Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:01 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by mattieuk
I had no luck renewing (I believe the policy terms had changed, and it was not possible to just renew - you had to take out a new policy, which as a non resident of the UK, I struggled with).

I had to go with the slightly more expensive World Nomads - who seem to be one of the 'go to' companies for Brits in Canada looking to take out insurance.
Awesome Matt, thank you. I did manage to get ours extended quite easily for a further 6 months with our original insurer and for quite a cheap price ($230 for a couple for 6 months) but they couldn't take it any longer than that so I will just need to get an additional policy from someone like Nomads to cover the rest of the time.

Really appreciate that help, thanks again.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

Hey DigitalGhost, my original cover is with Down Under and I THINK they allow you to either extend or be out of the country when starting the policy. It's one of those options because that's why I took out their policy in the first place.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:10 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Third6
Hey DigitalGhost, my original cover is with Down Under and I THINK they allow you to either extend or be out of the country when starting the policy. It's one of those options because that's why I took out their policy in the first place.
Thanks, I've seen them on moneysupermarket.com so I'll look into them today and see what I can find.

Much appreciated.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Thanks, I've seen them on moneysupermarket.com so I'll look into them today and see what I can find.

Much appreciated.
No worries. I'm about to make a claim with them so I'll see if they were worth it haha.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:15 am
Sidecar Falcon

No worries. I'm about to make a claim with them so I'll see if they were worth it haha.
Good luck with that.

I have only ever claimed on travel insurance successfully once for a medical emergency that I experienced whilst on a family holiday in Europe and even then they didn't pay the whole amount and my parents footed the rest of the bill.

Fortunately, I was eligible for OHIP 3 months after arriving in Canada so I haven't needed my insurance policy at all, but unfortunately the damn thing is an immigration requirement in this country and at least it's good to know it's there I suppose anyway.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Good luck with that.

I have only ever claimed on travel insurance successfully once for a medical emergency that I experienced whilst on a family holiday in Europe and even then they didn't pay the whole amount and my parents footed the rest of the bill.

Fortunately, I was eligible for OHIP 3 months after arriving in Canada so I haven't needed my insurance policy at all, but unfortunately the damn thing is an immigration requirement in this country and at least it's good to know it's there I suppose anyway.
I was just about to apply for OHIP then my bloody passport and work permit were stolen! I'm claiming for the cost of a new passport and the money that was stolen from me, if they wont pay out my mum will have to foot the bill.

p.s. Did you include a copy of your cirrent work permnit with your application?? (Yes, I'm asking everyone...sorry!!!)

Last edited by Third6; Jan 5th 2012 at 5:30 am.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:40 am
Sidecar Falcon

I was just about to apply for OHIP then my bloody passport and work permit were stolen! I'm claiming for the cost of a new passport and the money that was stolen from me, if they wont pay out my mum will have to foot the bill.

p.s. Did you include a copy of your cirrent work permnit with your application?? (Yes, I'm asking everyone...sorry!!!)
Which application, the OHIP application or an application for IEC? I haven't filed an application for IEC this year yet, I am still waiting to hear back from ACPO but I have another permit to activate from last year within the next couple of months.

You shouldn't have too much trouble claiming for a stolen passport unless they can prove that you were negligent but claiming for cash could be more difficult I would have thought since it is open to interpretation and that is never a good thing when dealing with any kind of customer service rep in the UK from my experience.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Which application, the OHIP application or an application for IEC? I haven't filed an application for IEC this year yet, I am still waiting to hear back from ACPO but I have another permit to activate from last year within the next couple of months.

You shouldn't have too much trouble claiming for a stolen passport unless they can prove that you were negligent but claiming for cash could be more difficult I would have thought since it is open to interpretation and that is never a good thing when dealing with any kind of customer service rep in the UK from my experience.
I meant your IEC application but OHIP require that too, right?

Well I filed a police report saying my whole purse was stolen and I can prove on the day of the theft I removed money from my bank account so I'm atually not lying haha. I think the amount I said on the police report is actually less than what was in my purse.

Anyway, my ACPO forms are currently on their way back to Scotland for my mum to get the photo countersigned and write a British cheque but they went via land back in November because I put them in with some xmas gifts. They've still not arrived

There's a copy of my old stolen passport in there so I was just gonna apply for the police check with that, would save time having to wait for my new passport to come through and then wait for the police check again. I dunno if th police check will fla up that the passport was reported stolen though...
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:05 am
Sidecar Falcon

There's a copy of my old stolen passport in there so I was just gonna apply for the police check with that, would save time having to wait for my new passport to come through and then wait for the police check again. I dunno if th police check will fla up that the passport was reported stolen though...
I think only ACPO can answer that question. They are usually pretty good at answering the phone though if you want to call them.

OHIP was a lot more simple than I expected to be honest. You just need to have been resident for 3 months with a valid work permit and a job offer of more than 30 hours a week for at least 6 months (and that 6 months can include the months you have already worked). You just present it at the Service Ontario counter, they take your picture and then give you a letter so you are covered straight away. The photo card then arrives a couple of weeks later in the post.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

I have a feeling their answer will be no haha. I might just chance my luck and see what happens. I can have my brother email me a copy of the photocopy of the old passport for the IEC cause I know they will accept the police check of a different passport if I just have a copy of the old passport and a copy of the new one and explain what happened.

I will defininitely be looking into OHIP when I get this sorry mess sorted out.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:38 am
Sidecar Falcon

I have a feeling their answer will be no haha. I might just chance my luck and see what happens. I can have my brother email me a copy of the photocopy of the old passport for the IEC cause I know they will accept the police check of a different passport if I just have a copy of the old passport and a copy of the new one and explain what happened.

I will defininitely be looking into OHIP when I get this sorry mess sorted out.
It will definitely be worth it and will make your life easier if only because it's a solid piece of ID in Ontario and you can register with a local family doctor. You are paying for it through your provincial taxes as well if you're working so why not take advantage of it if it's available.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:48 am
Sidecar Falcon

I've looked into the two companies which were mentioned in this thread. DownUnder does seem to cover people already overseas as long as they have pre-approval from them first. World Nomads is damn expensive (nearly £240 for 6 months) but also do seem a lot more relaxed on the rules and there are quite a few promo codes around to save you at least a bit of money.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 5th 2012 at 6:59 am.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

leafsfan1 is an unknown quantity at this point

The IEC page has been updated

Working HolidayQuota: 5,350
Working Holiday places remaining: 5,232
Updated: 05/01/2012
118 places gone

Anybody still waiting on a email ?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by leafsfan1
The IEC page has been updated

118 places gone

Anybody still waiting on a email ?
I thought there would have been much more gone by now. They only processed 34 from the previous total on 22nd Dec.

Tim
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:52 am
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CANorBUST
Yes, I think that's the way that I am going to go as well. World Nomads is more expensive but I can't find extensions to my policy unless I went back to England to renew mine.
You'd probably have to go back to England for a significant period of time (I don't think a quick week's vacation would suffice).

Most insurance policies state you have to be a resident of the UK to purchase, rather than just being in the country.

Companies like Nomads (well I don't know any others) seem to be the only option unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.