British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Manitoba - Strategic Initiative (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/manitoba-strategic-initiative-702457/)

Dammy May 25th 2012 8:18 am

Re: Manitoba - Strategic Initiative

Originally Posted by travel (Post 10080987)
In my opinion during an EV the most crucial part is to be able to show your employability.

For people who have already done their EV how did you folks manage this successfully. Did you actually appear for job interviews? Did you meet with recruitment agencies and discuss your case with them? Did you actually walk in directly to offices of companies in your field of work?

Also how many such meetings / interviews should one have at a minimum to be able to convince the officers of your employability.

Till now I have been able to manage two confirmed meetings with recruitment agencies and a meeting with a senior level professional in a reputed organisation working in Winnipeg. Somehow I have this feeling that these may not be enough. Please let me know your thoughts and feedback.

You are fine with what you have arranged. Just make sure you gather enough evidences of such meetings. Am an chartered accountant and I met just three audit firms partner who assessed my qualifications and told me am employable and would not find it difficult to get a job when I land as a permanent resident. They provided me with their call card wherein their details like name, office address and phone numbers, email are stated and when I went for my interview that was what I presented to Markus. Fortunately for me one of them happens to be an immigrant too and well known to Markus.

If you are in a regulated profession like mine, visit the provincial licence board or authority to familiarise yourself with the requirements and ensure you get call cards of people you meet as this would proof that you made an effort to understand what it will take you to settle seamlessly in Manitoba.

The immigration officer knows that you may not or will not secure a job during this visit since you are on a tourist visa, so the intention is to demonstrate that you are EMPLOYABLE and that is key.

Regards.

New_Start May 25th 2012 8:38 am

Originally Posted by travel (Post 10080987)
In my opinion during an EV the most crucial part is to be able to show your employability.

For people who have already done their EV how did you folks manage this successfully. Did you actually appear for job interviews? Did you meet with recruitment agencies and discuss your case with them? Did you actually walk in directly to offices of companies in your field of work?

Also how many such meetings / interviews should one have at a minimum to be able to convince the officers of your employability.

Till now I have been able to manage two confirmed meetings with recruitment agencies and a meeting with a senior level professional in a reputed organisation working in Winnipeg. Somehow I have this feeling that these may not be enough. Please let me know your thoughts and feedback.

I just had 3 meetings, one lunch meeting with a professional, one with an agent and one with a company recruiter. I only gathered 2 business cards from them but Markus happens to know one of them. At last Markus even introduced another agent to me. While how many interviews or meetings are enough also depends on your background. I have education certificate from a US university and have worked for 3 years in the US, so I guess it adds some value to my employability.

Dammy May 25th 2012 8:58 am

Originally Posted by New_Start (Post 10080713)
If the officers go to Russia this June, it means I have to wait much longer to get my LOA?! :(:(:(

New_Start: I just pray they sign our letters of approval (LOA) before they jet out to Ukraine/Russia in June:fingerscrossed:

forourfuture May 25th 2012 10:26 am

Hi Dammy,

Could you share your experience on your interview case and the audit firm links or contacts with me please? My wife is an accountant and her occupation needs to be regulated in Manitoba as well (she is the applicant).

Thanks for your help. :)

Originally Posted by Dammy (Post 10081014)
You are fine with what you have arranged. Just make sure you gather enough evidences of such meetings. Am an chartered accountant and I met just three audit firms partner who assessed my qualifications and told me am employable and would not find it difficult to get a job when I land as a permanent resident. They provided me with their call card wherein their details like name, office address and phone numbers, email are stated and when I went for my interview that was what I presented to Markus. Fortunately for me one of them happens to be an immigrant too and well known to Markus.

If you are in a regulated profession like mine, visit the provincial licence board or authority to familiarise yourself with the requirements and ensure you get call cards of people you meet as this would proof that you made an effort to understand what it will take you to settle seamlessly in Manitoba.

The immigration officer knows that you may not or will not secure a job during this visit since you are on a tourist visa, so the intention is to demonstrate that you are EMPLOYABLE and that is key.

Regards.

Dammy May 25th 2012 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by forourfuture (Post 10081251)
Hi Dammy,

Could you share your experience on your interview case and the audit firm links or contacts with me please? My wife is an accountant and her occupation needs to be regulated in Manitoba as well (she is the applicant).

Thanks for your help. :)

It will be a bit of a challenge to explain line-by-line how my interview went but all I can say is just be yourself and be truthful about what you have experienced during the EV. If I can re-collect how my interview went, I would say it started by knowing who you are, then what you are doing back home. You cannot be a Lawyer in your country and want to come to Manitoba and be an Accountant. There must be a correlation with what you intend to do in Manitoba and what you are doing back home.

I was also interviewed in the area of housing as to where in Winnipeg I intend to live and also the schools am targeting for my kids.

Lastly, we talked about finance which for me was not a challenge as I did mentioned that I meet and exceed their required minimum and my interviewer was fine by my response. This was possible because he looked at my resume ascertained the number of years I have worked and asked how much I earn per annum in Canadian dollars and therefore believed what I said I intend to relocate to Canada with.

In a nutshell your wife has to sell herself as an asset to the province and not a liability. Since she is an accountant I would advise that before meeting employers or recruitments agency, she should visit the Certified General Accountants (CGA) of Canada office at No. 4 Donald Street, Winnipeg. They have a list of all the audit and accountancy practice firms from where she can call any for appointments.

So in essence be your real self and don't let the way others did their interviews scare you or make you adopt their approach as it may not work for you at the end. Originality is the principle and you cannot miss it if you go that route.

All the best.

Regards.

nordex May 25th 2012 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Dammy (Post 10080408)
When was your EV approved?, this will help others waiting for their own EV to have an idea of when theirs will likely come.

I completed all documentation, and got acknowledgment email on March 1st. I was patient and since I got no email from any of officers I sent a reminder email on May 1st. Markus answered me same day that he accepted my request for exploratory visit! :nod:
Next, I sent Markus on May 14th dates that I want to travel. He did not reply me to this day. I guess I will be sending him another reminder letter soon.

Dammy May 25th 2012 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by nordex (Post 10081605)
I completed all documentation, and got acknowledgment email on March 1st. I was patient and since I got no email from any of officers I sent a reminder email on May 1st. Markus answered me same day that he accepted my request for exploratory visit! :nod:
Next, I sent Markus on May 14th dates that I want to travel. He did not reply me to this day. I guess I will be sending him another reminder letter soon.

Thanks for the clarification. Trust this will help other members of the forum to know your time line.

Were you asked further questions after your initial request just like some people?

nordex May 25th 2012 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dammy (Post 10081875)
Thanks for the clarification. Trust this will help other members of the forum to know your time line.

Were you asked further questions after your initial request just like some people?

Yeah of course, 6 questions from Markus. I answered them as well.

nordex May 25th 2012 8:41 pm

OK, now I'm calculating time and trying to understand how long it would be before I get my PR. Please everyone correct me with my calculations.

So I land in Winnipeg in mid July (If Markus agrees on that, of course).
I'm in Winnipeg 7-10 days
If I'm lucky, I get Letter of Approval right after interview with Markus.
If not I'm getting LOA in 60 days by regular mail.
Next step is to apply online on www.immigratemanitoba.com, and that process can take up to 60 days, and I get all documentation by regular mail.
When I get my Manitoba Letter of Nomination, I have 6 months to complete documentation and send all documents to Immigration office in Nova Scotia.
What happen then? How Long it takes to send me PR (Card or Visa?) Do they send me to home address or to embassy in my home country?
After I get my PR I have six months to move in Winnipeg.

I'm trying to figure out all this about timing and I'm wondering if I can be in Winnipeg in September or October? Because I'm traveling with my kids and wife and I think that our first winter in Winnipeg should be secured in a way that we already have a job and a apartment, and not to look for a job in a winter.

forourfuture May 26th 2012 4:35 am

Hi Dammy,

Thanks for your sharing information on your case. That says "be yourself" in any circumstances.
I will check the contact of CGA and see the result then.

Wish you have PR soonest.

Originally Posted by Dammy (Post 10081586)
It will be a bit of a challenge to explain line-by-line how my interview went but all I can say is just be yourself and be truthful about what you have experienced during the EV. If I can re-collect how my interview went, I would say it started by knowing who you are, then what you are doing back home. You cannot be a Lawyer in your country and want to come to Manitoba and be an Accountant. There must be a correlation with what you intend to do in Manitoba and what you are doing back home.

I was also interviewed in the area of housing as to where in Winnipeg I intend to live and also the schools am targeting for my kids.

Lastly, we talked about finance which for me was not a challenge as I did mentioned that I meet and exceed their required minimum and my interviewer was fine by my response. This was possible because he looked at my resume ascertained the number of years I have worked and asked how much I earn per annum in Canadian dollars and therefore believed what I said I intend to relocate to Canada with.

In a nutshell your wife has to sell herself as an asset to the province and not a liability. Since she is an accountant I would advise that before meeting employers or recruitments agency, she should visit the Certified General Accountants (CGA) of Canada office at No. 4 Donald Street, Winnipeg. They have a list of all the audit and accountancy practice firms from where she can call any for appointments.

So in essence be your real self and don't let the way others did their interviews scare you or make you adopt their approach as it may not work for you at the end. Originality is the principle and you cannot miss it if you go that route.

All the best.

Regards.

forourfuture May 26th 2012 8:11 am

Hi all,

I sent an email for EV but received the feedback:

===========
The original message was received at Sat, 26 May 2012 15:02:35 +0700

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <[email protected]>

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to plman.mail.eds.com
>>> RCPT To:<[email protected]>
>>> NOTIFY=SUCCESS,FAILURE,DELAY
<<< 550 5.7.1 <[email protected]>... Mail from 210.245.85.45 refused by RBL, RSS, or DUL, please see www.mail-abuse.com, sender is <[email protected]>
==========

I sent cc to my other email address and can receive well.

Is their email box having problem? Do anyone have same problem with me?

Thanks.

Daisy101 May 26th 2012 12:43 pm

Hello, just wanted to find out how long to get a response from initial application. When should I make a follow up query?

Gustekp May 26th 2012 1:57 pm

Hi all.

Have been away for few days and so much has happened.Whao I say a big thank you to every one who has contributed one way or the other.Still waiting for the invite email.

Thanks

ra_XOr May 26th 2012 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by forourfuture (Post 10083060)
Hi all,

I sent an email for EV but received the feedback:

===========
The original message was received at Sat, 26 May 2012 15:02:35 +0700

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <[email protected]>

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to plman.mail.eds.com
>>> RCPT To:<[email protected]>
>>> NOTIFY=SUCCESS,FAILURE,DELAY
<<< 550 5.7.1 <[email protected]>... Mail from 210.245.85.45 refused by RBL, RSS, or DUL, please see www.mail-abuse.com, sender is <[email protected]>
==========

I sent cc to my other email address and can receive well.

Is their email box having problem? Do anyone have same problem with me?

Thanks.

Did you mind the 4 mb limit for email attachements??

Mostafa

Dammy May 26th 2012 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Gustekp (Post 10083330)
Hi all.

Have been away for few days and so much has happened.Whao I say a big thank you to every one who has contributed one way or the other.Still waiting for the invite email.

Thanks

Gustekp: I pray you receive good news next week.