Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is 43 too old to emigrate to canada?

Is 43 too old to emigrate to canada?

Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is 43 too old to emigrate to canada?

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
Wait, a Canadian company asked you these questions in a job interview? I thought these sorts of questions were illegal...?
In B.C., discrimination occurs when someone is treated differently and poorly because of their race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital or family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, age (19 years and over), criminal conviction (in employment), political belief (in employment), or lawful source of income (in tenancy).

I guess that asking questions about family in a job interview lays an employer open to a claim of discrimination. However, in my experience, employers are concerned that the person they hire will fit into the culture of the company. They therefore want to know something of the applicant's life beyond technical job skills. Some employers might view someone with a family as more likely to stick around.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Herbers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jobob
2, And do Canadians employers see the benefits of having someone who has experience in other disciplines and industries.
If there’s anyone out there that can shed any light and maybe give us an idea if Canada has opportunities worth trying for, I’d appreciate it.
Thanks.

Hi, I work for a company that looks to hire from all over the world as we have a hard time hiring experienced technicians. So, not 43 is not too old! If you are willing to move to Alberta, the oil patch is usually looking to hire and pays great wages. The Alberta and Saskatchewan unemployment rate is very low compared to Ontario and B.C.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jobob
Both myself and my wife are 43 with a young family 9yrs & 2yrs. We’ve delayed pressing the button until now. So…
I don’t have a degree and my career has morphed over the years in different engineering and civil industries. I’m a project planner these days working in the water utilities. I moved into planning from a co-ordination job and was previously a time served electro-mechanical design draughtsman(20yrs)
When I check out the jobs market all I can see are degree+ jobs with specific requirements and a lot of specific experience.
1, My main concern job wise is whether my age will go against my employability.
2, And do Canadians employers see the benefits of having someone who has experience in other disciplines and industries.
If there’s anyone out there that can shed any light and maybe give us an idea if Canada has opportunities worth trying for, I’d appreciate it.
Thanks.
From our experience and from others I've talked to, if you're older, getting a job is not the problem, but getting your non-Canadian experience taken in to account might be. By that I mean that it's possible to get a job in your field, but don't expect to join a company at the same level as you had in the UK.

To some extent, you could be starting from scratch.