showed up out if the blue.
Replacement for lost citizenship cards took over a year. You bet that I am not ever letting those cards out of my sight again!

Now my husband's PR has been almost a year with many requests for additional tests and information. Sponsorship approval was pretty fast. Then the waiting game starts.
We cannot think why since all medicals were clean as a whistle. (In 40 years if work he only ever took 4 days off for sickness...)
We are retired with a final pension scheme and are not likely to ever be a burden on the social safety net in any country.
The only business he has had with the law was that he was once a witness in a murder trial. For the state prosecution.

There is a lot of frustration here and it can seem like they like are jerking you around. However, in my more charitable moments, I realise that they have a complex job and probably a heavy case load.

Some of us have had jobs lost or in jeopardy because of the slowness of the system. Some of us, it's just a matter of peace of mind.
So start early, and be prepared to wait. And wait, and wait.

But at least they are polite about it. Unlike a certain country to the south of Canada....

NOBODY does bureaucracy like the Canadians!
Bless us every one....

Last edited by deltadeliquent; Aug 11th 2013 at 5:07 am.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Yeah not helpful..
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Look at the spreadsheet in my signature, should give you an idea!

Ok thanks!!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
80% of spousal are completed within 8 to 10 months from receipt of the application at the visa office.

Cheers Jim!!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Also to the helpful people. If I applied for future use, once granted how long is it 'live' for? Does it expire?
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah not helpful..
"Thank you" would have been a more appropriate response.

It is helpful to know what the current times are for processing - otherwise, how will you compare your timeline or know when you exceed those times and can legitimately send a case-specific enquiry?

In response to your second question; a COPR is valid for 12 months from the date of your medical, generally speaking (though it has been known to be extended) or the expiry of your passport, which ever is sooner. If you don't 'land' by the date specified on your COPR then it becomes invalid and you would be required to make another application from scratch.

Once you have 'landed' then you must maintain living in Canada for a minimum of 730 days out of each 5 year period (starting from the date you land) unless you are married to a Canadian Citizen (not PR) in which case your time outside of Canada would be counted as time spent in Canada.

If you wished to 'land' and then return to the UK you could. See also the wiki article: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 11th 2013 at 5:56 am.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

idontlikestrikers has a brilliant futureidontlikestrikers has a brilliant futureidontlikestrikers has a brilliant futureidontlikestrikers has a brilliant futureidontlikestrikers has a brilliant futureidontlikestrikers has a brilliant futureidontlikestrikers has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by deltadeliquent
Timelines seem to be like voodoo. Some get through in say, 9 months, some in a year, some more. Those of us with clean records, no medical issues at all and perfectly filled out and paid for applications are taking longer than they say. Some are bang on schedule.
And the strike has only thrown more doubt and time into the mix.

It seems that they have their own ways and will not be budged no matter the circumstances. I've had to deal with the Canadian government for my own citizenship and that of my son as well as citizenship cards and passports...

Passport people seems to know their jobs well and it was fast.
Original citizenship decades ago was fast and efficient.
My ex was able to hold up my son's passport for over a year in spite of me having his citizenship card. In the end I gave up arguing and forgot about it. If Canada wanted to let a citizen of another country tell them how to treat their own citizens..well what could I do? .About 10 months later it showed up out if the blue.
Replacement for lost citizenship cards took over a year. You bet that I am not ever letting those cards out of my sight again!

Now my husband's PR has been almost a year with many requests for additional tests and information. Sponsorship approval was pretty fast. Then the waiting game starts.
We cannot think why since all medicals were clean as a whistle. (In 40 years if work he only ever took 4 days off for sickness...)
We are retired with a final pension scheme and are not likely to ever be a burden on the social safety net in any country.
The only business he has had with the law was that he was once a witness in a murder trial. For the state prosecution.

There is a lot of frustration here and it can seem like they like are jerking you around. However, in my more charitable moments, I realise that they have a complex job and probably a heavy case load.

Some of us have had jobs lost or in jeopardy because of the slowness of the system. Some of us, it's just a matter of peace of mind.
So start early, and be prepared to wait. And wait, and wait.

But at least they are polite about it. Unlike a certain country to the south of Canada....

NOBODY does bureaucracy like the Canadians!
Bless us every one....
+1
Clean police report, clean health certificate x 2 because the first expired as the process has taken a year. Fully traceable career, education, and background. Both our careers on shortlist and 15 years before we retire but we also have our pensions sorted already.

I think there is an element of CIC processing apps as "if it sounds to good to be true then it is" therefore we get more checks. Having been through some stringent security checks to work on defence systems for UK/Europe/NATO and taking only a max 6 weeks I have to wonder what CIC were checking that took so long.

My wife and I have both lost our jobs because of a mixture of strike action and longer than normal processing.

I disagree that CIC are polite about it though - ignoring peoples plea's for help and information is extremely rude. A lot of questions they get are probably not worthy of answer but a lot are and still ignored. Communication is a must do for all business and public sector.

At least there seems to be more movement lately from London
Old Aug 11th 2013, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Origin is just really niceOrigin is just really niceOrigin is just really niceOrigin is just really niceOrigin is just really niceOrigin is just really niceOrigin is just really niceOrigin is just really niceOrigin is just really niceOrigin is just really niceOrigin is just really nice

Anyone care to summarise the last 411 pages?

How long are they taking to get spouse visa if myself and daughter are Canadian citizens?
In short, anywhere from 90 days total to 454 days for 2012 apps, to 125 days (so far, (which is me) ) to 175 days, bearing in mind we are 222 days into the year. It's all here in the spreadsheet
Old Aug 11th 2013, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

sherrysn is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my PR in January 2013 and visa is valid until 12 September,2013.
I applied as single and got married in March 2013.
I applied for UK spouse visa and got it on 15 June 2013
I informed CIC regarding change in marital status and that my spouse is not accompanying me he will come later after an year (his father is terminally ill with heart problems).
They ask to repeat my medical and submit :
New Application for Permanent Residence IMM0008 form for the principal applicant
New Additional Family Information form IMM5406 for yourself and each family member over the age of 18

Now my questions are :

1) my husband has theft charges (in 1986) would his application be accepted if not would my PR get refused as well?

2) would it affect my case if my husband is not accompanying me?

3) Holding UK spouse visa as well could create problem?

2) will they send me medical form or do I need to go for medical without any form?
thanks.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherrysn
I got my PR in January 2013 and visa is valid until 12 September,2013.
I applied as single and got married in March 2013.
I applied for UK spouse visa and got it on 15 June 2013
I informed CIC regarding change in marital status and that my spouse is not accompanying me he will come later after an year (his father is terminally ill with heart problems).
They ask to repeat my medical and submit :
New Application for Permanent Residence IMM0008 form for the principal applicant
New Additional Family Information form IMM5406 for yourself and each family member over the age of 18

Now my questions are :

1) my husband has theft charges (in 1986) would his application be accepted if not would my PR get refused as well?

2) would it affect my case if my husband is not accompanying me?

3) Holding UK spouse visa as well could create problem?

2) will they send me medical form or do I need to go for medical without any form?
thanks.
Regarding the theft charges and without seeing the ACPO (Police) certificate if he only has ONE conviction and the sentence was completed in full and TEN years have passed since the completion of the sentence then he would be deemed rehabilitated. The offence(s) still need to be declared and ACPO. submitted.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Mircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura about

Hi, I have started prepping all the information for the common law application. I have a question for those that have submitted, did you include IMM5409 (Statutory Declaration) in the application?

It seems that only if you and your partner are sponsoring a third person this is included but I just would like to make sure from somebody that has submitted.

Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2013, 11:33 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mircha
Hi, I have started prepping all the information for the common law application. I have a question for those that have submitted, did you include IMM5409 (Statutory Declaration) in the application?

It seems that only if you and your partner are sponsoring a third person this is included but I just would like to make sure from somebody that has submitted.

Thanks
You have that exactly correct. You only fill out that form if you and your common-law partner are sponsoring a third person.

You do, however, have to submit two statutory declarations from friends/family acknowledging your application. It costs about £5-10 each in the UK to have the letter notarised. That's where some of the confusion comes in.

Hope that helps, let us know how you get on and feel free to post any other questions! Also let us know once you've applied and we can add you to the spreadsheet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.