Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Commona Law partner and proof thereof

Commona Law partner and proof thereof

Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

sprucemoose is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Commona Law partner and proof thereof

Originally Posted by tashmb
i have spoke to a few solicitors and have found only one who is willing to sign or write up a declaration without knowing us both for 2years and he said it would be £150 to draw one up and £5 to sign it but he cant do both.
he wasnt very helpfull telling me how i could get one drawn up without a solicitor. i am very confused.
We completed the common-law declaration, and that is the only form that you need - no documents need to be drawn up. The idea is that a commissioner of oaths meets you both in person, confirms you are who you say you are (show passports) and then gets you both to swear that you are in a common-law relationship and that's all they need to confirm. They don't have to be given any evidence. It cost us approximately $20.

The main thing to remember is that you're trying to prove you've been in a conjugal relationship for 6 years, rather than just simply living together. I don't believe you need stacks of proof, especially not flimsy evidence like old greetings cards etc, you just need some watertight evidence that spans back a few years. Shared finances, life insurance, spousal medical insurance, etc are all excellent.