British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Commona Law partner and proof thereof (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/commona-law-partner-proof-thereof-599801/)

oicur0t Mar 25th 2009 11:09 am

Commona Law partner and proof thereof

In my checklist and in all of my forms there is no reference to providing proof of my relationship status (we'll be together for 6 years in April). We have lived together for 6 years in June. We do not have a joint bank account and no property in both names as this has not been necessary. We share the household bills so none are in both names; some in hers some in mine. This can gives us proof of address for our time together, but nothing more.

Has anyone any experience of having to proof the relationship? Is it necessary? At the moment I am sure it is but with no reference to providing this information at the moment I am unsure. I would like to send this information off with all of my documentation to save time if it is needed.

Thanks.

MarkSurrey Mar 25th 2009 11:45 am

Re: Commona Law partner and proof thereof

The CIC Guidance does say that proof of common law status should be included with the application forms, but you're right that the London Appendix A doesn't mention this. I would include them anyway.

If you haven't got much in the way of official paperwork, I would send what you have (so at least you can prove you've been living at the same address) and maybe get a couple of letters from people who know you to say that you have been in a relationship and not just flatmates. Ideally this would be from someone in a position of responsibility - a lawyer, policeman or doctor maybe.

We have a joint mortgage and a joint savings account, which I am hoping will be enough to prove our status.

Good luck.

oicur0t Mar 25th 2009 11:50 am

Originally Posted by MarkSurrey (Post 7417536)
The CIC Guidance does say that proof of common law status should be included with the application forms, but you're right that the London Appendix A doesn't mention this. I would include them anyway.

If you haven't got much in the way of official paperwork, I would send what you have (so at least you can prove you've been living at the same address) and maybe get a couple of letters from people who know you to say that you have been in a relationship and not just flatmates. Ideally this would be from someone in a position of responsibility - a lawyer, policeman or doctor maybe.

We have a joint mortgage and a joint savings account, which I am hoping will be enough to prove our status.

Good luck.

I don't know any lawyers, doctors or policemen. I know some important people in business. Company directors and such like. I have a life insurance policy that is several years old that states her as the beneficiary. I think she may be listed as my partner on that. I am presuming that would help.

oicur0t Mar 25th 2009 11:54 am

Just checked. I took out the policy in July '06. She is listed as my partner and we were living at the same address.

pip_is_fab Mar 25th 2009 12:32 pm

yep, include the life insurance certificate. Also some form of rent book, we are going the same route and we rent from our employer so they have written a letter stating period we have lived together etc. Also included 3 letters from friends and colleaguesbasically saying they have know us aas a couple inside and out of work etc.
You could include car insurance policy if she is listed as a partner/named driver.

MarkSurrey Mar 25th 2009 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by oicur0t (Post 7417557)
Just checked. I took out the policy in July '06. She is listed as my partner and we were living at the same address.

I'm sure that would definitely help.

oicur0t Mar 25th 2009 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab (Post 7417676)
yep, include the life insurance certificate. Also some form of rent book, we are going the same route and we rent from our employer so they have written a letter stating period we have lived together etc. Also included 3 letters from friends and colleaguesbasically saying they have know us aas a couple inside and out of work etc.
You could include car insurance policy if she is listed as a partner/named driver.

Sadly we took out our joint credit card and joint insurance on the car q3 last year. I will see if I can get something from my previous employer. The directors there have know her for the 5 1/2 years.

Kaye. Mar 25th 2009 2:59 pm

I think there are quite a few people on here have been through this, IIRC they went overboard with things to try to prove the relationship so that there was no way CIC wouldn't believe it. I.e. photos of trips, Xmas cards, bills, insurance policies.
Hopefully someone who has been through this will be along soon to help.

Kaye. Mar 25th 2009 3:11 pm

you might find this thread helpful

oicur0t Mar 25th 2009 3:28 pm

thanks, looks like a 'statutory declaration' may be in order.

BritBob Mar 25th 2009 3:46 pm

When we did ours, we didn`t have a great deal of documentation to prove our relationship and the fact we had resided together for several years. I had one copy of a joint bank statement, some photos of us together, two letters from two close friends and a rental/lease agreement. We went to see a lawyer and had the "statutory declaration" (as was mentioned) signed and stamped and sent that off too. It doesn`t cost anything to see a lawyer, you just swear under oath.

When I had my CIC interview, the documentation was not even questioned he just said everything seeemed in order and that our relationship seemed genuined - that was it, my AIP was granted and PR was pending my medicals. Of course, our situation is a little different as I applied inland.

rickuk Mar 25th 2009 7:35 pm

Hi, we had to get a statuary declaration form and get it notorised for out TWP, we've been together 8 years.....we included copies of rent agreements etc.....also if you have kids together as we do, both your names will be on birth certificate with a date.

hope this helps

Richard

Paul Wildy Mar 25th 2009 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by oicur0t (Post 7417433)
In my checklist and in all of my forms there is no reference to providing proof of my relationship status (we'll be together for 6 years in April). We have lived together for 6 years in June. We do not have a joint bank account and no property in both names as this has not been necessary. We share the household bills so none are in both names; some in hers some in mine. This can gives us proof of address for our time together, but nothing more.

Has anyone any experience of having to proof the relationship? Is it necessary? At the moment I am sure it is but with no reference to providing this information at the moment I am unsure. I would like to send this information off with all of my documentation to save time if it is needed.

Thanks.

If its a skilled worker application and your common-law partner is an accompanying family member then the relationship will not be scrutinised quite as closely as if it was a Common-Law sponsorship application. However you do still need to sign the Statutory declaration of common-law union and provide some of the evidence types it lists.

Having some household bills in one name and some in another shouldnt be a problem - it still shows that you are living together and have shared responsibility for household expenses which is what they are looking for.

A life insurance policy or a will that names the other as a beneficiary is helpfull too. If you dont have joint bank accounts do you have any joint loans or assets? If you dont own joint property do have a joint rental agreement or lease?

oicur0t Mar 25th 2009 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy (Post 7418977)
If its a skilled worker application and your common-law partner is an accompanying family member then the relationship will not be scrutinised quite as closely as if it was a Common-Law sponsorship application. However you do still need to sign the Statutory declaration of common-law union and provide some of the evidence types it lists.

Having some household bills in one name and some in another shouldnt be a problem - it still shows that you are living together and have shared responsibility for household expenses which is what they are looking for.

A life insurance policy or a will that names the other as a beneficiary is helpfull too. If you dont have joint bank accounts do you have any joint loans or assets? If you dont own joint property do have a joint rental agreement or lease?

I think we can muster up enough. We have a joint credit card, but for the past 6 months or so, bank statements are available for the past 6 years at matching addresses and we both have life insurance policies with each of us named as 'partner' which are from 2006. We have plenty of bills, some in my name some in hers. i believe this may be enough as I am FSW. A statutory declaration should be straight forward enough too.

Thanks everyone.

minimeeze Mar 28th 2009 2:30 pm

We were in a similar situation as we'd been together for 4 years but had nothing in joint names other than a bank account we had opened a few months beforehand. We got the stat declaration signed - the solicitor didn't even ask to see any evidence that we were a couple - and this is the only thing we sent off. No questions were asked and we've now been in Canada since the New Year :)
Good luck with your application!