In a canadian passport pickle

Old Jul 7th 2016, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In a canadian passport pickle

Also can I ask if they put me on a visitor visa won't that prevent me from starting my new job on the 15th August?
Old Jul 7th 2016, 9:04 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

steps, the way I would do them. Others may jump in on this

1. Once you are in Canada, day after you arrive, make that application to Ontario on-line Application for the long form BC - in process, you are after all a Canadian

Is it possible to make an application on line while still in the UK giving a Canadian address

2. Over to service Canada with your short form BC & get your SIN card if you don't have one

3. SIN number, short form BC - start work

4. Long form BC arrives, apply for Canadian passport. I would though check with the Canadian passport office in Vancouver day after you arrive about getting a passport since the 'registration of birth' number should be on the small short form BC
Old Jul 7th 2016, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
steps, the way I would do them. Others may jump in on this

1. Once you are in Canada, day after you arrive, make that application to Ontario on-line Application for the long form BC - in process, you are after all a Canadian

Is it possible to make an application on line while still in the UK giving a Canadian address

2. Over to service Canada with your short form BC & get your SIN card if you don't have one

3. SIN number, short form BC - start work

4. Long form BC arrives, apply for Canadian passport. I would though check with the Canadian passport office in Vancouver day after you arrive about getting a passport since the 'registration of birth' number should be on the small short form BC
Cheers for that. So if get to immigration will they still give me a visitor visa for 6mths even though I'm going to be working in that time ?
Old Jul 7th 2016, 9:22 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianInGasgow
Cheers for that. So if get to immigration will they still give me a visitor visa for 6mths even though I'm going to be working in that time ?
here is the kicker...thinking outside the box, it could get complicated (others can jump in on this)

When you are departing the UK going through the final check at the airport & showing your British passport, it has been known that that wont let you board the plane without a return ticket.

Having said that, you could produce the short form Canadian BC, it may work

On arrival in Canada, even though your British passport states place of birth as Canada (you are a Canadian) so you'd think the CBSA person would not refuse you entry. You are arriving on a British travel document, you dont have an old expired Canadian passport - so [it is my guess] you'd enter Canada as a British citizen with a visitor visa entry stamp.

You may have to produce a return ticket to the UK

You likely wouldn't mention you are in Canada to work, for the reason (even though you are Canadian) entry is on a British passport.

You could argue the point (showing your short form Canadian BC) that you are Canadian without a Canadian passport

At this point you may get pulled to one side, Q&A as to what & why, you explaining lost passport application in the UK
Old Jul 7th 2016, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

here is the kicker...thinking outside the box, it could get complicated (others can jump in on this)

When you are departing the UK going through the final check at the airport & showing your British passport, it has been known that that wont let you board the plane without a return ticket.

Having said that, you could produce the short form Canadian BC, it may work

On arrival in Canada, even though your British passport states place of birth as Canada (you are a Canadian) so you'd think the CBSA person would not refuse you entry. You are arriving on a British travel document, you dont have an old expired Canadian passport - so [it is my guess] you'd enter Canada as a British citizen with a visitor visa entry stamp.

You may have to produce a return ticket to the UK

You likely wouldn't mention you are in Canada to work, for the reason (even though you are Canadian) entry is on a British passport.

You could argue the point (showing your short form Canadian BC) that you are Canadian without a Canadian passport

At this point you may get pulled to one side, Q&A as to what & why, you explaining lost passport application in the UK

See this is the thing I really don't want to lie to the CBSA. If I lie and say I'm not working, then they pull me aside and find out i am working there. I'm assuming this will not go down well with them
Old Jul 7th 2016, 9:38 pm
Dichotomus tinker

never lie to the CBSA

I'm no expert, just trying to help solve this using common sense approach

Can you delay your travel until you get a new long form BC & Canadian passport in the UK?

From my previous post you likely will need that return ticket for two reasons..

1.You likely wont be allowed to board the flight

2. When you arrive in Canada & the immigration officer asks 'what is the purpose of your visit & where will you be staying .....

Leads it back to 'I am a Canadian' (proof is in the British passport & short form Canadian birth certificate), travelling on a British passport, entering Canada

Good luck
Old Jul 7th 2016, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

never lie to the CBSA

I'm no expert, just trying to help solve this using common sense approach

Can you delay your travel until you get a new long form BC & Canadian passport in the UK?

From my previous post you likely will need that return ticket for two reasons..

1.You likely wont be allowed to board the flight

2. When you arrive in Canada & the immigration officer asks 'what is the purpose of your visit & where will you be staying .....

Leads it back to 'I am a Canadian' (proof is in the British passport & short form Canadian birth certificate), travelling on a British passport, entering Canada

Good luck
I can't I start a job in Vancouver on the 15th August. From applying to get my birth cert and making the application it has taken 5 months, so don't have that kind of time
Old Jul 7th 2016, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

A birth certificate is not prima facie evidence of Canadian citizenship but it is an indicator.
I suggest you do the following

1. Arrive before 29 Sept on the UK passport with no eTA.
2. On arrival you would produce your Canadian birth certificate along with your UK passport and hand them over to the CBSA officer. Politely state you are in the process of applying for a Canadian passport and that you were born in Canada.
If the officer believes you they can either refer you to Immigration for further checks or just allow you in if they believe you are a Canadian citizen.
Canadian citizens have a right of entry into Canada however the onus is on you to prove such.
As for working you can but without a SIN that is a problem between you and Service Canada

Keep it simple and this comes from a CBSA officer.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
A birth certificate is not prima facie evidence of Canadian citizenship but it is an indicator.
I suggest you do the following

1. Arrive before 29 Sept on the UK passport with no eTA.
2. On arrival you would produce your Canadian birth certificate along with your UK passport and hand them over to the CBSA officer. Politely state you are in the process of applying for a Canadian passport and that you were born in Canada.
If the officer believes you they can either refer you to Immigration for further checks or just allow you in if they believe you are a Canadian citizen.
Canadian citizens have a right of entry into Canada however the onus is on you to prove such.
As for working you can but without a SIN that is a problem between you and Service Canada

Keep it simple and this comes from a CBSA officer.
What do you mean by believing me ? I now very panicked that I'm going to get turned around at immigration and sent back to UK, which would mean I will lose my job. To get my SIN they state on the website all I need to do is provide birth cert as supporting documentation
Old Jul 7th 2016, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean by believing me ? I now very panicked that I'm going to get turned around at immigration and sent back to UK, which would mean I will lose my job. To get my SIN they state on the website all I need to do is provide birth cert as supporting documentation
As I said a birth certificate is not prima facie evidence of citizenship.
Taken from the CIC ENF 4 Manual for POE officers section 9.3 page 39 of this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf04-eng.pdf

A Canadian provincial birth certificate is a good indicator of Canadian citizenship but does not contain a photograph. The border services officer must therefore be satisfied that the person is the rightful holder.

Read section 9.4 for more info.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

Service Canada the just a very slow service - expect to be in queue for a few hours but you will get it there and then.

Could you get a certificate of citizenship or does brith cert trump that anyway?

When you get to immigration, I would present uk passport, birth certificate, job contract and if you can any email correspondence from passport Canada (or uk guys you've been in contact with) to show you are in the process of getting a Canadian passport. Explain you are a Canadian citiZen awaiting paperwork but it has been delayed and you are coming out to work.
Someone may correct me here, but, I think it would be very unlikely that they would take issue with such evidence (unless you strike unlucky) and they would stamp uk passport with 6month entry / you can the contact Csba in the next 6 months of you want to (I haven't) . I spent the entire flight stressing about this bit as we knew the paperwork wasn't right but we were ok.

Alternatively, buy a return for 6months time choose a point when its cheap and have a flexi ticket as you are bound to want a jolly back at some point.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
As I said a birth certificate is not prima facie evidence of citizenship.
Taken from the CIC ENF 4 Manual for POE officers section 9.3 page 39 of this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf04-eng.pdf

A Canadian provincial birth certificate is a good indicator of Canadian citizenship but does not contain a photograph. The border services officer must therefore be satisfied that the person is the rightful holder.

Read section 9.4 for more info.
Ah ok that makes sense, thanks
Old Jul 7th 2016, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bert07
Service Canada the just a very slow service - expect to be in queue for a few hours but you will get it there and then.

Could you get a certificate of citizenship or does brith cert trump that anyway?

When you get to immigration, I would present uk passport, birth certificate, job contract and if you can any email correspondence from passport Canada (or uk guys you've been in contact with) to show you are in the process of getting a Canadian passport. Explain you are a Canadian citiZen awaiting paperwork but it has been delayed and you are coming out to work.
Someone may correct me here, but, I think it would be very unlikely that they would take issue with such evidence (unless you strike unlucky) and they would stamp uk passport with 6month entry / you can the contact Csba in the next 6 months of you want to (I haven't) . I spent the entire flight stressing about this bit as we knew the paperwork wasn't right but we were ok.

Alternatively, buy a return for 6months time choose a point when its cheap and have a flexi ticket as you are bound to want a jolly back at some point.
I take you entered on uk passport and Canadian birth certificate? Did you get asked many questions?
Old Jul 7th 2016, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

Re working - sin number trumps visa effectively as it has an expiry date (as a citizen your sin does not expire) so if you have a sin you can work regardless of what is stamped in your passport.

(Disclaimer here - this is for this situation and not general visas etc, I know nothing about them!!)

Eta comes into force in September so the not having a return shouldn't be an issue for the airline/being allowed to board.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

I take you entered on uk passport and Canadian birth certificate? Did you get asked many questions?
I. came in with uk passport and Canadian citizenship certificate. They asked me how I got citizenship - I am sure it helped that I was quite knowledgable at explaining that my eldest also had citizenship but youngest two didn't because they were born after 2009. I always get asked why I have it - I am pretty sure the link to my dads citizenship is noted in the file as a security question as I get asked if every time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.