International Experience Canada

Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

hopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by ro616
I did a search using moneysupermarket. The cheapest 1 year insurance worldwide including canada was £112 by insure&go light - haven't actually looked at the policy document to see what that includes and it probably makes a difference depending on your age - I'm 29
I did the same and got a quote for £107.81 with Insure&Go, excluding cancellations (but including baggage). I think that's about what I paid for last year's insurance too! Not bad!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Jennika is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah yeah using money supermarket I get that too (though not when I go direct to the website..hmm) thanks!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

acrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond repute

insure & go quoted me £57

I did worldwide inc USA annual multitrip and I'm an 18 y/o male
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Mike111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate
If just transiting through Canada with an onward ticket to the US you wouldn't have any issues at all with Canadian immigration.
Could that be in the form of a bus or plane tickets a few days later do you think, or would it be literally just transiting through the airport? (i.e. not clearing customs etc)

Having a return flight outside the 90 day limit even if you'd be in Canada ahead of the flight, I think is too risky irrespective of the fact that with almost every other country on this Earth it would never be an issue. The US is just very strict with strange rules, there would simply be a fair chance they'd refuse you entry there and then and have you flown out on your airline's next departure to the UK. Watch this video as an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iap04VxoDsw

What prices have you got so far? You should be able to find a £300 single flight to Canada and then a £200 return flight from Canada to the USA quite easily...

If you are going for the return flight from the UK option I don't know a lot about it but maybe you'd need to book two singles in order for the "return" single flight to be refundable? Just a thought...
So far we've been able to get single flights to San Francisco for £420 and about £480 return (with return flight within 90 day period). Thats using sky scanner.net and travelsupermarket.
Singles to Vancouver using the same sites are looking about £400.
And then return from Vancouver to San Francisco is about £230.

(Although these are all just rough estimates because without know approx when we will have LOIs in hand its difficult to get specific. I definitely need to do more research on how to find cheaper flights too)

So to me, the cheapest option would be to buy return flights to San Francisco, then head up to Vancouver when we're finished holidaying in Cali on the Greyhound bus (approx £80), or fly (approx £100) with our LOIs, and cancel the return flight to the UK. That all sounds reasonably safe for getting through all necessary customs etc too eh?

Correct, once you've done your holidaying in the States and entered Canada you're sorted. British and other VWP country citizens sometimes have problems gaining re-admission into the USA and if you're planning to then go back inthe the USA a second time within or even outside of 90 days there is advice about it from the British government here under "Entry Requirements".
The information on the link there is interesting but a little disappointing...I didnt realise that time spent in Canada adds to the 90 days your given - I thought that the amount of days you spend in Canada/Mexico etc didnt matter and when you re-entered the US you resumed where you left off...How does the 90 day VWP time get re-set then?

Presumably that also means when residing in Canada under the IEC scheme if you were to visit the US for, as an example, 4 days in early July, you would be able to go again for a few days/weeks but only up to 90 days after you first visited the US. i.e. not after early October?

Its all abit confusing this immigration and visa stuff, but thanks for all the advice! Really is great
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

pitt is an unknown quantity at this point

Do we must get travel insurance?
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

twist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pitt
Ja
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you want the visa, then yes. You must have travel insurance covering the year, and it must include repatration - have a look at the FAQ on the IEC webpage.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

pitt is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody answered my other question btw.

Soon as the IEC opens, what documents i need to send to them apart from my police certificate? Im still not sure

Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

twist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond repute

Soon as the IEC opens, what documents i need to send to them apart from my police certificate? Im still not sure

Thanks
Well it is all going electronic this year, so it is unclear how we will even send the police certificate at this point. It will need to be sent in the first stage of application but whether a scan is acceptable or not we don't know.

Other than that you don't need to send anything off with your app apart from payment.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:40 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Might change but in previous years, from memory, I supplied the application, police check, a few photos, and an up to date CV
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

sootie17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by orly
Might change but in previous years, from memory, I supplied the application, police check, a few photos, and an up to date CV
Did you change your CV to be like a Canadian Resume or just send it as a CV?

I sent off for my Police Check on Friday and I've literally just received an email from them confirming that they've received my request

Is there anything else that anyone would recommend doing/getting together so that I'm ready for when the visas are released?
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Mike111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sootie17
Did you change your CV to be like a Canadian Resume or just send it as a CV?

Is there anything else that anyone would recommend doing/getting together so that I'm ready for when the visas are released?
Id also be interested to see how people have sent their CVs in the past...

If I remember rightly from last year to send with the application it was - police check, 2 colour passport sized photos, an up to date CV and 2 photocopies of the information/photograph in your passport...of course this could all change this year with a new application procedure...
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike111
Could that be in the form of a bus or plane tickets a few days later do you think, or would it be literally just transiting through the airport? (i.e. not clearing customs etc)
I personally can't see any problem with that. Canadian immigration officers aren't as bound by strange rules as US immigration officers are. Therefore, whether you're transiting without going through customs or if you're transiting and staying for a few days, I think generally this is all fine in Canada as long as you can show proof of funds to pay for your stay, etc.
So far we've been able to get single flights to San Francisco for £420 and about £480 return (with return flight within 90 day period). Thats using sky scanner.net and travelsupermarket.
Singles to Vancouver using the same sites are looking about £400.
And then return from Vancouver to San Francisco is about £230.

(Although these are all just rough estimates because without know approx when we will have LOIs in hand its difficult to get specific. I definitely need to do more research on how to find cheaper flights too)

So to me, the cheapest option would be to buy return flights to San Francisco, then head up to Vancouver when we're finished holidaying in Cali on the Greyhound bus (approx £80), or fly (approx £100) with our LOIs, and cancel the return flight to the UK. That all sounds reasonably safe for getting through all necessary customs etc too eh?
Yeah that all sounds fine. You were right to check up on this before planning your travels- as long as you're aware of these rules concerning transit/travel in the US then I think you'll be fine either way you do it.

The information on the link there is interesting but a little disappointing...I didnt realise that time spent in Canada adds to the 90 days your given - I thought that the amount of days you spend in Canada/Mexico etc didnt matter and when you re-entered the US you resumed where you left off...How does the 90 day VWP time get re-set then?
Actually I believe if you're resident in Canada the rules may be different. You can look here for advice on entering the US specifically from Canada on the VWP.
Presumably that also means when residing in Canada under the IEC scheme if you were to visit the US for, as an example, 4 days in early July, you would be able to go again for a few days/weeks but only up to 90 days after you first visited the US. i.e. not after early October?
You'll see the rule if you follow the link above which says something about the balance of your stay in the US, I don't fully understand it, I think it means if you spend 3 weeks in the US you have to spend 3 weeks in Canada before you can start another VWP. But then normally when you enter on the VWP from Canada even if you're just going for 1 day, they stamp you for 90 days, so I really don't understand- If anyone know the rule and is reading this please feel free to explain it to me!
Its all abit confusing this immigration and visa stuff, but thanks for all the advice! Really is great
You're welcome! I hope it all goes to plan for you and that you enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:01 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

I was just looking at the Chile IEC page which says the following for the Police Certificate

"Original Police Certificate, (one month validity)"

I take it this means your certificate is valid for one month after it was issued?
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

hryatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help on the below please:

I'm currently on my 1st IEC and this expires on 27th March 2013 and obviously the new IEC process has not even started, so i'm getting a bit stressed! I didn't think it would take this long as the IEC for 2012 was released Dec 2011 so i'd figure i'd have plenty of time.

I have my police certificates ready.

Is there any back up plans I could use in case there is a delay in the new IEC process?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank You
Harj

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.