British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Manitoba - Strategic Initiative (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/manitoba-strategic-initiative-702457/)

Sofi Jan 26th 2011 7:56 pm

Manitoba - Strategic Initiative

Hello,

I have been looking into the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Programme, and I was wondering if anybody knows anything about the Strategic Initiative Stream.

This is what it says online:

Strategic Initiatives
Strategic Initiatives are undertaken at the discretion of the MPNP in accordance with program needs and available resources. You are eligible to apply if you:
• participated in an exploratory visit to Manitoba, confirmed by the MPNP, and had an interview with a MPNP officer,

or
• were interviewed by a MPNP officer and received a letter of invitation to apply as part of a MPNP targeted overseas promotional initiative, How do I find out about this? Does anybody have any ideas?

or
• have the support of an ethnocultural community organization in Manitoba that will help you arrange an exploratory visit that has been pre-approved by the MPNP

Advice very welcome :)

Thanks,
Sofi

GC44 Jan 26th 2011 8:13 pm

Re: Manitoba - Strategic Initiative

Hi Sofi.

Manitobain is the poster who probably knows more about this than anyone. Chances are she will be along in the next day or two.

Good luck.:thumbup:

Sofi Jan 26th 2011 8:36 pm

Thank you GC44. I'll keep an eye out for Manitobian.

:)

manitobain Jan 27th 2011 1:15 am

lol.. and here I am :)

I just looked up the strategic stream info again..and am startled as I can't see the regional/community component, which was how our region was able to make use of this stream. Now I wonder how worried I should be.
I just sent an email to my contact for this stream at PNP, to see if this is really the case ..keep fingers crossed that it isn't.

Up to now it was the way that by getting in contact with regional or community development officers and the interest in that certain area could help you to get such an invite for exploratory visit. These were mostly given for rural areas in MB and it always depended also on education/experience and employability ..never mind the funds.

Will keep you posted.

What kind of work you do, if u don't mind me asking? And are you interested in the rural area of Manitoba?

Ilse

manitobain Jan 27th 2011 1:19 am

addition to last post: I don't think MB has participated in any overseas initiative the last few years (last one I know of was nurses from philipines in 2007 or 2008)

GC44 Jan 27th 2011 9:44 am

Hi Sofi,

Have sent you a PM, check it out :).

manitobain Jan 28th 2011 1:45 am

ok, doublechecked and nothing has changed...whewwww.

so, the way to go for the strategic stream is still to get in contact with regions in Manitoba (economic development officers or immigration/settlement officers if available), get informed about the region and what it has to offer and they can then help you to get an approval for an exploratory visit (if all conditions for the stream are otherwise fitting)

You can find the regional immigration offices and partners on the www.immigratemanitoba.com or feel free to PM me.

cheers
Ilse

Sats72 Mar 10th 2011 10:33 am

Hello all, just wondering what occupations is required for the Strategic Initiative? My family and I would like to move to Manitoba in the future, and actually would prefer to move to a rural community, but neither of us our skilled workers.

My wife has worked in retail for 20 years, and I've done all sorts of jobs :) like a jack of all and master of none. On the general stream my wife scored 54 points, but if she could get sponsored by a rural community it could give her 59 points.

Going by the little info above, would we stand any chance or are we kidding ourselves?

Rossman Mar 10th 2011 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sats72 (Post 9230333)
Hello all, just wondering what occupations is required for the Strategic Initiative? My family and I would like to move to Manitoba in the future, and actually would prefer to move to a rural community, but neither of us our skilled workers.

My wife has worked in retail for 20 years, and I've done all sorts of jobs :) like a jack of all and master of none. On the general stream my wife scored 54 points, but if she could get sponsored by a rural community it could give her 59 points.

Going by the little info above, would we stand any chance or are we kidding ourselves?

You need to visit rural manitoba , meeting possible employers and community people. quote from Manitoba immigration website for strategic stream criteria :

Seven criteria for exploratory visits to Manitoba

1. You are between the ages of 21 to 49.

2. You have completed a minimum one-year post-secondary education or training program for which you received a diploma or certificate.

3. You have worked at least two years in the past five years in a full-time occupation and can demonstrate that you could be employable in Manitoba in that occupation within the first year of permanent residence in Canada.

4. You can demonstrate a minimum of six points in English or French based on the Manitoba PNP language grid and/or a minimum score of five on an IELTS exam (International English Language Testing System).

5. The MPNP is satisfied that you do not have stronger ties to other provinces in Canada and have good potential to settle permanently in Manitoba.

6. You must contact the MPNP at least two months in advance to discuss the possibility of an exploratory visit.

7. The MPNP agrees before you arrive in Manitoba to have an interview with you during your exploratory visit ►

Sats72 Mar 10th 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks for the reply :) I think 1 - 4 we're fine, it's 5 - 7 that are in the hands of MPNP.
How do we convince MPNP that we have what it takes to settle in Manitoba? What steps do we need to take, or who do we contact to start the process?

manitobain Mar 11th 2011 2:12 am

Heh sats, try this:
convince me that you should be the one being allowed for an exploratory visit.
What makes you employable (both of you)? do you know what you can earn in your occupation in Manitoba and can you make a living out of it?
Which area of Manitoba have you looked at?
Why would you want to live in rural Manitoba...do you know what it is like? Have you been in Manitoba before (or in Canada)?
Do you have family/friends in Canada and if so, where?
Do you have sufficient funds ($10,000 for main applicant, $2,000 for every dependant) ?

When you said you went through the point system of the general stream, would you have 2 ppl giving you an affidavit?

you don't need necessarly be a skilled worker on the list, but somehow you need to show why it would be good for MB to allow you in and that you will stay permanently. I can probably help you when it comes to community connections, if you are interested in visiting MB...but let me hear first your arguments :)

cheers
Ilse

Sats72 Mar 11th 2011 1:00 pm

Hello Manitobain, thanks for the reply :)

Well my wife (37) has 20 years of retail experience. She's very good at her job, she has references and certificates that she has received for her customer services skills. She has some qualifications in Sage Accounts and Bookkeeping.

Well me (38) I've a college qualification in the hospitality sector BII (British Institute of Inn keeping) I worked in that sector for about 10 years. Then after I've worked as an Editorial Assistant, Library Assistant, Correspondence Assistant and also in Accounts Receivable. These jobs where all under the same company, hence the jack of all master of none comment. :) The career I'd pursue in Manitoba would be as a Truck Driver, I've got a LGV class 1 licence but not much experience in that occupation so far.

We have no connection to Manitoba. On the general stream this is were we fail. We have looked into Manitoba, simply because the province comes across as very inviting, as if they want immigrants to apply. I also read that Manitoba has more sunshine than any other province which is another plus for us. (our climate is nearly always cloudy with rain:thumbdown:) Morden is the town we've looked at most, their video for the town states virtually no crime, this is definitely a plus. We as a family would like somewhere peaceful to live, where our children have better opportunities with more outdoor activities available.

The settlement funds we don't have, but we own our home outright, (mortgage free) if we were to ever be granted pr, I'm sure we could sell and have the funds needed to settle.

I have a cousin that lives in Ontario, and some other distant relatives living in Canada but I've no idea where, or if they could/would help us.

Again thanks for your advice, it's very much appreciated.

manitobain Mar 11th 2011 7:48 pm

Hey Sats,
don't take this personally, as I really only want to show you the weak side to work on:
"Well my wife (37) has 20 years of retail experience. She's very good at her job, she has references and certificates that she has received for her customer services skills. She has some qualifications in Sage Accounts and Bookkeeping."
Sorry to say, but most likely this will not count for much here. Retail work is considered low skilled (apart from manager positions), employers train ppl usually hands-on, so while she might be easily employable, I don't think she stands a chance as main applicant. I am not in retail, so don't know if the above accounting program is used here, but general knowledge in accounting/bookkeeping is never bad.

"Well me (38) I've a college qualification in the hospitality sector BII (British Institute of Inn keeping) I worked in that sector for about 10 years. Then after I've worked as an Editorial Assistant, Library Assistant, Correspondence Assistant and also in Accounts Receivable. These jobs where all under the same company, hence the jack of all master of none comment."
This might have more potential. Would need to know more about the kind of work you did while in hospitality and how long ago that would have been.

" The career I'd pursue in Manitoba would be as a Truck Driver, I've got a LGV class 1 licence but not much experience in that occupation so far."
Forget that as an start! a) you need to redo your trucking license, which is clearly not for free and b) without experience you have very low chances of getting hired coming new to the country (of course you can do what you want, once you have PR...)

"We have no connection to Manitoba. On the general stream this is were we fail."
yup.

"We have looked into Manitoba, simply because the province comes across as very inviting, as if they want immigrants to apply. I also read that Manitoba has more sunshine than any other province which is another plus for us. (our climate is nearly always cloudy with rain)"
:) you made a good case there

"Morden is the town we've looked at most, their video for the town states virtually no crime, this is definitely a plus. We as a family would like somewhere peaceful to live, where our children have better opportunities with more outdoor activities available."

Great that you looked already at different towns/places. Pluspoints there :) You will find the same being true for almost every small town in Manitoba. I am from a different area in Manitoba check out www.town.rossburn.mb.ca , we have added outdoor activities through the approximity of the Riding Mountain National Park...otherwise usually the biggest crimes are those darn speeding tickets ;)

"The settlement funds we don't have, but we own our home outright, (mortgage free) if we were to ever be granted pr, I'm sure we could sell and have the funds needed to settle."
This is where you would fail! You HAVE to be able to show settlement funding when applying for PNP. You can use though your house to do that, if you have it assessed and the value can be proven at least as high (preferable higher) as the settlement funding needed. You have to show though too, that the funds are easy accessible, which would mean in your specific case, probably a letter from the bank saying that they would lent you the needed amount against the house, if need be.

"I have a cousin that lives in Ontario, and some other distant relatives living in Canada but I've no idea where, or if they could/would help us."
Forget them. It will be hold against you if you have family in Ontario, but you apply for PNP in Manitoba, chances that you stay permanently in MB is considered lower in that case. Cousin is far enough out, that you don't need to mention them..especially if you don't have much contact with them.

If your heart is set on Morden, do contact the immigration/settlement contact over there. I know they are usually very busy, as their amount of immigrants is way higher than ours (lot of immigrants from Germany), do mention the strategic stream right away. Strategic stream works through communities, contact with communities prior to contacting PNP is essential.

If you like our area, you can give me as well a PM

hope this helps a lil

Ilse

GC44 Mar 11th 2011 8:22 pm

Hi Sats72,

I can only echo how Manitobain describes Morden, extremely Germanic. We visited last August and although a nice area we felt a little out of place. In the last 15 years or so this area has had a major influx of Germans. I think this region was originally settled by Germans and Mennonites (Amish who smoke, drink, oh and speak a dialect of German). Looking at a map of the area is not unlike looking at a map of Germany, check out the place names Winkler, Schanzenfeld, Reinland etc.
I am not anti German (I lived there for 5 years), but just be aware you may not want to focus on an area until you have been there yourself. As Manitobain says Manitoba has numerous communities as nice as Morden with just as much to offer, if not more.

Best of luck.:thumbup:

jamesmc Mar 11th 2011 8:47 pm

yup, we live not far from morden and dont think its that german! winkler is a lot more german /religious a lot of mennonites actually come from paraguay...
if you go a little west ,, manitou, la riviere,,pilot mound...,,,,,,then larger town carman,,,then .....somerset,very nice place people also,lol.
most jobs are by word o mouth..
.rural manitoba needs more emigrants /new blood as the last wave of post war people are retired ,,:thumbup::thumbup:james

Sats72 Mar 12th 2011 11:47 am

Sorry to say, but most likely this will not count for much here. Retail work is considered low skilled (apart from manager positions), employers train ppl usually hands-on, so while she might be easily employable, I don't think she stands a chance as main applicant. I am not in retail, so don't know if the above accounting program is used here, but general knowledge in accounting/bookkeeping is never bad.

Thanks again for the reply Mantitobain, this is a bit of a worry, my wife has certainly better qualifications than me from an education point of view. We thought she would have a better chance as the main applicant.

Forget that as an start! a) you need to redo your trucking license, which is clearly not for free and b) without experience you have very low chances of getting hired coming new to the country (of course you can do what you want, once you have PR...)

This is something I've realised. So to help me in my quest, I'm currently in the process of applying to going over to Canada/US with a US custom harvester as a trucker. If this is successful, I'll get a CDL and about 7 months experience hauling crops and farm machinery. While over there, I'd also try and explore some of the rural towns of Manitoba, if the opportunity became available. Would this be enough to get me employment as a trucker in Manitoba?

Great that you looked already at different towns/places. Pluspoints there :) You will find the same being true for almost every small town in Manitoba. I am from a different area in Manitoba check out www.town.rossburn.mb.ca , we have added outdoor activities through the approximity of the Riding Mountain National Park...otherwise usually the biggest crimes are those darn speeding tickets ;)

We would definitely consider other towns, but ideally we would like to live in a rural town, that could also offer shopping facilities or was within a hours drive. This would be for my wife to find employment, and to help with an awful shopping bug :eek: my two daughters have caught from their mother.

This is where you would fail! You HAVE to be able to show settlement funding when applying for PNP. You can use though your house to do that, if you have it assessed and the value can be proven at least as high (preferable higher) as the settlement funding needed. You have to show though too, that the funds are easy accessible, which would mean in your specific case, probably a letter from the bank saying that they would lent you the needed amount against the house, if need be.

If the lack of funds where our only obstacle, I'm sure we could find them, with selling our car, frantic saving :blink: or help from my parents. At what stage of the process are the proof of funds required?

Forget them. It will be hold against you if you have family in Ontario, but you apply for PNP in Manitoba, chances that you stay permanently in MB is considered lower in that case. Cousin is far enough out, that you don't need to mention them..especially if you don't have much contact with them.

Forgotten them already. ;)

If your heart is set on Morden, do contact the immigration/settlement contact over there. I know they are usually very busy, as their amount of immigrants is way higher than ours (lot of immigrants from Germany), do mention the strategic stream right away. Strategic stream works through communities, contact with communities prior to contacting PNP is essential.

No not at all, we would happily consider any town that were willing to accept us into their community, and has very little crime. All suggestions are welcomed and very much appreciated. :)

If you like our area, you can give me as well a PM

Your area looks very peaceful and well maintained (looking from google maps). This would be the kind of area we'd be happy to settle in. It's close to lakes, a provincial park and an array of wildlife (these things interest me greatly). We just need a shopping area close by (for the wife and girls) and It would be ideal. :)

hope this helps a lil

Ilse

It's been extremely helpful thank you. I hope we have some skills that may be useful to Manitoba. :fingerscrossed:

manitobain Mar 13th 2011 3:16 am

*hopes wife and daughters are on restricted credit cards for the shopping spree* ;)
If that is a criteria of decision were to move, you will have to look closer around Winnipeg and Brandon (we are about 1 1/2 hrs from Brandon).

Not sure about the trucking experience. You are allowed in the US with your license? (sorry no clue about the US). It should help, if that is possible but truckers will be way smarter on that one than me :).

Proof of funds is due at the moment of Provincial Nomination application. Read through forms and application kit info at the MB immigration website for more details.

keep at it :)
cheers
Ilse

Sats72 Mar 13th 2011 10:03 pm

*hopes wife and daughters are on restricted credit cards for the shopping spree* ;)
:rofl: Actually I'm a bit worried about going over to the US for 7 months. I'm afraid when I come home, the wife and kids will be buried under a mountain of clothes. :)

If that is a criteria of decision were to move, you will have to look closer around Winnipeg and Brandon (we are about 1 1/2 hrs from Brandon).
I never really thought it was tbh. 1.5 hrs wouldn't be to bad if it was for an occasional day out shopping, but I suppose for the wife to find employment it would be a bit much. :(

Not sure about the trucking experience. You are allowed in the US with your license? (sorry no clue about the US). It should help, if that is possible but truckers will be way smarter on that one than me :).
Well they can bring me over on a H2a visa with my licence, but I'd have to take the US CDL test when I got there to drive their trucks.

Proof of funds is due at the moment of Provincial Nomination application. Read through forms and application kit info at the MB immigration website for more details.

keep at it :)
cheers
Ilse

Thanks we will, and thanks to everyone to have replied. The information has been first class. :)

manitobain Mar 14th 2011 5:27 pm

hey sats,
work depends how high your wifes expectations are. If she needs to work in a fancy boutique..yeah.. Brandon or Wpg would be the thing. Any retail? I would think that would be doable out here as well (check out Russell, MB, our neighbor town, they have maybe better retail job options...we do have the nicer nature) :)

or check out (and hand it over to the wife) www.gonescrappin.ca , a very neat store in our town.

cheers
Ilse

Sats72 Mar 15th 2011 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by manitobain (Post 9239264)
hey sats,
work depends how high your wifes expectations are. If she needs to work in a fancy boutique..yeah.. Brandon or Wpg would be the thing. Any retail? I would think that would be doable out here as well (check out Russell, MB, our neighbor town, they have maybe better retail job options...we do have the nicer nature) :)

or check out (and hand it over to the wife) www.gonescrappin.ca , a very neat store in our town.

cheers
Ilse

Thanks for the reply Ilse, her expectations aren't high at all. :) If we were to be accepted and supported by a community, and we were offered employment in whatever line of work, I think we'd be more grateful than anything else. The wife would have no hesitation at all in working in the type of shop you linked to, in fact she would love an opportunity to work there. :thumbsup:

alexx.bg Jun 9th 2011 1:12 am

I am also interested in that Strategic Initiative. Do you know who should I contact to arrange exploratory visit? [email protected]-Is that the email I should contact?
Thanks

GC44 Jun 9th 2011 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by alexx.bg (Post 9420532)
I am also interested in that Strategic Initiative. Do you know who should I contact to arrange exploratory visit? [email protected]-Is that the email I should contact?
Thanks

Yes, that address should be good.
Unless they have changed the system you should get a reply within a couple of weeks.
Good luck :thumbup:

DoyleLinda Jun 9th 2011 4:18 pm

Yes, as GC44 says, that is the correct email address. We applied approx two weeks ago, and we have re-applied just last week for the Berlin event. No email response as yet but we live in hope. Good luck. Keep me posted. Linda.

alexx.bg Jun 10th 2011 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by DoyleLinda (Post 9422238)
Yes, as GC44 says, that is the correct email address. We applied approx two weeks ago, and we have re-applied just last week for the Berlin event. No email response as yet but we live in hope. Good luck. Keep me posted. Linda.

I just received an answer to my email from the Immigration Manitoba:
"Letters of invitation are given to those the program officers have met personally in Immigration Fairs or Overseas Recruitment Events.

Currently, there are no promotional initiatives in progress. If you want to apply for the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program, you need to be eligible to apply under one of our other streams.
"
So, I guess we should wait for something to come up again :) Good luck!

GC44 Jun 10th 2011 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by alexx.bg (Post 9424659)
I just received an answer to my email from the Immigration Manitoba:
"Letters of invitation are given to those the program officers have met personally in Immigration Fairs or Overseas Recruitment Events.

Currently, there are no promotional initiatives in progress. If you want to apply for the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program, you need to be eligible to apply under one of our other streams.
"
So, I guess we should wait for something to come up again :) Good luck!

Hi there,

Did you make it clear to Manitoba Immigration that you are interested in the Strategic Initiative Programme?

DoyleLinda Jun 10th 2011 7:59 pm

Hi,
When did you send your email? We send our email two weeks ago and haven't had any response.

Thanks.

alexx.bg Jun 11th 2011 12:33 am

Originally Posted by DoyleLinda (Post 9424732)
Hi,
When did you send your email? We send our email two weeks ago and haven't had any response.

Thanks.

I sent them email once with my resume to ask them do I have any chances. The replied to me with standard email explaining me about the possibilities to immigrate in Manitoba.
Then I sent them another email 2-3 days ago to ask them particularly about that Strategic Initiative...and that was their answer.
Alex

manitobain Jun 11th 2011 1:46 am

sigh...it doesnt work like that...
(what bugs me though is that they say there is no initiative, yet the making advertising for berlin)

If you plan on the strategic stream, you have to send a complete letter with all info in regards to you education/experience, funds, and especially connections to Manitoba, your proof of research and why you think you would be a great candidate for MB (all that besides the resume) . You then ask for permission for an exploratory visit and interview with MPNP officer at the end. You have to show them that you are knowledgable about the programs and the options in MB and in the best case scenario, you created already some contacts in a region.
If you go and ask them if you have a chance, thats not showing that you did any research..otherwise you would know to some degree and believe you do have a chance.
Via this stream they select in some way the capable ppl, who don't need to be hand-held, show them you are one of them?

Not sure about that whole Berlin thing though, I haven't heard from one who has heard from them yet (might try to find out something more on Monday about it).

DoyleLinda Jun 11th 2011 9:55 am

hi everyone,

As has been said above I am one of the applicants for the Berlin initiative but I haven't had a reply yet. I sent an email with both hubby's and my resumes, scanned in references, scanned in copies of educational parchments, etc. I also told them all about what I knew on Manitoba and where I have already visited in Manitoba, etc. I also told them I have a few good friends out there who would be willing to help us to integrate and make the transition. I felt my email was ticking all the boxes to at least get some kind of response but to date nothing. Not even to say that they had received it. The only thing is though maybe no news is good news (I hope).

In meantime we are waiting for a 2nd LMO for my husband so hoping that one or other will happen soon

Good luck with your endeavours to get to Manitoba. Its certainly not proving as easy as we first thought when we set out on this road almost a year ago now. (trying to obtain interviews, etc.).

Keep me posted if anyone manages to hear anything back on Berlin and I will do that also.

mnp305 Jul 11th 2011 7:29 pm

In March this year, I expressed my interest in the MNP strategic program. About 2 weeks later, they emailed me to send my resume and copies of diplomas. A week later, they emailed me some questions to explain why you are interested in Manitoba and how you can adapt to it, so on so forth. I responded it. Now nothing happened yet for two months. I am not sure what is their processing protocol, time line, and what will happen next for me. Any inputs? Thanks

GC44 Jul 12th 2011 11:34 am

I would give them a call. There should be a contact name and phone number on one of there e-mails.
Good luck :thumbsup:

DoyleLinda Jul 12th 2011 2:02 pm

At least you have an email.....we still have not received anything to say whether they even received the application or not. As GC44 says, send them a reminder and see how that goes. Good luck.

manitobain Jul 13th 2011 3:13 am

you can calculate about 2 months for decision...maybe with vacation time even a bit longer. If someone emailed you for more specific questions, you are already a step ahead (if you answered those questions right). You have an email address where you can send an email asking about how long would decision take (as you would like to plan your visit for a certain time?)

NostalgiaLava Aug 28th 2011 3:33 pm

I am also interested in the mpnp strategic initiative program. I qualify in all the main criteria they mention for exploratory visit. What I would like to ask is if anyone has tried sending the email before and if so what documents other than cvs I should include. I have all documents required for a pr in skilled worker but I just don't want to overdo it. I hope Manitobian member can give us some advice. The only thing I am not sure of is the adaptability section where they mention two things funds and support of community. How can I get in contact with support groups for such support? And is it totally required? Because the main criteria does not mention it.

Thx for the info in advance!

manitobain Aug 28th 2011 4:56 pm

Hey NostalgiaLava,
no need to send other documents in than the cv's when asking for exploratory visit...unless you have a document you find might be decisive giving you the ok for the exploratory visit (which could be something like an invitation letter either from an employer or a community or a private contact...or it could be something showing your research into job possibilities and your employability...but nothing of this is required really beforehand).
You will need to take care though when writing your email to MPNP to include explainations to all criterias you need for the exploratory visit. Make sure you show how much research and effort you put into discovering MB and its possibility for employment/lifestyle beforehand. Make sure you mention that you have sufficient funds (no proof needed yet), make sure if you have family, that you mention as well your partners employability. Make sure you mention WHY do you think MB will be your permanent home and what attracts you to it.
as to the adaptability...well, funds are logic. Community support you should strive as well for as this is what the exploratory visit itself is about: Connecting with a community/region, finding out about what it is about...how would you do that without contact? ;)
Again, lot of possibilities to do that (unless you plan to stay in Winnipeg, they are somewhat harder to catch, due to volume of ppl): have a look at the MB immigrate website: left hand side bar, click on "choose MB" then "live in MB", then "regional communities", a map pops up, click on "cities and communities" in upper right hand side bar (ok, it's a mistery to me, why they hide it behind so many clicks)...and voila, you have all region/communities, who work at the moment with MB Labor and Immigration to attract and retain new immigrants. ;) click on Rossburn and you find your way to me. Often enough if you send the communities an email with specific request, they will get to you and connection have started (be aware, not all of them have the same level of interest..not all work really with the strategic program).

Some of us have also regional websites, think most of them you can find under settlement services (www.parklandimmigration.ca is for our region..we will be listed shortly as settlement service as well, just got officially recognized with August 1st).

so lots of possibilities to get contacts beforehand. You are right, it is not directly in the criterias for exploratory visit....but as every decision if to grant or not an exploratory visit get's measured among others on the potential of longterm stay in MB, connections are seen as very valuable.

yikes.. and here I just wanted to answer rather fast and short ;)

Ilse

NostalgiaLava Aug 29th 2011 4:16 am

Thank you slot for your reply! Having someone to answer my questions is for sure much better than being on my own. I actually did see your community website before you provided and it amazed me how beautiful the place is there! I agree with you and expect that Winnipeg community service would be too busy to answer my email as I expect most of people would go to them. However, the thing that I am also taking into consideration is that during my research, I found that most jobs for me and my partner are easier to find in Winnipeg. I currently work as a training and technical support manager in industrial automation software. I also have project management experience and vocal training experience for adults in technical and engineering field. My husband is a recruitment consultant with a masters in hr. Not also to mention that I believe it would be easier at the beginning to be living near our work place until we develop the knak edge for the country. Currently, I have no idea if it is common for people to live outside Winnipeg and commute there for work! Is that possible? Would it cause extra cost? Does one need car or public transport available? Would appreciate if you provide me your opinion. One note also, w have a 1 year old baby girl and I have also to look for baby care near work place. Though think if we proceed and we were allowed to go there, she would be almost going to school then. I am giving the whole process almost two years or is this faster than normal streams?

Thx in advance.

manitobain Aug 31st 2011 2:01 am

:) yes agree, your jobs are most likely to be found in the city. And glad you liked our area.. tourists are welcome here too ;).

Think it is pretty common for ppl to commute. As the North End of the City doesn't have that good reputation...suggesting to look at bedroom communities south of the city (although Selkirk isn't suppose to be bad either).
There might be others here that do live in the city and have a different opinion but I wouldn't want to rely on public transportation only. If you are living out of the city, you will need a car for sure.
Daycare might be a bit of a challenge to find within Wpg, but I am running on rumors here...hoping someone within Wpg can answer this better.

Strategic stream timelines are at the moment: 2 month give or take to be approved for visit. If you have all your documents ready, you can hand them in at the end of a positive interview. Takes about 4-5 months for processing time of PNP. After that you can either find a job and apply for WP (w/o LMO) while applying at the same time for PR...or you can apply for PR and wait until approved (timeline London is at the moment 13 months)..in that case it gets you closer to the 2 years.

and...it is not impossible to be approved for strategic stream with the idea of staying in Wpg...just a bit more challenging (try to connect to immigration centre on Adelaide street ...maybe they can give you hints...although they are more for settlement, once you arrive, responsible). Your job specifics might be good enough to get you granted for Wpg..honestly I don't know. But if you can show them some job openings in Wpg saying this is why I believe I am employable...maybe it does the trick? Keep me posted.

Ilse

NostalgiaLava Aug 31st 2011 5:58 am

thank you!

i started some communication channels with the center you provided and manitoba engineers accredation body. i will wait for the center reply and based on that i will decide what tow rite in my email. i will keep you posted. i just wanted to know if you know whether the startegic initiative is successfull. the reason i ask is that i couldn't find any posting online about people succeeding down that path. though, for me, it looks very straight forward if one reads all the requirements and do a thorough research and spend enough time wirting the cover letter.

Violets are blue Aug 31st 2011 3:44 pm

Hi Im new to the site but have been reading it for a very long time. I have applied for an exploratory visit under the MPNP and had also for the Berlin event. I did not get the Berlin event however did get a reply saying i could try for the exploratory visit. I first applied in May, then for the Berlin event in June, then resent my details - resume etc to an officer called Markus Chambers in June and I probably shouldnt have but sent a reminder/query on my application in July and Markus sent a polite reply and copied it to another officer called Sarah Graham Leon. Now i am waiting for a reply on whether the visit will be granted. I am hoping to go in September as thats when my leave from work is, however its very close now and I am not sure whether to make contact again with them or just push my leave from work back a bit. The process was easy so far, I just sent my resume, some certificates, a personal statement and covering letter. The reply had said that they were overwhelmed with applications. Any advice on this and the MPNP would be very much appreciated. Im really hoping to get the exploratory visit but just dont know if its possible to do anything more or how long it will take?

NostalgiaLava Aug 31st 2011 7:21 pm

Good to hear someone got positive feedback! Not to intrude, but would appreciate if you can let me know what is your assessed occupation and to which community you applied? Just trying to understand how the assessing officer considers.

Thx