Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Commona Law partner and proof thereof

Commona Law partner and proof thereof

Old Jun 8th 2009, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Linzania is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Commona Law partner and proof thereof

Hi BritBob,

Just wondering, what things did your friends/relatives put in the letter for CHC? I'm currently in the process of putting together our common law partner visa application and would like to know what kind of info our friends/family should write in letters for us.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by BritBob
When we did ours, we didn`t have a great deal of documentation to prove our relationship and the fact we had resided together for several years. I had one copy of a joint bank statement, some photos of us together, two letters from two close friends and a rental/lease agreement. We went to see a lawyer and had the "statutory declaration" (as was mentioned) signed and stamped and sent that off too. It doesn`t cost anything to see a lawyer, you just swear under oath.

When I had my CIC interview, the documentation was not even questioned he just said everything seeemed in order and that our relationship seemed genuined - that was it, my AIP was granted and PR was pending my medicals. Of course, our situation is a little different as I applied inland.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

glenfiddich is on a distinguished road

For us, we included a copy of our will, life insurance policies, photographs of us together...Do you have anything like that?
Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Hey,

We did a stat declaration of common-law partnership, copies of tenancy agreement, photos from through the years, copies of bills in both names and also a copy of my life assurance naming her.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Alanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant future

My Fiancée came over to Canada and applied for her open work permit at the airport. I wasn't with her, as I had traveled over earlier to start work. We didn't have any rental agreement on the place we were staying in the UK, however we had a joint bank account and a signed declaration form (also UK council tax bills - they obviously didn't know what these were, but brought them anyways). They asked my other half what my date of birth was and were happy with the bank account statements and signed form..
Old Jun 10th 2009, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Linzania is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this. Do any of you have letters from friends/family confirming your relationships? We can get a few of these together np but just wondering how much detail and what exactly for them to include...
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Linzania
Thanks for this. Do any of you have letters from friends/family confirming your relationships? We can get a few of these together np but just wondering how much detail and what exactly for them to include...
I supplied two letters from friends who have know us several years, but to be honest I got the impression from the IO that half my "evidence" was probably not even looked at. Still, it never hurts to send more than you need to.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Alanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant future

My OH had a fair amount of stuff with her. The officer at the airport looked at her signed/notarized common-law declaration form and joint bank statements we provided..

The officer also asked my OH my birth date which she, on the spot, couldn't remember initially
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:31 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

I have double checked the form IMM5409, it looks like any ONE of the sections (1, 2 & 3), if you answer yes once is proof enough. Section 4 only asks for documentary evidence if none of the above sections is true.

If you think about it, the form itself is a solemn oath, signed by a commissioner of oaths. Sounds as much of a legal document as a wedding if you ask me!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

tashmb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alanandson
My OH had a fair amount of stuff with her. The officer at the airport looked at her signed/notarized common-law declaration form and joint bank statements we provided..

The officer also asked my OH my birth date which she, on the spot, couldn't remember initially
i have spoke to a few solicitors and have found only one who is willing to sign or write up a declaration without knowing us both for 2years and he said it would be £150 to draw one up and £5 to sign it but he cant do both.
he wasnt very helpfull telling me how i could get one drawn up without a solicitor. i am very confused.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

My understanding, or certainly what we did, was just get the IM5409 document signed in the space provided at the bottom, once we had filled in the rest. We didn't have anything drawn up.

We then looked through the options on the document; we only had a joint bank account and the fact that I was noted on my OH's life insurance policy out of the options given. (No mortgage or lease agreement, etc).

We noted in the box below (which does actually say something like 'other things if you have none of the above') that we were engaged to be married, but I kind of knew that this meant nout as you could just say that.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

i am sure on how much proof is needed but would like to get as much as possible. my OH has his PR and he is going to sponsor me, so far we have:
joint bank account
names on bills and other letters sent to the same address
we are going to get a will drawn up
letters from family and friends
rental agrement
i have saved all xmas cards wedding invertations ect.... that are addressed to both of us but is that a waste of time as it could easerly be faked?
i also have my own bank account that his wages go into because of his bad credit hisory he couldnt open his own account should i mention that? (we got lucky with the joint account they forgot to do a credit cheque)
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Honestly, with all you've listed above, I think you'd be alright. It's worth seeing if that guy would sign the document for 5 quid though.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

thanks thats made me feel alot more relaxed lol
the only thing that worries me and i might just be being silly but i am 21 and my OH is 23 and i worry that becaues we are younger that we might not be taken as seriously
im sure thats just me thinking to much about it
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

I'm 26 and my OH is 25, and although we've been together for 3 years, we had no evidence really past 1 year, and we had actually only been living together for 13 months, but had no issues when we applied for TWP, and I wasn't even there when my OH arrived.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

thankyou for your help i feel alot better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.