Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Nov 11th 2019, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Fivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Woohoooo!!!! One step closer

You might find our wiki of use with the packing etc., lots of good info in there for moving across - a 'list of to do's when you leave and when you arrive as well. (don't forget your goods to follow list )

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...gistics-Canada
Thanks for the info, but too late, the packer came on 30th, we are one day ahead in Hong Kong. It will take at least 12 weeks for our goods to get to Toronto. Going to be camping out in the condo for a while

The list of things on arrival is good though. All of the goods to follow are under my wife’s name as she is a returning Canadian, the moving company suggested that it would be easier.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Jezzer88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news (please someone correct me if my understanding is wrong) but I think the only thing that is easier if it is in your wife’s name is to pay tax on all the items your are shipping. As a returning Canadian she would be subject to import tax.

A new pr is exempt of import tax on the items they bring with them. (I hope I am wrong for your sake, again someone please correct me if I’m wrong) I just don’t want you to get stung if that’s the case 🙁
Old Nov 11th 2019, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jezzer88
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news (please someone correct me if my understanding is wrong) but I think the only thing that is easier if it is in your wife’s name is to pay tax on all the items your are shipping. As a returning Canadian she would be subject to import tax.

A new pr is exempt of import tax on the items they bring with them. (I hope I am wrong for your sake, again someone please correct me if I’m wrong) I just don’t want you to get stung if that’s the case 🙁
Not quite correct. Both a new Immigrant or Former Resident of Canada have to meet the 6 month ownership, possession and use requirements of any goods being imported i.e it cannot be just bought and not used prior to coming to Canada. A former resident has the $10,000 limit on any one item whereas the new immigrant has no value limit on any one item.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-2-1-eng.html

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-3-2-eng.html
Old Nov 11th 2019, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Fivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond reputeFivestring has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both very much.

My wife has been out of the country for 22 years so was told that it should be no problem. We will see in 10 weeks time
Old Nov 11th 2019, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

koaski is an unknown quantity at this point

Feels like forever since we heard anything but finally some movement from London VO! Invitation to pre-arrival services has appeared in Gckey and Ecas has changed to decision made. Hopefully that means we're finally on the home stretch! 😁
Old Nov 11th 2019, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fivestring
Thanks both very much.

My wife has been out of the country for 22 years so was told that it should be no problem. We will see in 10 weeks time
You'll be fine.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koaski
Feels like forever since we heard anything but finally some movement from London VO! Invitation to pre-arrival services has appeared in Gckey and Ecas has changed to decision made. Hopefully that means we're finally on the home stretch! 😁
Yep, final stretch now, either get a 'copy PPR' or straight to CoPR. Spreadsheet updated.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi, Can I ask, when was your application sent to London?
Old Nov 11th 2019, 5:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

A reminder that it's really helpful if you can give details of your timeline to be added to the spreadsheet - that way people can see at a glance how the process is going.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2020271488
Old Nov 11th 2019, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

koaski is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Can I ask, when was your application sent to London?
Sure! We got transferred to London at the start of August after 7 months sitting in Sydney NS with nothing happening... felt like forever!

33 days left until we hit the 1 year mark so hopefully will all be done by then in time for a soft landing at Christmas when we go to visit family.

It's all on Hurlabrick's spreadsheet on the 2018 tab.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
A reminder that it's really helpful if you can give details of your timeline to be added to the spreadsheet - that way people can see at a glance how the process is going.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2020271488
Thanks for the plug Siouxie, but they had already provided the details for the spreadsheet.

The number of spousal sponsorship queries on this forum seem to have dropped off hugely and the entries volunteered for the 2019 tab are WAAAAYYYYY down on previous years. I am wondering if there is any point in keeping the spreadsheet going with this low level of participation...
Old Nov 11th 2019, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Sure! We got transferred to London at the start of August after 7 months sitting in Sydney NS with nothing happening... felt like forever!

33 days left until we hit the 1 year mark so hopefully will all be done by then in time for a soft landing at Christmas when we go to visit family.

It's all on Hurlabrick's spreadsheet on the 2018 tab.

That's great, thank you. Mine was sent to London 25th October and was trying to get an idea of how long it will take. No Christmas for us in Canada :-(
Old Nov 11th 2019, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's great, thank you. Mine was sent to London 25th October and was trying to get an idea of how long it will take. No Christmas for us in Canada :-(
Sorry, but you may as well get mentally settled in for a good wait yet, maybe start to move again Feb / Mar / Apr......
Old Nov 11th 2019, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Sorry, but you may as well get mentally settled in for a good wait yet, maybe start to move again Feb / Mar / Apr......
I know :-( I just need to accept it's going to take a very long time. It's just hard as a family, 5 year old and wife are in Canada and myself and the 2 year old are here in the U.K.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 6:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Thanks for the plug Siouxie, but they had already provided the details for the spreadsheet.

The number of spousal sponsorship queries on this forum seem to have dropped off hugely and the entries volunteered for the 2019 tab are WAAAAYYYYY down on previous years. I am wondering if there is any point in keeping the spreadsheet going with this low level of participation...
Then hopefully my general call to action to submit will help

Perhaps we could ask everyone who has submitted a spousal sponsorship application this year to please give their details - we can set up a reminder to post them when we see any new posts

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 11th 2019 at 7:24 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.