In a canadian passport pickle

Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In a canadian passport pickle

Also, as this is the entry point for you emigrating, you will need to be declaring all the things you are bringing/financial stuff as per customs/import rules. So if you tell them it's a holiday you can't do that and this will cause problems down the line for tax etc.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh that's exactly why I didn't want to go down the road of falsely applying for a visitor visa
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:19 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

For the sake of a few months, would it not be better to get a new long form birth certificate from Ontario & put in anew Canadian passport application?

The CBSA chap that posts on BE is a member that could jump in on this with more as to 'the best approach'

Post 38 sorted it, go with that information would be my suggestion

Last edited by not2old; Jul 7th 2016 at 11:23 am. Reason: edited
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

Worth reading up on tax rules to see how the apply to your situation- we were able to claim some moving expenses (or just keep all receipts for the next couple of months and deal with it later as it won't be till new year that you can file anyway)
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
To recap....

OP, you have posted that you were born in Canada which makes you a Canadian citizen through & through, unless at some point you renounced that Canadian citizenship?

That you only have a British passport + a short form Canadian birth certificate?

That you plan to travel UK to Vancouver in August this year?

Everything I posted above is 'what may happen as you go through the steps retruning to Canada.

For the sake of a few months, would it not be better to get a new long form birth certificate from Ontario & put in anew Canadian passport application?

There is a CBSA chap that posts on BE who is a member that could jump in on this with more as to 'the best approach'
Yes that is correct. However I start my new job in Vancouver on August 15th, I will lose the job if I wait 5months to get a new birth cert and passport. Yes I was born in Canada and currently have a British passport (moved back to Scotland with my Scottish parents as a child) not even sure how one would even go about renouncing citizenship
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:26 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

read post 48 again & go with what the CBSA chap posted at post 38 & post 40
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Cheers, yup I will. Was just replying to your recap
Old Jul 9th 2016, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

just little update....as it would turn out harassing the embassy works. I've to go in on tuesday for a same day passport
Old Jul 9th 2016, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm following this thread with interest.
Well done!
Where do you have to go to?

S
Old Jul 10th 2016, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Yay!! It will likely be an emergency/temporary passport that will expire once you get to Canada, so expect to have to get your birth cert and apply for a new, full 10 year passport when you get to Canada. On the upside, it will definitely be cheaper here, $160 for the 10yr vs $260 + other fees from abroad.
Good luck!
Old Jul 10th 2016, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Snowy: I have to go to the embassy in London

Gozit; they've actually said they may be able to process a 10year one as I have another just under 3 weeks until travel. Was really surprised given that the process time through London at the moment is 35 business days
Old Jul 10th 2016, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianInGasgow
Snowy: I have to go to the embassy in London

Gozit; they've actually said they may be able to process a 10year one as I have another just under 3 weeks until travel. Was really surprised given that the process time through London at the moment is 35 business days
Ah OK. When you said same-day I thought you meant you would walk out with the passport that day. If it was a full 10 year one it would be sent back to Canada for processing then sent via post to you.

for you either way
Old Jul 10th 2016, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

To be honest the embassy were absolutely adamant that my British passport plus Canadian birth certificate was enough. I'm just not so convinced lol would rather the passport in my hand
Old Jul 10th 2016, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You've done well. I think you'll be happier too with the passport.

S
Old Jul 10th 2016, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CanadianInGasgow
To be honest the embassy were absolutely adamant that my British passport plus Canadian birth certificate was enough. I'm just not so convinced lol would rather the passport in my hand
It would be until 29th September, but its better to have the passport anyways. Besides, didn't they lose your birth certificate, so now you don't have one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.