Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Express Entry Scores and Progress Thread

Express Entry Scores and Progress Thread

Old Apr 16th 2015, 9:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express Entry Scores and Progress Thread

Originally Posted by Wheatpack
Very few candidates will be above 400.
I would disagree with that personally, just those applying under PNP alone will have far more than that (as you get 600 points for a provincial nomination). That's around 50,000 people per year alone.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Degs3112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, but what PMM hasn't stated doesn't contradict that. You told him he was wrong, but you've misread what he said as he never stated that you wouldn't be eligible for FST/CEC.

HTH.
I see where I misread now. Sorry about that! But the relevance of PMM's 1st message beats me then as I never mentioned anything about the skilled worker, it was the trade worker and experience class I mentioned.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Wheatpack is an unknown quantity at this point

I would disagree with that personally, just those applying under PNP alone will have far more than that (as you get 600 points for a provincial nomination). That's around 50,000 people per year alone.
Thanks for correcting me. I was not aware that its such a huge number 50k who come via PNP. Then <350 looks hard.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 9:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for correcting me. I was not aware that its such a huge number 50k who come via PNP. Then <350 looks hard.
They did last year anyway (it was something like 44,000 by October, so I'm guessing at 50,000 with the rest of the year).

Add on those on temp work permits (over 85,000 issued last year), although a lot of those won't be eligible for FSW/CEC/FST as they're working in unskilled jobs, but it's still going to be a fairly big number that would be eligible to apply who are already working in Canada and can get those extra 600 points.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 9:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Degs3112
I see where I misread now. Sorry about that! But the relevance of PMM's 1st message beats me then as I never mentioned anything about the skilled worker, it was the trade worker and experience class I mentioned.
Still useful info for any others reading though, whether it was relevant to you or not I suspect PMM just thought it might be helpful.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Wheatpack is an unknown quantity at this point

They did last year anyway (it was something like 44,000 by October, so I'm guessing at 50,000 with the rest of the year).
I had a look at the immigration stats, it seems everything counts under the bucket of immigration quota i.e. 260k.. refugees, family reunification, pnp, everything makes up that 260K. So actually FSW is only ~50k and I think they count dependents as well towards the quota.

By that logic, actually is only ~10-15k unique applications for FSW which actually make into Canada from overseas.

Now I am pretty certain, the threshold won't budge much. May be 420. What I was thinking to be 200K is only 20K
Old Apr 16th 2015, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Its very hard to score 400 without Canadian job, education or top score in IELTS. Very few candidates will be above 400. They are never going to meet their quotas of 100k per year, if they don't drop it down 350.

350 won't surprise me as they need to issue 5k-10k ITAs per month if they need to meet quota of annual migrant intake.
Maybe I'm wrong with my thinking, but if I was in charge of Canadian immigration, I would be looking to bring two types of people in:

1. People with jobs in demand. Hopefully these people are so in demand that getting a job, and an LMIA/PNP isn't too much of a challenge, and they receive the 600pts bonus, putting them well above 400.

2. Young, skilled, educated workers who show an ability to settle in Canada, and have potential to work in well paid, skilled positions. These people might not be working in the in demand areas, and may not get a job offer very easily (prior to PR), but, their education, skill, age and Canadian work experience will get them above 400pts.

Think about it, why would a country want to bring in anyone other than the in demand, or the high-potential candidates? I know it's brutal, but you have to look at it like that. I don't consider myself high-potential, but I do have a lot of what they are looking for. Hence why I consider 400-450 being borderline.

Of course that's just my opinion, but I don't see why CIC are going to just start bringing in anyone just to meet their quota.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute

I have somewhere 387 i think it was. Do you still need to have at least 67 out of 100 to qualify for the FSW? I read something about it, but not sure how up to date that was as I clicked on a link and seen that information. But when I search the CIC website and look under FSW for Express Entry, I can't find this bit of info again.
I have a one year postgrad diploma, but not sure if this will make any difference to my education points, or is it just my degree (4years) that will count?
Old Apr 16th 2015, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

On my phone right now, so cba getting the link, plus I've already posted it about 5 times on various threads. You still need 67/100. Just google 'six selection factors FSW' and it should bring it up.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Prolifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond repute

Could someone answer this question for me: If I apply through Express entry as a FSW (holding 450-500 points) and either before or after receiving my ITA I get provincial nomination, would those 600 points be added to my previous 450-500 points or would I have to make a separate application for PR with the newly received provincial nomination?
Old Apr 17th 2015, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prolifix
Could someone answer this question for me: If I apply through Express entry as a FSW (holding 450-500 points) and either before or after receiving my ITA I get provincial nomination, would those 600 points be added to my previous 450-500 points or would I have to make a separate application for PR with the newly received provincial nomination?
If it's a new Provincial Nominee application, I'm not sure, but I assume once you've got an ITA you won't get any more points, so you would need to create a new Profile.

If it is a non-Express Entry-specific Provincial Nominee application, the Nomination will say that it cannot be used for Express Entry anyway.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 5:55 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by withabix
If it's a new Provincial Nominee application, I'm not sure, but I assume once you've got an ITA you won't get any more points, so you would need to create a new Profile.

If it is a non-Express Entry-specific Provincial Nominee application, the Nomination will say that it cannot be used for Express Entry anyway.
1. Secondly, once you have the ITA, whats the point of creating another profile? If you documents are accepted your in, an increased point total does nothing for an approved ITA.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Another draw last night...

715 ITAs sent out, lowest score was 453.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but that's two small draws in a row now, keeping the score above 450. Some of the previous draws have been almost double, and now we are down to lower scores, the draws are smaller.

My guess is that they are deciding the lowest score they want to admit, and then drawing the number of people that are above that score, rather than picking a number of ITAs to send out, and seeing how low the score goes.

Being 9pts off is excruciating. I have experienced such a rollercoaster of emotions with this process. Sometimes you feel really positive, other times it just seems to kick you down. Sigh.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Degs3112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got an ITA after sending my application on Monday with a score of 896. Just waiting for the last of my documents to arrive from Scotland then my PR application will be sent off!
Old Apr 18th 2015, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kswoosh
My guess is that they are deciding the lowest score they want to admit, and then drawing the number of people that are above that score, rather than picking a number of ITAs to send out, and seeing how low the score goes.
I would assume that to be the case as we are only 3 and a half months in to Express Entry and it was supposed to be a pre-screening method that pre-selected candidates that Canada wants/needs, using a scoring system for potential employers to the select from to satisfy unfillable recruitment needs, rather than bringing any old Tom, Dick or Harry in on the next available flight as an excuse not to employ Canadians.

They will also be measuring the net flow through the pool and winter is a slow tie for recruitment usually. Recruitment probably goes up at this time of the year as things warm up and Eastern Canada thaws out. Some areas will be seeing an employment decline as well.

If the pool starts emptying, then I guess the score threshold would go down further.

There will presumably still be a fairly large group of people who are waiting for language test results (a quick look at CELPIP website suggests 2 month waits for tests in some areas right now, which is double what it was when I booked mine) and ECAs to be scored.

Last edited by withabix; Apr 18th 2015 at 1:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.