International Experience Canada

Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

twist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by orly
I'd suspect they've not tested it all with any volume.
If only analytics where freely available!
Old Jan 14th 2013, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Mike111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate
Hi + Welcome to this discussion forum!

I don't know a lot about US immigration law. But, I'm pretty sure I have read in numerous places that it's a condition that if you enter the US on the VWP by plane, you need ESTA and you need a return flight booked.
This is going to sound ridiculous to any level headed individual with common sense, but I actually think you could be much better off doing the following.

Initially, fly from GB in to any major Canadian airport close to the US border. (Trudeau/Pearson/Vancouver) Then cross the US border by foot at a land border or on a Greyhound bus or a train.
The advantage here is if you cross into the US at the US/Canadian border and not on a plane then you don't need return travel booked.
Then, have an internal flight from NYC of Seattle, booked to take you to your destination in the US. Though when you cross the border into Canada, there's no need to mention that you're doing the IEC when you get back to Canada, especially if you don't have the visa or even LOI yet to back that up.

Another option would be to also fly to a major Canadian airport, but then have a connecting flight straight from that airport into the US.
The advantage of this is that if for the Canada-US leg of your journey you book a return flight, as far as the US is concerned, you're only travelling from Canada and so you have a return flight from your place of departure. I.e. You fulfill the VWP requirement of having a return flight booked.
But the real advantage of this option, is that all major Canadian airports have this thing called US pre-clearance facilities. Basically, there are US immigration officers stationed in the Canadian airport and they do all the checks to let you into the US before you leave Canadian territory.
This is excellent for two reasons:

1) Because the US immigration officers are operating on Canadian sovereign territory, they have NO right to detain you for 20 hours or force search you or any of that nonsense- all they can do deny you boarding (very unlikely if you have a return flight booked as you will meet all requirements)

2) They cannot put you on a plane back to the UK either. At the very worst (and this would be especially unlikely to happen) you'd have to stay in Canada as tourists until your LOI came through. But the most important thing to note here is not that you can't be sent back to the UK if refused entry, but rather that you would be IMO considerably less likely to be refused entry coming from Canada because by having a return flight booked, you will fulfill the requirements for air travel on the VWP. (visa waiver program) You could just book a return from the GB and not use the return flight but this will probably work out a lot more expensive than flying single to Canada and getting a return flight to the US.

Skyscanner.net is an excellent website for finding cheap return fares around North America. For the initial single flight to Canada I'd say Air Transat will be very cheap, I found a ticket for May for £179 London/Montreal.

Or you could initially use the US pre-clearance facility at Dublin, though this option is less favourable as whereas it guarantees you won't be detained or need to be flown back to Europe if you are refused entry, you will still have the issue of a return flight, increasing your chances of being refused entry.

It's good you're thinking about this ahead of time as flying directly from GB to the US on a single ticket creates a good chance of refused entry.
Good luck!

I think it is, but why would you want to? (I don't think any menthod of transferring GBP into Canadian account whilst still overseas will give you a favourable exchange rate) Nothing. You as the main applicant have to list each of your immediate family members such as parents and siblings, state their profession and confirm if they will or will not be accompanying you to Canada and give your signature for each family member you put on the sheet. But you're required to do it all yourself they're not required to do anything.

You're welcome!
Thank you so much for the in-depth response, it really is much appreciated! Ill certainly keep the forum up to date with whichever method we use and how well it works…

Ill need to look into it, but I believe going to Canada first and then heading into the US - and then going back to Canada again - will be much more expensive than going direct to California. Plus, I would have thought that the Canada Border Agency wouldn't be too happy on letting us in on one-way tickets without plans in Canada?

Maybe what would be best would be to have return tickets to the US. They don't seem to be much more expensive than singles from what I’ve seen so far. We could book the return flights 7 months down the line, and explain that we intend to stay in the US for 6 weeks to start and then the rest of the time in Canada (we can get 6 months as tourists in Canada anyway?) before heading back to Cali for our flights back to the UK. Then once were in Canada under the IEC scheme we could cancel/change the return flight nearer the time. Or would we need those return flights within the 90 day VWP time limit? We could still cancel them and go to Canada with our LOIs. Presumeably we wouldn’t be breaking any ‘over staying our visa’ rules because they would have details of us going on to Canada on their system?

Originally Posted by orly
If you use services like CurrencyFair or HiFx to transfer funds from the UK to a CAD account you can get a very favourable rate.
Thanks for the tips, Ill certainly check them out and see what rates they give.
Originally Posted by stuartancell17
Yes, they will just use your UK address as your fixed address. Best idea is to go in to a branch when you get there takes about 10 mins and they can give you a debit card there and then, so you dont need a mailing address to get it sent to. I'm with BMO thats what they did, but could be different with other banks. However I cant remember if you need your SIN number first or not.
Thanks for the info! Presumably you then just transfer the money via online banking to the account, via one of the services orly mentioned earlier. Having an account their would give better access and more security, so you wouldn’t have £2000+ sat in an account.

Thanks again everyone, Mike
Old Jan 14th 2013, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

kirbzzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'M ON TENTERHOOKS!!! any ideas when the 2013 application will open?

so excited but feeling anxious and impatient!!!

Old Jan 14th 2013, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirbzzz
I'M ON TENTERHOOKS!!! any ideas when the 2013 application will open?

so excited but feeling anxious and impatient!!!

It will open some time between now and the end of the year. Keep checking the IEC website.
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ex.aspx?view=d
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:08 pm
Never Live to Regret

staceyhall71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope this hasnt already been answered but i cant find it

Can us Brits apply for the conditional acceptance letter (DFAIT) now using the online system ???? and then fill full application in when it opens? As iv been online done the 'Come to Canada' wizard and received a code which says to use that when applying for the permit?
So confusing
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

pitt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate
364 days or less!
Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

RickD is an unknown quantity at this point

Just though I'd give a quick update to everyone. I arrived in Canada on 28th December and was massively shocked at how quickly immigration issued me with a wor permit. The officer didn't check ANY of my docs, not even my welcome letter (I'm assuming that he had my details on some sort of system). Not saying that this is the case for everyone who enters under IEC, but I have to say I was expecting a more detailed check considering that when I entered on my passport last year for an extended stay I had my laptop and phone examined by immigration.

Anyways, I have a quick question regarding appling for 2013, I received my police certificate back, however I sent off for it from the UK and it has my last address in the UK on it. I am now in Canada and will be applying for my second year from here, which address should I use when completing the application form?
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Dandaman1 is on a distinguished road

From International Experience Canada Germany:

"Please note the following changes:

The 2013 International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative is anticipated to start as of mid-January 2013. We will post all the information necessary to apply on this website at that time."

If the UK programme runs on a similar timeline, we should hopefully be expecting the application process to open soon.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

empirestate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dandaman1
From International Experience Canada Germany:

"Please note the following changes:

The 2013 International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative is anticipated to start as of mid-January 2013. We will post all the information necessary to apply on this website at that time."

If the UK programme runs on a similar timeline, we should hopefully be expecting the application process to open soon.
Well it's been the "Coming weeks" since the end of November lol, I dont think we can expect anything other than 2013 haha.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

yeastery is on a distinguished road

Just had a thought.. maybe they are staggering the IEC programs this year so as to not put too much strain on the new online application system.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike111
Thank you so much for the in-depth response, it really is much appreciated! Ill certainly keep the forum up to date with whichever method we use and how well it works…

Ill need to look into it, but I believe going to Canada first and then heading into the US - and then going back to Canada again - will be much more expensive than going direct to California. Plus, I would have thought that the Canada Border Agency wouldn't be too happy on letting us in on one-way tickets without plans in Canada?
If just transiting through Canada with an onward ticket to the US you wouldn't have any issues at all with Canadian immigration.
Maybe what would be best would be to have return tickets to the US. They don't seem to be much more expensive than singles from what I’ve seen so far. We could book the return flights 7 months down the line, and explain that we intend to stay in the US for 6 weeks to start and then the rest of the time in Canada (we can get 6 months as tourists in Canada anyway?) before heading back to Cali for our flights back to the UK. Then once were in Canada under the IEC scheme we could cancel/change the return flight nearer the time. Or would we need those return flights within the 90 day VWP time limit?
Having a return flight outside the 90 day limit even if you'd be in Canada ahead of the flight, I think is too risky irrespective of the fact that with almost every other country on this Earth it would never be an issue. The US is just very strict with strange rules, there would simply be a fair chance they'd refuse you entry there and then and have you flown out on your airline's next departure to the UK. Watch this video as an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iap04VxoDsw

What prices have you got so far? You should be able to find a £300 single flight to Canada and then a £200 return flight from Canada to the USA quite easily...

If you are going for the return flight from the UK option I don't know a lot about it but maybe you'd need to book two singles in order for the "return" single flight to be refundable? Just a thought...

We could still cancel them and go to Canada with our LOIs. Presumeably we wouldn’t be breaking any ‘over staying our visa’ rules because they would have details of us going on to Canada on their system?
Correct, once you've done your holidaying in the States and entered Canada you're sorted. British and other VWP country citizens sometimes have problems gaining re-admission into the USA and if you're planning to then go back inthe the USA a second time within or even outside of 90 days there is advice about it from the British government here under "Entry Requirements".

Last edited by BritishExpatriate; Jan 14th 2013 at 11:31 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:16 am
Just Joined

miffy85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RickD
Just though I'd give a quick update to everyone. I arrived in Canada on 28th December and was massively shocked at how quickly immigration issued me with a wor permit. The officer didn't check ANY of my docs, not even my welcome letter (I'm assuming that he had my details on some sort of system). Not saying that this is the case for everyone who enters under IEC, but I have to say I was expecting a more detailed check considering that when I entered on my passport last year for an extended stay I had my laptop and phone examined by immigration.

Anyways, I have a quick question regarding appling for 2013, I received my police certificate back, however I sent off for it from the UK and it has my last address in the UK on it. I am now in Canada and will be applying for my second year from here, which address should I use when completing the application form?
Hiya,

You need to use your Canadian address. You will need to provide 2 forms of proof of address, as per their list. I was able to use a letter from my employer and rental agreement.
I applied for and received my new police certificate in December, in anticipation of the programme opening the same time as last year...Eager Beaver.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 9:00 am
Just Joined

ro616 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm confused about the changes to the application process - hope it's cleared up when they release the 2013 visas. Shame it's looking doubtful we'll be getting 24 month ones too.

Question about travel insurance. I'm going to be in Vancouver (leaving next week!!) and would like to have a go at some skiing. The insurance quotes I'm getting for winter sports are £500+ for a year, but without winter cover they're about £100. Would it be possible / legal to buy two insurance policies, one with winter cover for a couple of months, and one without for a year? It'd be a heck of a lot cheaper.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Jennika is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't see why not..? What insurance companies are you looking at where you get £100? The cheapest I can seem to find anywhere is Sainsburys for £200
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

ro616 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jennika
I don't see why not..? What insurance companies are you looking at where you get £100? The cheapest I can seem to find anywhere is Sainsburys for £200
I did a search using moneysupermarket. The cheapest 1 year insurance worldwide including canada was £112 by insure&go light - haven't actually looked at the policy document to see what that includes and it probably makes a difference depending on your age - I'm 29

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.