Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jun 21st 2012, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
My husband got a phone call today from the Canadian High Commission! They were looking to confirm that we had indeed gotten married (we applied pre-wedding as common-law, got married two months ago today). The guy told my husband that otherwise everything with our application appears to be in order and we should hear from them in about 3 weeks.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [insert happy dance here]
this is exciting! hoping to hear things soon!!!!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

lindzation is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys!

I have a couple of questions for you..
I am Canadian and my boyriend is Irish.. we are currently living in Canada - he's on his second IEC visa. We are currently trying to decide which PR route to take. He's an electrician and has recently challenged the Red Seal exam here in Alberta. If he passes he can apply to the Provincial Nominee Program.. if not we may just do the common law sponsorship as we don't want to waste too much time.

ANYWAY -

What I'm wondering is:
1. How long do the processing times seem to be taking for applications from within Canada? It looks like about 19 months on the website but from what I've been reading on here, it looks like it may be quicker than that?

2. When you applied, did you send the medical with the application like they recommend for faster processing? We are concerned that it will take a long time to process and he would have to do the medical again anyway.

3. Did you send the sponsorship application fee & the PR fee at the same time for faster processing times? Or wait until the PR fee was requested?

4. Has anyone left Canada while their sponsorship application/PR application was being processed? We are planning to go back to Ireland for Christmas/a wedding.. my boyfriend has his visa for here until May so I'm assuming it should be fine to leave?

I think that's all for now.. thank you soo much in advance for any advice.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindzation
Hi guys!

I have a couple of questions for you..
I am Canadian and my boyriend is Irish.. we are currently living in Canada - he's on his second IEC visa. We are currently trying to decide which PR route to take. He's an electrician and has recently challenged the Red Seal exam here in Alberta. If he passes he can apply to the Provincial Nominee Program.. if not we may just do the common law sponsorship as we don't want to waste too much time.

ANYWAY -

What I'm wondering is:
1. How long do the processing times seem to be taking for applications from within Canada? It looks like about 19 months on the website but from what I've been reading on here, it looks like it may be quicker than that?

2. When you applied, did you send the medical with the application like they recommend for faster processing? We are concerned that it will take a long time to process and he would have to do the medical again anyway.

3. Did you send the sponsorship application fee & the PR fee at the same time for faster processing times? Or wait until the PR fee was requested?

4. Has anyone left Canada while their sponsorship application/PR application was being processed? We are planning to go back to Ireland for Christmas/a wedding.. my boyfriend has his visa for here until May so I'm assuming it should be fine to leave?

I think that's all for now.. thank you soo much in advance for any advice.
You should be doing an "out of canada application" its much faster (less than 12months- sometimes 6 months or less) You can leave canada with no problem. Its reccomended for some people to stay in canada but this is for people that need to apply for a visa just to visit canada
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:20 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Hello! I can answer a few of your questions re common-law sponsorship (my app is currently in process), some of the more knowledgeable can help with the others...

First, have a read of the new joiners wiki, it will answer a lot of your questions.

What I'm wondering is:
It depends if you apply inland or outland. There are pros and cons to both. If you apply outland, your app is processed much more quickly (average is about 6 months) but you may be called to London (or whichever office you apply through) for an interview. Very few people get called, but it's up to you if you choose to take the risk or not. There are other pros and cons, they're all on the wiki.

For family class sponsorship (under which common-law falls), yes, you have to send proof of having completed a medical along with your application. The doctor will give you a slip that you include with your application; when the doc receives all your results they send the results to CIC along with their copy of that slip, then CIC matches it up. (It sometimes gets confusing because with other applications like FSW they request a medical later.)

It's recommended you send it all together as this speeds things up, but not everyone is able to pay the $1,100 (or however much) at the same time so they split it into two payments. If you're able to pay both, though, it does speed things up.

I believe it is fine for you to travel - 99% sure but someone else can answer this with more detail.

Again, have a read through the wiki, and when you start filling out your application you can post more specific questions and many people will be more than happy to help.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chanceUK
You should be doing an "out of canada application" its much faster (less than 12months- sometimes 6 months or less) You can leave canada with no problem. Its reccomended for some people to stay in canada but this is for people that need to apply for a visa just to visit canada
Forgot to say you can apply outland even though you are living in canada
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Wow - thanks so much guys ! You have actually blown my mind and helped A LOT.

We can apply as Outland?? Even with my boyfriend living here over a year/continuing to live here on an IEC visa? I thought he would have to leave Canada in order to go that route. This is amazing news!

It seems weird to me though - why do they bother having two streams if you can apply for either if you are living in Canada?
I have absolutely no problem with the possibility of a little trip over to London for an interview if it's going to speed the process up that much!!

RE: the medical - that is probably why I got confused - I think for the PNP you send in the medical later.

Thanks so much for your help. I've been reading over the wiki and that's helping as well..

Hello! I can answer a few of your questions re common-law sponsorship (my app is currently in process), some of the more knowledgeable can help with the others...

First, have a read of the new joiners wiki, it will answer a lot of your questions.

It depends if you apply inland or outland. There are pros and cons to both. If you apply outland, your app is processed much more quickly (average is about 6 months) but you may be called to London (or whichever office you apply through) for an interview. Very few people get called, but it's up to you if you choose to take the risk or not. There are other pros and cons, they're all on the wiki.

For family class sponsorship (under which common-law falls), yes, you have to send proof of having completed a medical along with your application. The doctor will give you a slip that you include with your application; when the doc receives all your results they send the results to CIC along with their copy of that slip, then CIC matches it up. (It sometimes gets confusing because with other applications like FSW they request a medical later.)

It's recommended you send it all together as this speeds things up, but not everyone is able to pay the $1,100 (or however much) at the same time so they split it into two payments. If you're able to pay both, though, it does speed things up.

I believe it is fine for you to travel - 99% sure but someone else can answer this with more detail.

Again, have a read through the wiki, and when you start filling out your application you can post more specific questions and many people will be more than happy to help.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

OH! I see - gosh I can't believe how long that took me to figure out.

Outland is actually referring to the application being processed OUTSIDE of Canada, and Inland is referring to the applications being processed IN Canada. Ohhh that's makes sense - the CIC website is a bit misleading?! I just went back and looked and it says:

"If your spouse, partner or accompanying dependent child lives with you in Canada, use the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common-law Partner.

If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives abroad, use the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class."

Confusing..

One more quick question...
For the police certificates - my boyfriend needs to do one for both Australia and Ireland - do you have to do the fingerprint checks? Or does just a police cert suffice? (For the IEC a fingerprint check was not required, but I see there is a form to bring into the Canadian police for fingerprints)

Thanks!!!

Last edited by lindzation; Jun 22nd 2012 at 9:26 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 2:45 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

OH! I see - gosh I can't believe how long that took me to figure out.

Outland is actually referring to the application being processed OUTSIDE of Canada, and Inland is referring to the applications being processed IN Canada. Ohhh that's makes sense - the CIC website is a bit misleading?! I just went back and looked and it says:

"If your spouse, partner or accompanying dependent child lives with you in Canada, use the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common-law Partner.

If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives abroad, use the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class."

Confusing..

One more quick question...
For the police certificates - my boyfriend needs to do one for both Australia and Ireland - do you have to do the fingerprint checks? Or does just a police cert suffice? (For the IEC a fingerprint check was not required, but I see there is a form to bring into the Canadian police for fingerprints)

Thanks!!!
1. No. The instructions are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cert/index.asp
2. Note, depending on where he lived he may need a Traffic/Driving history report.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

richtee is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just sent the spousal forms to Mississauga (my wife is Canadian and with live in the UK). They were received on the 14th of June. I know the time frame for this part is 82 days ish. What's the time frame for the second part (in London)?
Thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richtee
We have just sent the spousal forms to Mississauga (my wife is Canadian and with live in the UK). They were received on the 14th of June. I know the time frame for this part is 82 days ish. What's the time frame for the second part (in London)?
Thanks
Currently averaging 3 months
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

newfie7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all

I asked this question on a different thread but have not received any replies so thought I would try here.

We are in the process of compiling our forms and documents (I'm a Canuck married to a Brit!) and are wondering if anyone knows if it's really necessary to know the exact day that our friends met our partner (i.e., the exact day/month/year that my friends met him) that the forms ask for? In most cases we know the month but the exact date would be an educated guess at most. Did anyone leave the 'day' field blank in these instances or did you make an educated guess?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

we made an educated guess for each unless we could remember the dates. We were advised not to leave blanks on the form.

Good luck!
Old Jun 24th 2012, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

newfie7 is an unknown quantity at this point

we made an educated guess for each unless we could remember the dates. We were advised not to leave blanks on the form.

Good luck!
Thank you!
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:06 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!
For the dates of meeting friends/parents etc, we also made educated guesses - if you know the month anyway you're at a max 30 days off the actual date they met, which doesn't really make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. If you keep your email, a lot of dates you'll be surprised to find in there - you mentioned to a friend something like "So John met my parents yesterday!" and you can work it out from there... but just best-guess it. No one is going to whine because you said John met your parents on the 5th when it was actually the 20th.

Another dates issue you might run into - dates for employment. My current job I remember when I started (helps that my company has it on record as well) but previous ones I didn't know exact dates so I just left it as months and left the day blank and I got through sponsor approval just fine. Again, doesn't matter too much if I was employed from the 10th or 30th of September.

HTH!
Old Jun 25th 2012, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

For the dates of meeting friends/parents etc, we also made educated guesses - if you know the month anyway you're at a max 30 days off the actual date they met, which doesn't really make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. If you keep your email, a lot of dates you'll be surprised to find in there - you mentioned to a friend something like "So John met my parents yesterday!" and you can work it out from there... but just best-guess it. No one is going to whine because you said John met your parents on the 5th when it was actually the 20th.

Another dates issue you might run into - dates for employment. My current job I remember when I started (helps that my company has it on record as well) but previous ones I didn't know exact dates so I just left it as months and left the day blank and I got through sponsor approval just fine. Again, doesn't matter too much if I was employed from the 10th or 30th of September.

HTH!

Hi, have you any indication as to when youll get you pr approved? Also how did you get confirmation of the spousal approval?
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.