Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is 43 too old to emigrate to canada?

Is 43 too old to emigrate to canada?

Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:35 am
Just Joined

jobob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is 43 too old to emigrate to canada?

Both myself and my wife are 43 with a young family 9yrs & 2yrs. We’ve delayed pressing the button until now. So…
I don’t have a degree and my career has morphed over the years in different engineering and civil industries. I’m a project planner these days working in the water utilities. I moved into planning from a co-ordination job and was previously a time served electro-mechanical design draughtsman(20yrs)
When I check out the jobs market all I can see are degree+ jobs with specific requirements and a lot of specific experience.
1, My main concern job wise is whether my age will go against my employability.
2, And do Canadians employers see the benefits of having someone who has experience in other disciplines and industries.
If there’s anyone out there that can shed any light and maybe give us an idea if Canada has opportunities worth trying for, I’d appreciate it.
Thanks.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is 43 too old to emigrate to canada?

seriously doubt age will be against you.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

jobob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
seriously doubt age will be against you.
I guess my question is coming from the situation where I am now in UK. All the guys and my boss I work with are younger than me.

I'm going to apply for jobs through linkedin as this seems the besst way to seek out canadian employers. If your a professional your on linked in these days.
Thanks
Old Mar 7th 2013, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

Well I came over at 45 and have had no problems.... I'm a PM
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jobob
Both myself and my wife are 43 with a young family 9yrs & 2yrs. We’ve delayed pressing the button until now. So…
I don’t have a degree and my career has morphed over the years in different engineering and civil industries. I’m a project planner these days working in the water utilities. I moved into planning from a co-ordination job and was previously a time served electro-mechanical design draughtsman(20yrs)
When I check out the jobs market all I can see are degree+ jobs with specific requirements and a lot of specific experience.
1, My main concern job wise is whether my age will go against my employability.
2, And do Canadians employers see the benefits of having someone who has experience in other disciplines and industries.
If there’s anyone out there that can shed any light and maybe give us an idea if Canada has opportunities worth trying for, I’d appreciate it.
Thanks.
In my experience age is less of a factor for an employer over here in Canada than it was in the UK.

The problem you may get, especially without a degree, is accumulating the 67 points needed for residency. The points matrix will be changing in May to favour younger applicants and the points available for age diminish after 35.

However, I believe one still gets 10 points for a job offer plus another 5 for that job offer under adaptability, boosting the score by 15 points or so.

Have a look on www.cic.gc.ca at the proposed new system. If you want to apply as a Federal Skilled Worker you can try to squeeze in the batch of intake re-opening in May 2013 (two months' time) with no job offer - there likely be a cap on this though and it's expected that the cap will be reached in a matter of weeks, maybe even days. But as I said without a job offer you may struggle to mass the required 67 points.

OR if you can secure a job offer from a Canadian employer you can apply under Category 2. The offer has to be approved by the government (they'll take into consideration things like ensuring the job is at least average wage and required proof that no suitable Canadian citizen or resident could be found for the job).

If you do apply you'll have a considerable amount of supporting documentation to get together (IELTS language results test, education documents, work references etc).

IMO your age will not be a problem once you are over here, but the wall of bureaucracy you will have to break through to get here may be somewhat trickier! ;p

Best of luck!
Wayne.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

I came to Canada on an LMO and TWP, once I arrived I applied for the PR and was successful.

My occupation was on the FSW list so it was relatively easy. I had to complete police reports, IELTS language test , medical ( completed in canada ) and letter from employer to say my job was a permanent offer.

From when I applied for the PR to acceptance and receiving the COPR was in total 8 - 9 months.

When you look at other post such as the " 2011 FSW timeline club " you will see the LMO route is the best route to take if you can secure an job offer.

Best of luck.... Look around the posts and take notes!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Pension provision would be my main concern. Not going to have enough years in either the UK or Cdn government schemes, so really it depends on how well provided for you are outside of that, and how transferable it will be.

As far as living and moving 43 is OK, Id worry about job seeking if in my 50s maybe... I just wouldnt want to be old and poor in Canada. Or just poor in canada come to that.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 4:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waggle
The problem you may get, especially without a degree, is accumulating the 67 points needed for residency.
Worth noting OP, that's only for PR as a FSW though, there are numerous other routes available.

Originally Posted by Waggle
Have a look on www.cic.gc.ca at the proposed new system. If you want to apply as a Federal Skilled Worker you can try to squeeze in the batch of intake re-opening in May 2013 (two months' time) with no job offer
Only if his job is on 'the list' though.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Almost the big 40 myself and was worried to the extent that I removed my DOB from my CV.
Why did I worry?

I phoned an employer,got a phone interview with the Ops manager via the head of HR,got the job after a 'chat'.

The questions that worried me were:
How old are you?
How many kids do you have?
How old are your kids?(almost 5,almost 7,and 8)

The reason I was worried was the old UK stigma of 40 is old,and I had talked to an engineer in December who told how he had a job lined up in Canada,but when he mentioned he was married the employers lost interest.

My new employer was happy with EVERY answer,and the only work related questions I was asked were:
Are you willing to work overtime?
Do you want to work on site,or in the factory?

So hell NO you are not too old at 45,and the kids will adapt better than us most likely.
The only concern that I do have is the old pension,but I am sure that I can work something out there.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

I started my first job over here on my 46th birthday. We came over on an TWP. I would say my employer values experience, a good work ethic and being a team player above all else.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:37 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb

I phoned an employer,got a phone interview with the Ops manager via the head of HR,got the job after a 'chat'.

The questions that worried me were:
How old are you?
How many kids do you have?
How old are your kids?(almost 5,almost 7,and 8)
Wait, a Canadian company asked you these questions in a job interview? I thought these sorts of questions were illegal...?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

chinglish is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been greatly encouraged at age 50 by the feedback I have had from the network I am building in Toronto about my INCREASED employability, whereas the UK they are negative about my age. Speaking to other software management professionals there is a problem of younger people going across to the States creating a shortage in Canada - and older is seen as wiser and more stable. Just a simple search on LinkedIn for similar people in similar roles in Canada makes me feel quite young.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
Wait, a Canadian company asked you these questions in a job interview? I thought these sorts of questions were illegal...?
Not sure if the questions are illegal or actually discriminating is,at least in the UK,I have no idea about those laws in Canada.

I took it they would ask these questions to know a bit more about the person they are employing though.

I was also asked if I wanted to Live in Canada,or just work in Canada,I replied that my long term goal is to Live permanently in Canada,he replied "Good!".

Its all good,I have the job,got an email today saying that my LMO,and official job offer are being sent Fed ex today and I should have them in 3-4 days,just as well as I handed in a weeks notice at my work today lol.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

That's great news. Good luck with the move, new job and of course your new life here in Canada!

You will arrive at a great time of the year.

Hope all goes well.

Roger
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aqua
That's great news. Good luck with the move, new job and of course your new life here in Canada!

You will arrive at a great time of the year.

Hope all goes well.

Roger
Thank you very much friend!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.